News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Cordevalle v. Mayacama
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:48:27 AM »
For those who have played both - which is "better"? Which is the more "must-play"? If you (or I) had to choose one - which one?

cary lichtenstein

Re: Cordevalle v. Mayacama
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
I have only played Mayacama and enjoyed it and recommend it
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
Why only 1?   You live here.

Tee to green for your game they are fairly similar.  Mayacama is walking only and Cordevalle is almost all riding in carts.  Condition wise they are exactly the same, very good.   

Cordevalle is an excellent golf course but somebody (either Jones or the developer) was obsessed with hiding the cart paths.   So you have this fantastic golf course that has crazy mounding on one side of the fairways to hide the paths.

Mayacama has a lot of great holes, but some of the holes they had nothing to work with and created some very blah holes.  There is the man made lake on 18 and a few of the greens are fairly wild. 

I really would call it a push.  Mayacama has received some level in the rankings, I personally don't think its a top 100 course by Golf Digest but other panelists have voted it in?

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »
Very easy decision...Mayacama is much better.

I usually really don't like Nicklaus courses at all,  but he did a really solid job at Mayacama.

The routing is much better and many of the holes play through valleys and crevices.  Where as Cordevalle is routed on much flatter land in my opinion and is a bit more back and forth.  Though there still are several (maybe even many) of Nicklaus's forced carries it doesn't beat you up hitting 3 irons to shallow elevated greens.  There are a few flaws, the walk up long steps from 12 to 13 can be tough and the lake on 18 is completely out of place, but the rest is a joy to play.  Neither of them are hard and fast or have much of a ground game, so many on this site probably wouldn't approve, but Mayacama has been the first Nicklaus course (I have played) that I thought was worthy of debate on this site.  He really didn't overuse fairway bunkers and has a really good set of par 3s.

I know this isn't your question but the club house and wine cellar at Mayacama are outstanding, as is the caddie program.  Very very good caddies.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »
Joel,

It's for a qualifier. Besides, one is private and the other is $400, so I don't anticipate many chances to play either one!

I look at it as a great chance to play one of those two courses and I'm just flummoxed trying to decide between the two.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Matt -

I played at Mayacama once and have not played Cordevalle.

I would think having a lot of local knowledge and/or a good caddy would be a BIG help in posting a low score at Mayacama.  There are a fair number of blind & semi blind shots there and knowing where to lay up (and where to miss) would be very helpful.  There are a lot of red stakes on the course that are not visible from the tee.

DT

bstark

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
"Mayacama has a lot of great holes, but some of the holes they had nothing to work with and created some very blah holes.  There is the man made lake on 18 and a few of the greens are fairly wild.  "

The par 5's at Mayacama are fabulous. The 18th hole is a great finisher. The 15th is a little tight but very good as well. The course is well balanced with really good par 3's, #3 being my favorite. The short par 4 on the front # 7 is really good. I didn't see many blah in my 4 visits. I think Jack really nailed it here.
  Haven't played Cordevalle.

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
Matt:

I don't have an opinion either way, but shouldn't the question be:

"Which course is easier for me to go low on?"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »
Joel,

It's for a qualifier. Besides, one is private and the other is $400, so I don't anticipate many chances to play either one!

I look at it as a great chance to play one of those two courses and I'm just flummoxed trying to decide between the two.

Note that Mayacama is a quite difficult golf course, Cordevalle not so much.  So if the consideration is best chance at competitive success, judge accordingly - do you do better on a tough course where no one will go very low, or on an easier course where you can shoot a low number?

I think I understand the choice though - it's more which course should I play since I can simply choose it?  In that case, choose Mayacama for sure.  Access there isn't exactly easy, whereas Cordevalle runs tournaments and other special deals quite often.  IE, you can play Cordevalle any time pretty much; take the shot at Mayacama now that it is available to you.

In terms of overall quality, I tend to prefer Mayacama, but it's not night and day or anything.  Both are fine golf courses that need to be seen and played at some point.

TH

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
A no-brainer, Mayacama in a landslide.  I played them both (one day after the other) in October of 2006 and thought Mayacama was a phenomonal course with a special, secluded piece of property.  CordeValle felt very much like a resort.  Both have excellent holes, I just think Mayacama's are better in virtually every way.  Of the Nicklaus courses I've played, I only hold Castle Pines in higher esteem than Mayacama.

rchesnut

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
I've played both several times, I'm with Joel.  I don't like Nicklaus courses and while Mayacama is one of his better ones, I still don't think it's Top 100.  Some of the holes there are mediocre, and a couple (including a Par 5 on the back) just made no sense to me at all.  8 of us went out there last fall and played it, not one of us liked the course.  Still, the setting is very nice, the facility is one of the nicest I've ever seen, and it's a good golf course. 

Cordevalle is a good course too...I actually like walking it, and they have caddies there as well, it's not a carts only place by any means.  A very nice facility with great food, not quite the level of opulence that you get at Mayacama, but still quite nice.   The setting isn't as lush as Mayacama.  I prefer Robert  Trent Jones courses to Nicklaus courses, so if I had a choice of courses, I'd pick Cordevalle.  Overall experience including the dining area and setting, Mayacama gets the slight edge.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »
Hi Rob!

Of course those who dislike Nicklaus courses in general would have a hard time putting that aside and finding much to love at Mayacama.  That being said, in my relatively limited experience with Jack's courses, I did find it the least stereotypical, if that makes sense.  I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea though; I took my ego-15 handicap friend there awhile back and while he enjoyed the opulence and having a caddie, the course beat him up so bad, he came away dazed.  Last I looked it had the highest slope in the entire NCGA - so one can understand a relative bogey golfer getting destroyed.  It's not exactly easy for the scratch also, but it is manageable - course rating isn't all that high.

In any event, I enjoyed Mayacama and would recommend it.  I don't see it as night and day or a no-brainer over Cordevalle like Bill does though; but that's because I quite enjoyed Cordevalle also.

In any case, I still think Matt's question isn't purely about quality or experience, but rather where to pick as his qualifier site; understanding that this means a chance to play a private and/or expensive club, at a cheap price.  Under this criterion, wouldn't you advise him to choose Mayacama?

TH

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I submitted my application and chose Mayacama. It's not until May 13, which is lucky enough since I haven't played a round of golf since November 29.   :(

Most of you guys, and the teaching pro I know well, leaned towards Mayacama, plus logistically it's a little better.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
Matt - you won't regret the choice - Mayacama is pretty cool.  Also you will indeed be going against prevailing commute - both ways - which is huge as you know.  Just do allow a lot of time to get there..... Mayacama is way the heck up there.

US Open qualifying, eh?  Interesting... why no interest in doing Pasatiempo?  Been there/done that?

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

US Open qualifying, eh?

What irony, US Open qualifying at exclusive private courses when the Championship is being held at a regular old muni course ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »

US Open qualifying, eh?

What irony, US Open qualifying at exclusive private courses when the Championship is being held at a regular old muni course ...

Well now that is rather ironic.  Methinks they ought to hold a qualifier at Santa Teresa.  Let me set the pins and the Matts and Andrews will struggle to break 70.
 ;D

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »
wow, i had no idea the question was where to play your US Open qualifier.  Ouch, these guys are right, Mayacama is pretty stiff.  i am a 5-6 hcp and only broken 80 twice there.  however, evey one else will be playing the same course, so the total scores will be a little higher that's all...

there are only a few holes you can make a real big number on....and that is if you get greedy.  #2, #3, #10, and #13.  good luck.

definitely use a club caddie.  they are as good as i have ever had, seriously.

i agree, what in change from Mayacama to Torrey Pines...

JohnV

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »
US Open qualifying, eh?  Interesting... why no interest in doing Pasatiempo?  Been there/done that?

He must have heard that I'm running the one at Pasatiempo.  You never know how crazy I might get that day. ;)

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
i think you made the right choice ...but Cordevalle is pretty good too
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
When I first saw that the options were Cordevalle, Mayacama, and Pasatiempo, I was straight up giddy.

Pasatiempo is far away, and it's also the one that's easiest for me to go play another day if I ever feel like it. I went back and forth for two weeks between Cordevalle and Mayacama.

I don't put much as much stock as other people do in a course setting up well (or not) for my game. I don't really hit it long or straight, so they all tend to set up about equally.   ;D   

Realistically I don't hit it 300+ so a long course that yields low scores (Cordevalle) probably would be the tougher site for me.

I grew up playing Torrey Pines so I can't help but give this a try, even though I'm aware of how unlikely and ridiculous the whole thing is. It's like the old lottery commercials - for $150, I get to dream. I also get a round at Mayacama and, if I'm lucky, a couple more at Lake Merced. Not a bad deal!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back