News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Encanterra CC(Lehman) in Phoenix East Valley
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »
Attention Arizona golf fans! Another new course to experience. Opens January 2008. A core golf course with housing on the perimeter. This will be private.

Here's a blurb from John Davis in today's Arizona Republic:

Lehman-designed course takes shape

John Davis
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 8, 2007 06:26 PM
Tom Lehman said this week that Encanterra, the centerpiece of a Trilogy country club community and his first solo course design, is on schedule to open in January.

Lehman, who is playing in this week's PGA Championship in Tulsa, Okla., has worked on previous designs with course architect John Fought. The community, being developed by Shea Homes, is near the new Loop 202 South in the Queen Creek area.

"We've had great luck with the weather and the construction crews have done a magnificent job," said Lehman. "I'm really pleased with the progress. I've been out there several times, and I can't wait to see it at completion."

The private club will feature a core-golf design, with minimal intrusion from the surrounding community, and will offer picturesque views of the Superstition and San Tan Mountains.

"It will have a very classic, traditional look and everything will be very well manicured," Lehman said. "The members are going to love this place.

"We've worked hard to create situations where players can choose to play a variety of shots. The course does not dictate which shots a player must play. Good players will appreciate the nuances of strategy that this course presents."

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Encanterra CC(Lehman) in Phoenix East Valley
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:10:12 PM »
I recently played Encanterra in the far southeast valley of PHX. It's actually in Pinal County so the 90 acre turf restriction of Scottsdale doesn't apply. There is about 140 acres of actual turf on the this housing development course. Right now, housing construction has not started but will shortly as the grand opening was last month and about 80 lots were sold. When completed,the course will be a "core" design with housing only on the perimeter. A very good concept in my opinion.

The course itself was impressive. A good variety of holes- particulary some back breaking long par4s. The bunkering was well done- amostly flash faced with flat bottoms. There are many large  chipping areas on the sides and beyond the greens. www.encanterra.com/course_layout.cfm

More to follow. See Bill Huffman's review:
www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/108394

Has anyone else played there yet?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:20:54 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Encanterra CC(Lehman) in Phoenix East Valley
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
I understand the course will be on the ballot for GD's Best New Private for 2008.

In addition to the holes mentioned in Bill Huffman's article, I thought the 5th hole, a par4, 458y from the tips was impressive. A lake sits left of the 2 tiered  green and a big bunker is on the right side of the green. The fairway is is fairly wide so accuracy is very important on the approach.

The finishing holes of 15,16,17 & 18 give the course a good finale.  15 is a 498y par4 from the tips with no bunkers near the green,16 is a 449 par4 with a split fairway dissected by a creek , 17 is a 394y par4 with a cross bunker on the center/right side of the fairway and 18 is a 525y par 5 that I'll designate as a "feel good" finishing hole as it's reachable in 2 for the big hitters and for everyone else it's a potential birdie hole.

The course is replete with large chipping areas on the sides and beyond some greens that are tightly mown giving the putting option. Wind will always be a factor on this course as it was on the day I played. The land is relatively flat although about 3 million cubic yards of dirt were moved during construction.

There is no housing construction yet so if you get a chance to play there, do it sooner rather than later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back