News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Los Angeles CC (SOUTH)
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
Hows the routing and terrain at LACC south?   Is the  land as interesting as its  famous sibling to the north across Wilshire  Blvd. Did  George Thomas or Herbert Fowler   get credit for  this  layout's routing ?  Are some  nice greens and bunkering  present here...

thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:45:43 AM by mark chalfant »

Michael Robin

Re:Los Angeles CC (SOUTH)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:31:56 AM »
Members that are good players and even a professional have told me that they prefer the South to the North. Much more character and more fun are the reasons cited.

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:42:24 AM »
Good call Mike.

The staff is allowed to play two afternoons a week, but only on the North.  Member demand is too high on the South.

DW

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
Does anyone have pictures and/or reports to post on the south?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »
I played the South in a college match and remember being very disappointed that we were not playing the North that time and then going out and getting my butt kicked on the short course. I remember it plays down a canyon and is very claustraphobic. Lots of irons off tees and small greens.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
I played it a year ago. Par 70, 5957 yards. Compact routing, fair amount of tree growth, mostly doglegs, good topography, uneventful bunkering. I believe the Fowler routing is generally intact with the exception of changes made to stop teeing off across Wilshire. #2, 4, 7, 11, 12, 13 were quite good.

Forgot the camera that day....initial reaction was "upset" about showing up to touch the Mona Lisa and being handed a comic book in the lobby :'(. In hindsight, that was a terrible reaction because the course is better than most in SCA. My host likes it better than the North, and echoed DW's earlier statement. It was very busy the day I played it.

There is a renovation proposal up on the wall from Gil Hanse that looked to be fairly substantial.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 02:56:03 PM »
I played it a year ago. Par 70, 5957 yards.

And over 10% of that yardage is on one hole, a 600 yard par 5 (longest hole on the North or South, although its not a particularily interesting hole)--

The reason for the heavy member play on the South is the make up of a majority of the playing members--Although LACC has its share of elite (read low handicap) golfers, the majority of its membership is very senior and/or ladies-- A course with a maximum yardage of less than 6000 yards fits their game--

Its great if you want to practice your wedge game, or steer the ball off the tee with irons, but as a challenge to the North? not even close-

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
There is a saying in Southern California.  By the time you reach either the status or income level to join LACC, you have 10 years on the North course, then 10 years on the South course, then 10 years in the card room and by then life is over.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 06:06:55 PM »
I've played it a couple times.  It's sporty and pleasant.  I recall a number of shots to elevated greens and holes that played much longer than their stated yardages.  It's a great complement to the North course and LACC is one of my very favorite places to go and play, even though I, like most people, would prefer to play the North.

Ian Larson

Re: Los Angeles CC (SOUTH)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
...best greens in Los Angeles right now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back