News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Tiger in The Hamptons
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182008/news/nationalnews/65m_sand_bunker_102460.htm

1. Sebonack, Shinnecock, National and Southampton GC are the easiet commutes. Atlantic and The Bridge are a little ways away.

2. Is it a sign of the top of the high end RE market or that Big Money is shifting away from soft to hard assets?

3. Will Huck finally concede that all California guys eventually come to grips with the fact that East Coast architecture rules?  :D

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:09:50 AM by Mike Sweeney »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Tiger in The Hamptons
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
Thanks!!!  If we are going to quit being adults and discuss what our heros pay for housing why not go retro and read Tiger Beat?  http://www.tigerbeatmag.com/ Has Tiger ever made the cover?

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
Mike,

In regards to Q #2:

I think this just confirms the notion that the very top echeleons of wealth in this country are effected very little by what is going on in the economy.  I doubt this was a "investment decision" by Tiger and his portfolio managers.  I would assume he just said "it would be nice to own some property on Long Island", liquidated a small chunck of his fixed income portfolio, and made the transaction.

Cheers,
George    
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
Back when golf and golfers had standards did Hogan or even Nicklaus have to put up with this gossip mongering?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
Back when golf and golfers had standards did Hogan or even Nicklaus have to put up with this gossip mongering?

YES.

I caddied at a very early Senior Tournament held by Merrill Lynch at Newport CC. Those guys were a bunch of caddy teenagers talking specifically about Hogan. They were all upset that he would not play on the Senior Tour because they needed his name.

Nicklaus basically went bankrupt on NY real estate. Who knows how many more or less Majors he would have won? Did it slow him down or focus him?

Let's assume Tiger somehow finds his way on National or Sebonack for the two weeks a year that he is at his house. Do you not think they will influence his view of architecture knowing his love for The Old Course.

We all know you like to be the center of attention here on GCA.com, but maybe Tiger is more interesting.  :P

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
Maybe they're putting those new back tees in at Sebonack because someone there had an inside scoop on Tiger's intent to purchase a home in the Hamptons?!

;D
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
I understand he's simply read the buzz here about the screaming deal at Tallgrass. 

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »
Not really that good of an investment deal with the taxes he'll have to pay.  Not like Florida....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182008/news/nationalnews/65m_sand_bunker_102460.htm

3. Will Huck finally concede that all California guys eventually come to grips with the fact that East Coast architecture rules?  :D

I'll agree with #3 when that long lost MacKenzie course on Long Island is unearthed!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
The 500 channels on TV and household broadband access, not to mention the ever proliferating and segmenting print media, is just one big tapeworm where any new content is deemed newsworthy.

My college newspaper said it best 25 years ago .... "All the news that fits we print".
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »

actually, the real estate tax on this home will be fairly low relative to others.  Most of the homes on Gin Lane appear to be worht about $20 million with real estate taxes of $50,000 all according to Zillow.

You do the math. 

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »
That house has a very interesting history, if history's your thing. 

Gene Greco

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Not really that good of an investment deal with the taxes he'll have to pay.  Not like Florida....

I believe his investment is sound. Short of a catastrophic event (huge hurricane) his property value will continue to rise as the monied from all over the globe continue to happily buy up the Hamptons by taking advantage of the weak dollar.

Furthermore, his taxes will be LOWER in Southampton than for a similarly priced home in Florida.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Michael Moore

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
Dr. Greco - "Open, please. Good."

Woods - "aaa , I eard at out ampton olf lub as a retty ood ourse, aaa"

Dr. Greco - "Oh, yes, Seth Raynor you know."

Woods - "aaa, I al ays anted oo ay ere."

Dr. Greco - "Oh, yeah? Rinse and open, please."

Woods - "aaaa, ow a aout and ills?  I al ays anted oo ay ere, oo. E an ake eye rivate et."

Dr. Greco - "We'll see. Rinse, please."
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

bstark

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
I think he overpaid.......

For another 150 million he could have bought Bear Stearns......

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »

Or hired ARod away from the Yankees to be his caddy.

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »
I might be wrong but that place looks suspiciously like the place Jimmy Knott used to own but that was quite some time ago, like maybe thirty years. It was on Gin Lane, I recall it looked like that going in and there was a guest house like that off to the left.

JMorgan, you seem to know the history of that place. Can you tell us something about it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:12:47 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
"For another 150 million he could have bought Bear Stearns......"

bstark:

That's true and if Tiger waited a week there probably would be some pretty interesting real estate coming on the market out there. Some of those BS's dudes are probably in some pretty interesting financial G-Force shock as of the last few days.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »

Don't worry.  He'll get chances to buy others like Bear Stearns soon enough, and at even better prices...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

Nothing says "Tiger Woods" and "pro golf" more than this...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »
i'd like to play a  20 dollar nassau with Elin this summer ;) ;D : :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:46:34 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »

That is very funny :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »
Unreal, the money is just like play money.

I am a little surprised because its not the low key lifestyle he normally goes for.  He also purchased a place at 3 Creek Ranch in Wyoming which I thought he would use for the summers but I guess he'll split his time.

So as far as I know, he owns two homes in Florida, and 1 each in Southern Cal (where his mother lives), the Hamptons, Wyoming, Dubai and I think in Las Vegas.  He also has the boat. 

How much is his monthly nut just to own these places?  $500k???

David Stamm

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »

I'll agree with #3 when that long lost MacKenzie course on Long Island is unearthed!

Concur, Bill...... ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
Yeah, somewhere between 500k and a million a month. He makes 10 million a month, so really that's nothing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back