News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Furman University Course To Undergo Major Renovation
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
Furman will begin a much needed renovation of the course in May under the direction of Kris Spence. The master plan is impressive with good changes planned for every hole, and the course will be much improved after the work is finished. They have already taken out hundreds of trees which has really opened up the course and dramatically changed the look of many holes. But, I have a concern with the changes they are planning to the first hole... a medium length par four of 385 from the back tee (365 from the "white").

First, they are taking down the famous periscope that has been a Furman fixture as long as I can remember. Why, because they are moving the "blue" tee 50 back to challenge the "better" player. Also, they are going to lower a crest in the fairway that creates a blind opening tee shot (another iconic Furman feature) because, according the DOG, "better players don't like blind tee shots. We talked with four different architects and they all said the same thing," he said. "We talked with several local players who's opinion we respect and they also recommended lowering the hill on number one." What about the periscope," I asked. "Well, with the new back tee it will be directly in the line of play. Anyway, when we lower the hill it will no longer be needed."

Every one of my group that plays Furman regularly could not believe that they were taking down the periscope or removing the blind tee shot. But, then again, we do not fall into the "better" player category!!!   ;)

The DOG was very proud they they were going to increase the length of the course to just under 7000 yards, "because scratch players are just killing us." I asked him how much of his business was "scratch" players and he said he wasn't sure, but that more "good" players would want to play the Furman course after the changes are made.

I am VERY excited about the changes being made to the course (except for #1 mentioned above), but it's sad that so much thought is being given to less than 5% of the players who will ever traverse the course.

By the way... when the course reopens in October Furman will be offering a great annual pass membership... $175 per month with no initiation! And, if you pay the $2100 yearly fee in advance you receive a free 12 month range membership. If the course turns out as good as I think it can, it could be the best golf membership deal in South Carolina.

Here's is a little information on the Furman renovation:
http://www.furman.edu/golf/renovation.htm

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Matt_Ward

Re: Furman University Course To Undergo Major Renovation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Michael:

Thanks for the info and link.

When I attended Gamecock land as a student I had the good fortune in playing there a number of times. Always enjoyed what the course provided and will be curious to see how things work out with the renovation.

P.S. A gentle bulking up of the total length will help generate even more exposure!

P.S. Plus. Kudos to the facility for some of the best rates anywhere !!!

corey miller

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »

When I hear changes as drastic and as seemingly ill advised as lowering a hill I tend to question the validity of the "good" changes on all the other holes.  ???

Who is in charge here architecturally  Kris Spence ? the four different architects? or the several respected local players?

Lester George

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Sounds like they gave-in to the DOG.  Maybe they should have interviewed at least one architect who said "NO".  What would it hurt?

Doesn't seem to bother many "good" players at Augusta.

Lester
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:49:07 PM by Lester George »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:56:47 PM »
Michael, This is exciting and interesting news as I am a Furman grad ('91).
I don't know how many hours I logged in on that course when I should have been in the library. Hell, my friends and I always arranged our Spring term class schedule so that we were done by noon, and on the tee by 1:00!!

Anyway, I had heard that they were going to renovate, so it's good to hear it from a close source. I can't believe the periscope is going down. I loved that blind shot on #1. We would place bets on who would be the first one to slice out onto Hwy. 25. Is there 50 yards to be had over in that area? I guess they will move the back tee to the right somewhat.
It will be great to see the finished product, perhaps around homecoming.

Isn't Kris Spence the same guy who is doing work to Forsyth County Club in Winston Salem? I have heard that he is very adept at restorations (he's worked on some Ross courses, I believe) and it is great to have him at Furman.

Maybe they can bring in Faxon as a consultant -- I don't think he's doing too much right now. Or maybe Dottie Pepper (well, she's actually kinda busy these days).
Thanks Mike for the update. Keep us posted!!

Rob 

Greg Holland

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Kris Spence has done some excellent renovation/restoration work.  Courses include Grove Park, Mimosa Hills, Cape Fear, Sedgefield, Forsyth and others.

Check out www.krisspence.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
Rob - I'll keep you posted. As work progresses I'll try to get over and take some pictures. As for the extra 50 yards on #1... they are gong to move the tee back and right to the area now occupied by the large scoreboard.

Greg - We've heard very good things about Kris around here. I think he was an excellent choice for the Furman project.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Nick Church

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
I have some friends that are members of Carolina Country Club --- they spoke very highly of the work that Spence completed on their course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back