News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Playing options near Manhattan...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »
I'm going the second week of June and will try and get away one morning.  I was thinking of taking a limo out to play Garden City or a train over to New Jersey to play Bayonne.  Does anyone know how I get to Bayonne, I don't think they have a water taxi???

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
Does anyone know how I get to Bayonne, I don't think they have a water taxi???
They have a helipad.

THanks to everyone for the suggestions.  The Knoll looks like a neat place and will definetly be considered.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
Gents:

A few things need to be clarified before people start going in all sorts of directions that don't make much sense.

If anyone is contemplating playing in the NYC metro area in April you will find turf conditons for nearly all the courses -- save the elite few private ones -- that are at best in marginal shape and many that will require a full shoulder turn to get the ball near the hole on most 15-200 foot putts.

Let me also point out that unless you can handle the immense liabilities of many NYC muni layouts (slow death march play, spotty at best turf conditions and few holes of note save for a few layouts previously mentioned) it's best to avoid them. I love what Dyker, VC, Kissena, and SR offer but one needs to keep things in mind with a sense of real proportion.

On the private side the issue comes down to access and your own network. A number of clubs may entertain the idea of allowing visitors to walk their property but crossing the threshold in actually playing them is another matter indeed.

For those intent on playing Bethpage Black it's important to realize the course can be closed at many times during the season for any number of reasons. It pays immensely to call ahead prior to going there or you can be big time disappointed.

The public side on the Jersey side of the Hudson River likely provides a greater range of choices. I'd recommend The Knoll / West but people need to understand that this is a work in progress. It is not completed and it's not at the point where one can say that all key matters have been resolved.

I'd also suggest people considering Hominy Hill in Colts Neck, NJ -- a good example of RTJ and generally in good condition when compared to others. If weather cooperates people can take the car ride (90 minutes from Manhattan) to the Crystal Springs Resort & Spa in the Franklin / Vernon area of the Garden State. Solid array of public courses with the flagship Ballyowen at the top of the heap.

Joel S:

Best way to leave Manhattan for Bayonne GC is to contact the club regarding their service from the Battery area of Manhattan to the site. If you were to take a limo ride the total time frame would be roughly the same (depending upon daily traffic). Once you exit the Holland Tunnel you take the NJ Tpke connector and head to the Bayonne exit. I can provide the rest to you via a PM if you need the info.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »
Thanks Matt:  I looked at the Bayonne web site today and they do have a water taxi which the club arranges from Battery Park.  This looks like my best option.

Ray Tennenbaum

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
If anyone is contemplating playing in the NYC metro area in April you will find turf conditons for nearly all the courses -- save the elite few private ones -- that are at best in marginal shape and many that will require a full shoulder turn to get the ball near the hole on most 15-200 foot putts.

Let me also point out that unless you can handle the immense liabilities of many NYC muni layouts (slow death march play, spotty at best turf conditions and few holes of note save for a few layouts previously mentioned) it's best to avoid them.

I'm really just curious: has anyone here holding forth about NYC golf courses actually played VC since the Tafits took it over last year?  I will admit that I was surprised when I played it last summer: after waiting 15 minutes to go off the tee, we played in 4:15, believe it or not. and conditions there were as good as I've seen in NYC. slow greens?  sure, but it's a public course.  is any of that a guarantee?  no, just first-hand observations.

nuff said.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
you guys are talking about Pelham and Shit Rock right? :D :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back