News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: How to treat old redesign work on restoration projects?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »
I should offer a very good example of this kind of dilemma represented by the discussions and considerations going on right now around The Creek Club's 3rd hole. The problems and solutions are definitely not easy to resolve. The alternatives are interested and varied including the alternative to do nothing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »

It's funny, the people selecting the "high water mark" for the architecture of the course are the ones you don't trust to "do what's best for the membership" now...how has that worked out Pat?

About the same as my strident belief in the Constitution and my overriding distrust for those charged with administering it, the bumbling, inept politicians.

It should be obvious to you that all of the many horrible disfigurations of golf features, holes and golf courses have been carried out by the keen judgement of "memberships" you seem to trust and revere.

Sleep deprivation and inexperience with club politics are a dangerous combination
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:46:35 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

I should offer a very good example of this kind of dilemma represented by the discussions and considerations going on right now around The Creek Club's 3rd hole. The problems and solutions are definitely not easy to resolve. The alternatives are interested and varied including the alternative to do nothing.

TEPaul,

There aren't always "perfect" solutions, but, invariably, there are "prudent" solutions.

However, democracy doesn't always lead to them.

Mike Policano

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
Gents,

What are your thoughts on a course that was not built exactly as designed presumably due to the governing members (at that time) instructing the architect to do otherwise.

Then a current group of governing members decide to restore the course generally as built but not as originally designed, even though the original design might be architecturally better in today's environment?

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
MikeP:

We've certainly seen instances of that kind of thing with Flynn's multiple plan iterations on various courses. A good example is what he originally had planned for the middle of Shinnecock's #15. Another example is what happened over time to his constructed "Undulating sand areas" on particularly #5 and #6.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back