News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Pinehurst #4 or Pinehurst #8...which is better?
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
I have a chance to play either Pinehurst #4 or Pinehurst #8 next month on my Pinehurst trip and was wondering which one folks think is the better course?

I know #4 was recently redone by Fazio.  Should I put any credit in the fact the USGA is using it for the qualifing rounds for the US Amateur instead of #8 (or #7)...or was that more for logistical reasons?

It also looks like #4 has a lot of water (lake in play on several holes) which I do not like.

Brian Cenci

Re: Pinehurst #4 or Pinehurst #8...which is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site but #8 is much better.  I thought going into it that #4 would be better based on rankings and others opinion of them both.  All 4 people in the group I played in vastly preferred #8 to #4.  I would put #4 in as one of the more overated courses I've played. 

-Brian

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
Chip--The USGA is using 4 instead of 8 for the qualifying because 8 is about 5 miles from the main clubhouse and 4 is right on site. Overall, I would say that 8 is better though. It seems more naturally situated on the land and its not as goofy. The pot bunkers all over tend to make 4 a bit silly, but what do I know.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
Honestly, I think you'd be better served to go to #2, but if I had to pick, I'd say 8.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
#2 is the morning round.  #4 or #8 is the afternoon round  ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, basically...if you want a great value, get Bobby Hill to caddie for you, he's terrific.

Steve Verde

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
I like #4 more. Water is only on play on 3 holes there.

Ed Oden

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:47:23 PM »
Here's another vote for #8.  The holes just flow better in my opinion.  #4 seems a bit contrived to me.  And every time I go, #8 is in better condition, although that is probably just coincidence. 

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
That's a tough call overall I think.  #4 has some very interesting holes, but I think I have to agree that #8 is a better overall course due to flow and variety.  My biggest disappointment with #8 was that 18 was sort of a bland finishing hole.  I love the first par 3 on #4 (incidentally hole 4) and the par 3's on #4 might be better than they are on #8.  The biggest thing that #8 has going for it is that it is "away" from the resort (have to take a resort bus to get there) and as a result, they were able to be more picky about the land and find a desirable spot for a course.  #4 is on virtually the same land as #2 and while I think most would agree that #2 is a special course, it gets all it possibly can out of the land that it's built on - #4 not so much.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:28:28 AM »
I like 4 much better.8's front nine is really nice with the sand scruff,but a lot of the back around that awful pond and marsh is unappealing.10 plays I go 7 to 3 #4.4 is also a better walk.Plus for a second round its right there in same place.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:42:36 AM »
Great golf example of a Hobson's Choice.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:04:41 AM »
Mark, how so? 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 06:10:37 AM »
Jim,

Is it really that much of a choice? They're pretty much the same style, aren't they?  The surrounds as I recall are a little different, but that's probably the biggest difference.

I sure have been wrong before -- what do you think?

Mark

PS Personally if I was making a decision between #4 and #8 I would choose Southern Pines -- eat the cash...

Steve Kline

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
without a doubt #8 - for more of the reasons listed above

CJ - you really think #4 has better par 3s? Three of the four are virtually the same hole. I think from the blue tees I hit the exact same club on all of them. On #8 I play the gold and hit 8 iron, 3 wood, 3 iron, 6 iron. The variety of the par 3 holes is better on 8 too. By that I mean the first one the tee and green are the same level, the second is downhill, the third is pretty flat (maybe ever so slightly uphill) and the fourth is ever so slightly downhill. On #4 three of the four are significantly downhill (almost the same amount of drop on each one).

CJ Carder

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »
CJ - you really think #4 has better par 3s? Three of the four are virtually the same hole. I think from the blue tees I hit the exact same club on all of them. On #8 I play the gold and hit 8 iron, 3 wood, 3 iron, 6 iron. The variety of the par 3 holes is better on 8 too. By that I mean the first one the tee and green are the same level, the second is downhill, the third is pretty flat (maybe ever so slightly uphill) and the fourth is ever so slightly downhill. On #4 three of the four are significantly downhill (almost the same amount of drop on each one).

To be honest, I think my perception might be colored by the 4th hole at #4... I just loved that hole for some reason.  I think the 2nd par 3 on the back is also a solid hole.  Aside from those two, I can see where the style of the par 3's could be repetitive.

And for whatever reason, I honestly can only remember the 8th and 13th at #8.  I'm just completely blanking on the rest of the course at this point.

The 4th on #4 has just always stuck out as a hole that I enjoyed playing and that's probably why I feel that way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back