News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rjsimper

Intimidating first tees - PUBLIC courses
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
When people talk about intimidating first tee shots, names like Riviera and Merion are often mentioned...and while those are scary first shots in their own right, certainly a lot of the hand-shaking is the result of the fact that these are private, world-class layouts that you just don't want to screw up. 

Are there any bone-shaking first tees on public courses, or is this phenomenon fundamentally linked with not wanting to stink up the place as an outsider?

For instance, if Bandon Dunes was private and on Long Island, would everyone talk about the fear of knocking a hole in the puffin window? 

Jim Johnson

Re: Intimidating first tees - PUBLIC courses
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
Ryan,

Banff Springs, Alberta...the original 18.

Golfed there one day with my wife; we were paired up with another couple. First hole....tee markers were near the back of the twenty-some yard long tee-box, just below the large terrace of the clubhouse/restaurant. I wound up and drilled my tee shot all of about nineteen yards, which soon was accompanied by the muffled snickers of a bus-load of Japanese tourists standing on the terrace above.  :-\

Remember it like yesterday.

JJ

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »
First tee at Bethpage Black if you're the first group off in the morning and hitting in front of a bunch of people.

I think it was the warning sign as much as anything else. You top one off that tee and you look like one of the guys who does the mach 3 snow plow down a double diamond at Hunter Mountain. (NY Jets sideline jacket and jeans optional).  
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:08:52 AM »
Torry Pines - South...with the balcony full of spectators who expect you to hit a great drive b/c you're at the farther back tees.  That will get the knees knocking...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »
First tee at Bethpage Black if you're the first group off in the morning and hitting in front of a bunch of people.

I think it was the warning sign as much as anything else. You top one off that tee and you look like one of the guys who does the mach 3 snow plow down a double diamond at Hunter Mountain. (NY Jets sideline jacket and jeans optional).  

thats pretty funny.

you'll find a crowd at any first tee at Bethpage.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »
Pebble - lots of onlookers around

and the course where i learned to play:  the 9-hole Chicago Park District course at Marquette Park...you had to tee off mats, so i remember having to bite my tee in half to get it be the proper height...was usually a crowd around, including some of the old-timers who were regular players

i remember one time we were waiting for our turn to tee off, and some of those old guys pulled the exploding ball trick on one of their friends.....their ensuing laughter reminded me of the way old guys on the Andy Griffith show used to laugh when Barney did something stupid.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
Pebble is the first that comes to mind. There is so much activity going on around that area that you just know that there are lots eyes on you. George is right, either course you play at Torrey will gurantee people watching you from the balcony.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
TOC

Plenty of waiting golfers AND passers by watching you play.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »
TOC

Plenty of waiting golfers AND passers by watching you play.

No kidding.  Not to mention you look like the biggest dope if you miss that fairway.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
My old home course in WA state....

1st hole used to OB left (homes), internal OB right (9th fairway).  While it wasn't a tight fairway it kinda sucked knowing there was a pretty decent chance you could be hitting 3 on the tee on the very first hole....not a fun way to start the round.

They changed it later on and removed the internal OB, so all better now.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
Only hole I particularly feel intimidated at Tobacco Road is #1 tee. Not just the people watching either. If you have never played there, and I have only once, you have a bit of a chore deciding what you are really looking at.

Fun start, and it never stops.

Doug

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I think it's technically public...

Number one tee on the Old White at the Greenbrier is perhaps the most difficult tee shot on the course.  The fact that it's three feet from the dining room window, and next to folks having afternoon tea outside, can make for an interesting takeaway.

WW

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
Greywalls, hard to figure where to hit it
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »
I thought about Tobacco Road too...but it occurred to me that the true sweaty-palms shots are more fear of humiliation than simply failure to execute...TOC #1 if it were the 14th hole at Topeka Muni would be the world's easiest shot, but Tobacco Road #1 if it were in that same position would still be pretty intimidating :)

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »

Number one tee on the Old White at the Greenbrier is perhaps the most difficult tee shot on the course.  The fact that it's three feet from the dining room window, and next to folks having afternoon tea outside, can make for an interesting takeaway.

WW

A point; 'technically' makes me think also of courses like Pebble and TOC. While I do not consider them public courses, I admit they are technically public access. But those who can afford to 'access' them are mostly either private club members or could be. And the greens fees are only a part of the cost/access.

Doug

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »
I have to agree with MP and CJC, the fact that the fairway is so wide on TOC, the passers by, fellow golfers and the R&A directly behind you makes for an extremely intimidating shot.

The only time I played TOC we had rather too much claret and port over lunch in the R&A, playing in 2 groups I was the last to drive with my 7 friends all comfortably down the middle.
Not only did I hit a good'un I hit the pin with my second shot, had it gone in it would have been worth retiring back to the clubhouse two under par for a few more glasses of something red!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »
Doug - TOC couldn't be any more public, anyone can pay their money and tee up once they have secured a tee time.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »

WW

A point; 'technically' makes me think also of courses like Pebble and TOC. While I do not consider them public courses, I admit they are technically public access. But those who can afford to 'access' them are mostly either private club members or could be. And the greens fees are only a part of the cost/access.

Doug

Doug,.

You're a mile off beam with TOC.  It's owned by a public trust.  As Mark says, it couldn't be any more public.  First time I played at TOC I was a member of a muni.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »

WW

Doug

Doug,.

You're a mile off beam with TOC.  It's owned by a public trust.  As Mark says, it couldn't be any more public.  First time I played at TOC I was a member of a muni.

Mark & Mark;

Really?

Now I am in the USA, so money to get there is prohibitive. But if I were there, and had a tee time, what would the greens fees actually be? Is it really much cheaper than Pebble and such?

Mark; like any golfer with a sense of history, I would love to play at this shrine of golf.
Vastly more than Pebble, or Pine Valley, or Augusta, this is a 'timeline' course. As an amatuer philosper and politician, I have a strong sense of history.

I will not likely ever get there ......... but who can tell.

Doug

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
Doug

TOC is a totally public course, it is by an act of Parliament and entrusted to the St Andrews Links Trust to look after and run it. But it is a public course.

As for green fees that’s a different matter. As for a shrine, no it’s just a golf course for REAL golfers. I’m sorry you don’t live over here and play the course more often.

But don’t forget you can’t play on Sunday, that is thanks to my family, He, He. 

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
Hehe Melvyn;

Well, you needn't worry that i would expect a cart anyway there. I would just take the trolley.

There is a trolley, yes? :D

More seriously, what is the fee for the course? Am I unfairly comparing it to Pebble's $400 + ancillaries?

Doug

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
The first tee of any KP event ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

CJ Carder

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
Mark & Mark;

Really?

Now I am in the USA, so money to get there is prohibitive. But if I were there, and had a tee time, what would the greens fees actually be? Is it really much cheaper than Pebble and such?

Mark; like any golfer with a sense of history, I would love to play at this shrine of golf.
Vastly more than Pebble, or Pine Valley, or Augusta, this is a 'timeline' course. As an amatuer philosper and politician, I have a strong sense of history.

I will not likely ever get there ......... but who can tell.

Doug

When I was there in August, TOC was 110 pounds ($230'ish) + caddie.  Of course, the caddie could always be eliminated if you wanted to carry your own bag, but no trolleys are allowed on the course until after I think 1030 or 11. 

But still, compare that to Pebble at $525 + whatever the nightly stay is, and you're looking at a bargain.  Not to mention the golf is much better.

Doug - if you can at all handle the airfare, the rest of the trip to Scotland can be truly quite reasonable.

George Freeman

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
Doug,

I played it this past February, which is the lowest greens fees teir of the year, and I paid 60 pounds ($120).  During peak season it gets up to 130 pounds ($260).

However, if you are a citizen of St. Andrews (or student/person living there), it is MUCH more affordable, via a Links Pass

Cheers
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
Also, obviously the weak US Dollar is currently making it as expensive as it is (nearly double)...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back