News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Request: We need more My Home Course profiles
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »
And of course I haven't even submitted mine yet. Shame on me, long time poster.

At any rate, I'd encourage any new members of the site - really, any members who haven't submitted one - to follow the many excellent examples out there and do a writeup on your home course.

I don't think Ran even has specific rules, such as it must be a club you belong to - I think public courses you play a lot are fine, I'd even guess if you're a caddy or grounds crew worker somewhere, we'd all love to hear your thoughts.

I'll try to finish mine shortly - right after the Pens' playoff run pays off a few more bills....

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott_Burroughs

Re: Request: We need more My Home Course profiles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:55:30 PM »
George,

I'm betting there are several waiting to be posted by Ran.  I submitted mine back in November, and he told me he wouldn't be able to consider working it in until after the site makeover earlier this year.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »
George,

I've been a member at my club for just one year. I'm waiting until I understand at least three or four of the holes before attempting to write a profile of the entire course.

Winters like this one don't make it any easier. Since my last round back in early November, I've forgotten what little I learned last year.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
I am just curious.  How many of you read the course profiles and My home course?  I know I try to look at some at least a couple of times a week.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
I am just curious.  How many of you read the course profiles and My home course?  I know I try to look at some at least a couple of times a week.

I look at them all of the time.  I think they are one of the finest features of this site.  I thought you did a great job on the Musgrove Mill write-up.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
I bet Dan Hermann is going to come out with his MHC profile of French Creek sometime this year.  That should be great, though he's been promising it for a few years now--hint hint. 

I wonder if Ran wouldn't mind me helping him update (with a correction or two) his Courses By Architect/Country reviews of Shinnecock Hills.  It was written in 2002 and there has been a considerable amount of research done since then.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:14:54 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
Tommy:

I've read all of the my home course profiles, and nearly all of the courses by country. That's how I first got involved in the website, and didn't join the DG for a year or two afterwards. I really enjoy the my home course profiles of meritorious but below-the-radar courses like Panmure, Pensacola and Tedesco. I really enjoyed Kyle Harris' profiles on the Penn State University golf courses, because they were the courses I played for three years when we lived there. I also refer back to the courses by country profiles pretty frequently when things come up on the DG.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Mine is done, I'm just trying to locate some pictures of the course pre renovation before I send it to Ran.  So hopefully it will be up in the next month or so. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:25:46 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »
As I've already done a mini one in the Calusa Pines thread I would be happy to do a full one once I get pictures of the holes I'm missing. I could also do an Interlachen Country Club one once I get back home and get pictures there as well.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
I like reading what others have produced and hope more come online.  I would especially be interested in reading alternate profiles of courses that Ran has done.  I thought of doing one for Burnham, but I am not sure if folks are really interested.  I did one profile that I don't think went over very well.  Perhaps one day I will do another if the spirit moves me.

BTW What happened to the Angels Crossing profile?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »
Sean,
That profile is excellent and is one of my favorites on the site.
 Do you mean it didn't go over well at the club or on this website?

Looking forward to June!!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
I'd provide mine for Cobb's Creek, but it would likely crash Ran's server.   :o

It's a bit voluminous, as anyone who's seen it might attest. 

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »
I read them.

And two weeks ago I took my camera out for a solo afternoon round and took some practice pictures.  I was going to wait until the bermuda greened up for my official pictures though.

My new home course is a flat Florida piece of property.  Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to make photographs of flat land more interesting?

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
I bet Dan Hermann is going to come out with his MHC profile of French Creek sometime this year.  That should be great, though he's been promising it for a few years now--hint hint. 

I wonder if Ran wouldn't mind me helping him update (with a correction or two) his Courses By Architect/Country reviews of Shinnecock Hills.  It was written in 2002 and there has been a considerable amount of research done since then.

Wayne,
You must've know my Irish mother (God rest her soul).  She really knew how to guilt me into doing the right thing :)

Honestly, I've been out of town on business, but I'm back in the fold now.  Playing tomorrow and Sunday and I'll get right to it.

Besides, the folks at FC are wanting me to write up something for out website soon, based on Gil's visit in June '06 (which I taped so I'd remember what he said).

Don Hyslop

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:47 AM »
Have done the write up on description of holes but am waiting for the snow to clear and the grass to turn green to get some pictures taken of my Berwick Heights course here in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
I read them.

And two weeks ago I took my camera out for a solo afternoon round and took some practice pictures.  I was going to wait until the bermuda greened up for my official pictures though.

My new home course is a flat Florida piece of property.  Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to make photographs of flat land more interesting?

Maybe early morning or late afternoon so there are shadows?

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »
If I had a camerea or new how to use one it would be an interesting project.I have thought about drafting a gcaer to help.Taking apps for Dallas photographer.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »
Mike - Just get yourself a decent (doesn't have to cost a lot) digital camera and have at it.  Take a ton of pics - if they don't work, just delete the pics from memory

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back