News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

El Diablo any good?
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:23 PM »
After having to cancel a planned golf escape to Michigan (too pretty there right now ;)), the crew and I are now headed south to Florida this weekend. 

The golf menu has a couple of regular staples for this bunch, namely both World Woods courses.  We're also heading over to sample the Bobby Weed redo at nearby Brooksville CC.

My question to you guys is, anyone played El Diablo and if so would you recommend a round there, maybe after we play Brooksville CC?

Jay Flemma

Re: El Diablo any good?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
I don't recommend El Diablow at all.  I think it was underdesigned and it turned my stomach how they call the bunker off the tee at 18 "Hell's Half Acre."  Bad marketing.

Plus, when I was there, the clubhouse and proshop were a glorified bud light beer tent.

Play World Woods instead.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
It's not as bad as Jay says. In comparison to WW, it does pale. But compared to most of the other offerings, it ain't that bad.
Decent movement and different looks. The course builds in momentum, and by the home hole. Mr. Fazio throws everything at you. (Or as much as you can with just two site visits) Don Maidlow did almost, if not all, the construction. He also built BDR.
 For under $50 it is better than a lot that charge more than double.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
I did a quick search on here and found that Jim Sullivan had good things to say about it, so I called down there and made a time.  I asked the lady in the shop for an unbiased opinion ::) on the condition of the greens and she said they're fast and 'velvety smooth' due to alot of rain this winter.

When I'm getting a phone call daily from my 'nemesis' down in Tampa, swearing to 'crush' me and that he's 'going to straight up murder' me (guess the movie  ;D ), I want a course where he can't keep it in play with his swing for the fence banana balls.  Google Earth reveals to me that El Diablo may deliver a nice payday...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:04:41 PM by Eric Smith »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »
I've played it twice and like it.  As good as WW?  Nope, but more than acceptable IMO.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back