News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Caron

Grass types
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
Just browsing the forum and found a few threads about grasses and I thought about my recent trip to Portugal.  During this trip I played 10 golf courses.  What was fascinating to me was the fact that I played on 3 different grass types.  Bermuda, Poa and Bent.  I have played all three grass types before but NEVER in the same area. 

In North America, are there regions where you could play all three grasses within 50 km's?

RJ_Daley

Re: Grass types
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
Yes, as is asked on another thread, North Carolina for one is a region where bermuda and bent are found on greens.  And, one finds FWs with many species of grass in the transition zone as well, from Kentucky Blue, to Zoysia, to bent, and poa where it will invade anywhere...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »
Jordan- Yes all 3 of those grasses will exist in pretty much the same area. Poa, anywhere, Bermuda only warm +25c, whilst bent will be ok in warm climates up to a certain temperature (up to 30c), the Super's will probably be more exact on the temps. Portugal would I guess be a +25c on average.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
Yes, in KY and Southern IN/IL you can find blue, bermuda, poa, bent, and several variations of zoysia.

In fact, I remember my friend Ron commenting on Tanglewood [ironic name] fairways; "........ a bold decision to go with all crab grass fairways!"  :D

Doug

Jordan Caron

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
Here I was thinking that this was rare!

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
Just because I have a bias toward being obstinant, I would like to know how many people on this site would know, just by looking and not by being told, that they are playing golf on bent grass or poa annua. That is, unless the poa annua was seeding or blooming

What characteristic or plant growth habit allowed you to know which grass you were playing on.

Please comment

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
Just because I have a bias toward being obstinant, I would like to know how many people on this site would know, just by looking and not by being told, that they are playing golf on bent grass or poa annua. That is, unless the poa annua was seeding or blooming

What characteristic or plant growth habit allowed you to know which grass you were playing on.

Please comment

Typically color during the summer. Poa doesn't like heat. When you got two types of grass in the greens, it becomes very easy to tell because of the mottled look.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:14:29 PM »
Kyle:

Does that mean if it is not summer you can not tell the difference.

I have played on greens where there are many different colors of grass, not just two. There are hundreds, if not thousands of different strains of poa annua. Just because they are different colors does not mean they are either bent or poa, they may simply be differnt strains of poa, or for that matter, different varieties of bent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back