News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Stewart

McArthur Hobe Sound
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
What are your thoughts about this Fazio track.

Given the choice Old Marsh or McArthur ?

archie_struthers

Re: McArthur Hobe Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »
 ;D 8) ;)

I missed playing McArthur on my recent trip to Florida, but many of my golf buddies really like it. One thing in particular they appreciated was the lack of any housing anywhere near the golf course .... a good thing

they said they weren't lots of crazy holes , or even much water..a standard Florida thing...and that the golf couse was pretty much right in front of you .....another good trait

to say they were underwhelmed and had lots of fun playing the golf course is the best attribute of all....the qualities are subtle

sounds like a pretty nice place to me

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
I played Old Marsh a number of years ago and really enjoyed it.  It is pretty tough because of the forced carries.  Very typical of Dye from that time period with mounding and very significant green contours.  There are some homes around the course but they are set pretty far back and are so big that the number is limited.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
McArthur is an excellent Fazio golf course.  You feel totally in tune with nature out there with no housing and abundant wildlife (namely birds.)  A couple of thing standout about the design; the par fives that are very strategic and heroic, notably 5, 9, and 15, the other being the interesting green contouring.  I still have not totally figured the greens out despite having played McArthur on many occasions.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
I believe Nick Price had as much to do with the design of this very fine Florida course as Tom Fazio did - if not more. I would think it has to be one of the best in Florida. Very 'under the radar'.

Given the choice - McArthur every day and not just over Old Marsh.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:28:58 PM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hoG7_ukb1w

Chris Deariso and Co. do a great job....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
My friend who works at the club said he double rolled, double cut them on mower heights that were lower than they have ever been! I guess they were for some of the local Tour pros to practise on in readyness for Augusta. I hear the greens on the course are not too different.

I wondered if McArthur would ever appear on GCA. Have many of you played it and what were your thoughts?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
Has anyone ever played a course that was all out in back of you? ;D

I enjoyed MacArthur
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Blain

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
I've had several friends play the course and not one of them have had a bad word to say about it. Quite the contrary, they have all really enjoyed it.

Many of them have preferred it over it's more famous neighbor - The Medalist.

There have been rumors that this is where Woods will hone the game when he and the family eventually make the move to Jupiter Island.

John

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
I wondered if McArthur would ever appear on GCA. Have many of you played it and what were your thoughts?
[/quote]

Precisely..I searched on here and found hardly anything noteworthy. Everytime I play Medalist the caddies mention how great the course is.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 05:59:50 PM »
I've had several friends play the course and not one of them have had a bad word to say about it. Quite the contrary, they have all really enjoyed it.

Many of them have preferred it over it's more famous neighbor - The Medalist.

There have been rumors that this is where Woods will hone the game when he and the family eventually make the move to Jupiter Island.

John
I heard last year he'd bought out the last 40 memberships!!!! Apart from it being a rumour - why would he or the membership want this to happen?
I think McArthur is friendlier and a little more forgiving than the Medalist. It also has a little more elevation change which makes it more pleasing on the eye. Both good courses in their own right. Especially in Florida which gets little love over it's amount of good courses. ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
You will enjoy both, McArthur is the better track, but Old Marsh is worth playing.

Sand is very white, bring dark sunglasses

Pass on Medalist, most unfavored by everyone here
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »
You will enjoy both, McArthur is the better track, but Old Marsh is worth playing.

Sand is very white, bring dark sunglasses

Pass on Medalist, most unfavored by everyone here

Cary,

Thanks for 411. I have played the Medalist many times and enjoy it. The tight lies around the green complexes remind me  of a certain course getting a lot attention right now. It allows one to play a lot of different shots-putt, chip, nipper, chunk and run--take your pick.

Have you played North Palm Beach CC recently?  We have this set up for a second 18, hit and giggle type round.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
I have played Medalist and enjoyed it as well.  It is tough as nails and "softened" it over the years.  But a number of my friends who were members moved over to McArthur.  I not yet played it but look forward to it if I ever get down there.  They seem to want to be a secret however.  Anyone know why?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dean Stokes

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
I have played Medalist and enjoyed it as well.  It is tough as nails and "softened" it over the years.  But a number of my friends who were members moved over to McArthur.  I not yet played it but look forward to it if I ever get down there.  They seem to want to be a secret however.  Anyone know why?
Tommy,

I think that's the way the owners and the membership like it. Understated! They don't need to shout about it. They know what they've got and like it that way - IMHO. In this era of private clubs needing to see themselves in every magazine ranking, a club like McArthur (that I understand told the Golf course raters "no thankyou"), would seem a breath of fresh air.

Warren_Henderson

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
FYI - the original developers of the club had contacted Nick with regard to designing the course. While Nick had been involved in a number of projects up until that time he had not made the decision to pursue design full time, mostly due to his playing commitments. Nick chose to bring in Fazio. Andy Banfield was the lead associate from the Fazio group and Nick worked very closely with him through out the project. Nick lives only about 5 minutes from the course and he spent several days almost every week during construction attending to all the details of the project. These details can be seen most evidently in the ground game aspects that are an important part of the course. The collaboration between Fazio and Nick proved to be a very successful one in that the course embodies aspects that are unique to each individual, I think this will be clear upon playing the golf course.

As a side note the superintendent Chris Deariso and his staff do an excellent job in keeping the golf course in the firm and fast condition that Nick believes is fundamental to the game. To achieve the 17.5 reading on the stimpmeter they had quadruple cut the green at a setting of .065 of an inch and rolled the green for three hours each day for four days. Great to do to accomodate a few TOUR players heading to Augusta but certailnly not anything they would ever do on the golf course.

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »
A question:

I'm not sure I know what Fazio's McArthur is or where it is. I certainly remember Dye's Old Marsh and playing it not long after it opened. That one was unforgettable, to say the least.

But another question is I'm not sure I know any longer what it is that's referred to as Hobe Sound.

In my years down there going back many decades, whenever one referred to Hobe Sound all that was considered to be was the island the Reeds bought after WW2 and slowly parceled out to their friends and those they approved of.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 06:13:57 AM »
A question:

I'm not sure I know what Fazio's McArthur is or where it is. I certainly remember Dye's Old Marsh and playing it not long after it opened. That one was unforgettable, to say the least.

But another question is I'm not sure I know any longer what it is that's referred to as Hobe Sound.

In my years down there going back many decades, whenever one referred to Hobe Sound all that was considered to be was the island the Reeds bought after WW2 and slowly parceled out to their friends and those they approved of.

Hope Sound is the name of a city, just a tad north of Tequesta, which is a tad north of Jupiter. Jupiter Island is an island east of Tequesta. It is different from Jupiter and one side borders the intercoustal and the other side is on the Atlantic Ocean.

Jupiter Island is where Norman lived, Woods bought, Floyd lives, many CEO's, big time money is on that island, very laid back, old money more than new money, giant value on homes and land, most of the old stuff is teardowns like Tiger puchased.

North of Hope Sound is Stuart.

Jupiter Hills is in Tequesta, McArthur and Medalist are in Hobe Sound. There are a few other courses in Hobe Sound, all old and all part of older, cheaper gated communities.

There will be no more golf courses in this area along the intercoastal or ocean until Martin County removes its band. Maybe they would do it for Tiger.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dean Stokes

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:43 PM »
I had the chance to play the Jupiter Island Club the other week. Although it only plays at 6400 yards - what a great little golf course. I must do some research and find out who designed it. Several holes sit along the intercoastal waterway and wrap around small lagoons. The green complexes are simple, well bunkered and without too many big humps and hollows.
I should have maybe entered this in the thread about courses you could play everyday without getting bored.
A friend played the recently re done Old Marsh yesterday and found it to be a very good course. Excellent condition - he said you just need to play it a couple of times to know where you are going.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back