News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Alwoodley, Moortown and ?
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »
Travel question I'm afraid....

If I were to take a group to just North of Leeds, which third course would I play with these two?... And where would I stay?

Need the accomodation to be fairly luxurious biggish hotel pretty close by... corporate types... you know the score....

Thanks for any help on this OT subject...

Feel free to discuss why these courses are so good if you want to bring it back On Topic...

Andrew Mitchell

Re: Alwoodley, Moortown and ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:11:22 AM »
Ally

The glib answer is probably to play another round at Alwoodley but it may not be what your group want to hear!

The only other course in Yorkshire in the same league as Alwoodley is Ganton but its a good hours drive from Leeds.  It would be worth the journey if you could fit it into the schedule.

As you know North Leeds is MacKenzie country and there are several courses there which use him as a claim to fame. Still in the North Leeds area are Sand Moor and Headingley, although I'm not sure how much of Mackenzie remains at either course.  There is also an RTJ Senior course (his first in the UK?) at Moor Allerton with lots of water if you like that sort of thing.

Outside of Alwoodley & Moortown my favourite West Yorkshire course is Ilkley which meanders alongside & over the River Wharfe and is not as easy as it first looks!  It would be my recommedation as it is a quality course and they make visitors very welcome. Probably less than half an hours drive from Leeds.

As regards accomodation you may be aware Buda 2007 was at Alwoodley.  There seemed to be positive reaction to the rooms at Headingley Lodge which would be of interest to any cricket buffs in your party.  Alternatives in the area would be Haleys and the Harewood Arms.  However none of these fit into the mould of a big corporate type of hotel which you refer to and you may have to go into central Leeds where you will find a Marriott, Hilton etc.

Alternatively there is a Marriott hotel and golf course at Hollins Hall near Baildon, about 30 minutes from Alwoodley.  The course is quite good if you were looking for a warm up.

Feel free to contact me if want any other information.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:20:26 AM »
I wouldn't recommend Moor Allerton.  I was very unimpressed when I played there.  I'd be interested in any opinions on Sand Moor as I'm considering a trip to play an open there later this year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:26:57 AM »
Thanks for the answer Andrew.

With this group, I usually have to disguise my true intention by wrapping them up in a pretend luxury bubble... The hotel doesn't necessarily have to be large but there has to be good local reason if not so...

I will look in to the BUDA '07 venue but I could easily sway Holins Hall if it is only 30 minutes away... one round there and one each at Alwoodley and Moortown... I'll make the trip to Ganton on my own

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:32 AM »
Ally

Not played many courses in this part of the country, apart from Dewsbury District Golf Club as a young man. Check out the web site http://www.dewsburygolf.co.uk/ , may be an option.

Also if you are driving further North and want a break with a 9 hole course,
I would suggest Warkworth Golf Club on the coast in Northumberland
http://www.englishgolf-courses.co.uk/northumberland/warkworth.php
It is sited near Alnwick (the castle in the Harry Potter Films) on the A1068 to Amble at Warkworth – great stopover or just a break, small village, links course. Also designed by Old Tom in 1891, same year as Askernisk.

May not be what you are looking for but gives you a choice, can’t comment
on Dewsbury as been many years.   

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
There is a big complex as you head up the hill out of Headingley going towards Alwoddley/Moortown.  It has a huge roundabout right next to it.  If you are wanting a new hotel complex to suit the corporate types, that is possibly an option.  I'll ask my sister tonight what the name is (she lives in Headingley, 12000 miles from home).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
Ally

Fixby (Huddersfield) would be the course I'd check out.  It's on the wrong side of Leeds for you (only 10 miles south),  but is an historic club and looks super in the photos I've seen.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Ilkley is a Colt and not far. It's on my list to go to.. Peugeot Golf Guide gives it 17/20.

Ash Towe

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Ally,
You might like to consider Pannel, near Harrogate.
I could also recommend Ilkley.  Interesting course and a great setting.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:45:51 AM »
For city centre hotels you may want to consider Quebecs or 42 The Calls.  Friends of mine have said both are very good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 05:54:42 AM »
Thanks folks...

I think the easiest way to sell this will be staying at the resort type place of either Hollins Hall or Oulton Hall but playing only one of the rounds there...

...They like to think they can walk out on to the golf course from their breakfast...

I'm intrigued by Ilkley so I may include that on the agenda...

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 06:14:25 AM »
Ally

The hotel at Hollins Hall is excellent, much better then the golf course. The breakfast is quite good and it will take the substantial climb to the first tee to work it off.

The course has some good holes. The best thing it will do is, on future trips the guys will only want to play courses like Moortown and Alwoodley, so an extra bit of driving to places like Ganton won't need too much persuading.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:19 AM »
As for Hotel, the city of Harrogate, on the outside of Leeds is really cool I felt, no traffic jams to get to the courses too

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:21 AM »
There is a big complex as you head up the hill out of Headingley going towards Alwoddley/Moortown.  It has a huge roundabout right next to it.  If you are wanting a new hotel complex to suit the corporate types, that is possibly an option.  I'll ask my sister tonight what the name is (she lives in Headingley, 12000 miles from home).

James B

James/Ally

That would be Weetwood Hall.  Another one I've remembered since posting yesterday is the Ramada Jarvis at Bramhope, only a couple of miles from Alwoodley and nearer to Ilkley.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »
If I were to take a group to just North of Leeds, which third course would I play with these two?... And where would I stay?

Ally

Cant go past Ganton in a trio of courses arounds Leeds. Possibly Worksop / Lindrick at a stretch.

I used the De Vere group a lot in the UK...
http://www.devere.co.uk/golf/play-and-stay.aspx

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »
Ally,

I grew up in the area learning my golf at Dewsbury which is a great fun to play but I would recommend playing one of the several excellent courses in the Leeds area.

Right next to Alwoodley/Moortown are Sandmoor, a very good test with quite a lot of Mack still in it and Scarcroft which is also worth looking at. Ilkley is as mentioned good and Huddersfield (known locally as Fixby is also good. Then there are the moorland courses at Baildon and Bingley St.Ives both solid tracks or a little to the north the Harrogate courses of Pannal, Starbeck and Oakdale. To the east are the York courses of Fulford and Strensil both excellent. BUT, if you are willing to travel a bit further a field look no further than either Ganton to east or Lindrick to the south, both great courses.

As already mentioned, Moorallerton is very Trent Jones and even if your into that sort of course it is on clay so I would guess wet at the moment and impossible in more than a 10 mile wind.

Headingley is also a course with alot of Mack still in it.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
Ally,

I grew up in the area learning my golf at Dewsbury which is a great fun to play but I would recommend playing one of the several excellent courses in the Leeds area.

Right next to Alwoodley/Moortown are Sandmoor, a very good test with quite a lot of Mack still in it and Scarcroft which is also worth looking at. Ilkley is as mentioned good and Huddersfield (known locally as Fixby is also good. Then there are the moorland courses at Baildon and Bingley St.Ives both solid tracks or a little to the north the Harrogate courses of Pannal, Starbeck and Oakdale. To the east are the York courses of Fulford and Strensil both excellent. BUT, if you are willing to travel a bit further a field look no further than either Ganton to east or Lindrick to the south, both great courses.

As already mentioned, Moorallerton is very Trent Jones and even if your into that sort of course it is on clay so I would guess wet at the moment and impossible in more than a 10 mile wind.

Headingley is also a course with alot of Mack still in it.
John, I too grew up as a member of Dewsbury District Golf Club taking lessons off Nigel Hurst! I never once thought I'd read about it on GCA - maybe it'll be used in the same context as Pine Valley or Shinneconk one of these days!
I would recommend Fixby for a third course (biased) as I spent my next 10 years there as a member. You mentioned all the courses I would think of in the area except I would also possibly suggest Panal. Linderick used to be one of my favourites.
As for hotels I would take them to the Queens Hotel in Leeds City Centre and take them to Ak Bar for a tremendous curry. Cheers. Where you at now John?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
Dean,

I also learned my basics with Nigel and still get his input now and again when I am in the area. I am currently in Switzerland but my Mum is still living in Horbury. I have one or two people that I will contact for a game that frequent this website but unfortunately I haven't had the chance the last few times.

Your right Fixby is a super course and the par 4 16th is one of the holes that I would describe as having the feeling of a perfect hole. For Panal read my post again, I spelt it with 2 n's oops!

I was a member at Dewsbury between 1976 and 1985 as a junior before moving to Howley Hall to work for Stephen Spinks. When were you at Dewsbury?

Oh, have you played another of my yorkshire favourites Crossland Heath?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
I wouldn't recommend Moor Allerton.  I was very unimpressed when I played there.  I'd be interested in any opinions on Sand Moor as I'm considering a trip to play an open there later this year.

Mark
I haven't played Sand Moor as when we've arranged to have a game in North Leeds we've always gone to Alwoodley or Moortown.  It's supposed to be good but not as good as the aforementioned.  I'm not sure how much MacKenzie is left.

If you fancy coming down for a game sometime I'd be delighted to join you.

Ilkley is a Colt and not far. It's on my list to go to.. Peugeot Golf Guide gives it 17/20.

Lloyd
When you get down as far as Ilkley on your list please let me know.  I'd be delighted to join you.  Ilkley is always a pleasure to play.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
Andrew,

Nothing planned at the moment (other than a likely entry with a colleague into their 4BBB Open on 14 September) but I'll certainly give you a shout if I do decide to visit. 

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »
Ally

I see some hotel recommendations

Quebecs is a NO NO. I stayed there recently, it is a shambles! 42 the Calls is great, but small reception made check out rather slow once. There is  a Hotel du Vin in Harrogate I've been meaning to check out - I think with your guests this would be ideal - great food, wine and fantastic whiskey and cigar selections (walk in humidors at several HDVs).

James Bennett

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
I have eaten at Hotel Du Vin in Harrogate - the wine list is exceptional but so is the price.  However, it is a most impressive place and well worth a visit for the big dinner.

Weetwood Hall - thats it Andrew, well done.

What is the name of the big estate between Leeds and Harrogate - is it Harewood House?  The huge house with the stately gardens, gardens designed by Capability Brown (did I get that right?) and including that ditch/wall thingy that TEPaul gets excited about (was it a hah-hah ???.  Sorry, the memory cells need to be reconfigured today).

Harrogate is an impressive place to visit, although it might not appeal to blokes on a golf trip.  What is it, 30 miles north of Leeds?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
My sister's advice (Headingley resident).

"The hotel is Weetwood Hall Hotel, Otley Road LEEDS 16  Tel +44.1132306000

Also, on the edge of Bramhope is the Holiday Inn (with gym + pool) described as the airport hotel, 08704009049

And between the two, is the Jarvis Parkway Intl Hotel & Country CLub ie gym & tennis, Otley Rd Tel +44 1132 672551 Fax 2674410"

James B

Andy Levett

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
Not played Ilkley but enjoyed Sand Moor. Whatever MacK did there, he did later in his career than Alwoodley and Moortown and the look and feel of the course is definitely different. Big, handsome, flashed sand bunkers have a similar look to pix of, say, Pasatiempo. Pannal not far away is also good. Agree with Mark to avoid Moor Allerton.

Ash Towe

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »
James,
Harewood House is indeed the stately home between Leeds and Harrogate.
Best restaurant in the are is The Box Tree in Ilkley.  Has/had a Michelin rating.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back