News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Who is P L Forgan of Omaha, Nebraska circa 1908
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »
Who is P L Forgan of Omaha, Nebraska circa 1908

I have being going through those that attended Old Tom Morris’s Funeral in May 1908 and come across the name of  P L Forgan given his address as  Omaha, Nebraska, USA. Nothing else is mentioned and wondered if he had any involvement in any early course design or manufacture of clubs in the States?

Anyone come across this gentleman?

Marty Bonnar

Re: Who is P L Forgan of Omaha, Nebraska circa 1908
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
Melvyn,
having trawled what seemed like the entire great big interweb, I can find one, and one only reference to a P L Forgan.
Luckily, it's got a St Andrews connection at about the right time:

http://www.madras.fife.sch.uk/archive/magazines/1933june/prize%20list.html

Mr F apparently presented the 'Good Fellowship Prize (for Boys) in 1933...

Could be our man...?

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »
Melvyn,

This is NOT your man but I thought it might be interesting to you anyway. From An American Golfer article from 1932 (soon after D R  Forgan’s death) comes the following:

Mr. Forgan came from grey St.Andrews, where I myself have seen the golf shop of his father and relatives alongside of the eighteenth hole of that famous course. He was brought up in the atmosphere and ways of a game that was to mean much to men situated like Mr. Ames [another who’d recently passed away] in far off America. Not that Mr. Ames was not a most original sportsman; but while Mr. Forgan was playing golf from an early age in a natural, neighborly way, Mr. Ames was playing baseball, football, and performing  miracles on the running track and in the field events. …Mr. Forgan came to America with his golf, and Mr. Ames was graduated from a university without a game, and they both came to Chicago for their business. Mr. Forgan's game was kept up so well that he almost lost one of his first important positions in pursuit of it. Mr. Forgan was ordered to appear before his employer and was told that his, Forgan's, golf-playing was endangering the success of the business. And Mr. Forgan replied that if the business was that shaky he did not think that he should be associated with it. Mr. Forgan did not lose his job, and he and his employer spent many an hour playing the good old game….."

Peter

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Martin

Yes, I noticed the Madras Collage connection, but not certain it’s
the same guy.
I am still interested in what he was doing in the USA around 1908.

Peter

Thanks, enjoyed the article. I think that the P L Forgan must be part of the shop family – but would like to know why he gave his address as Omaha Nebraska

Thanks for the search

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
From Golf History & Tradition, David Stirk.

"Peter Lawrence Forgan (1885-1942)

One of Forgan's grandsons, Peter, remained inthe forgan firm until they were taken over by Spaldings inthe 1930's.
Forgan's other two grandsons went to America and became successful bankers."
Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:07:55 PM »
Tony

Thanks for filling in the blanks

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back