News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Portland, Oregon - Where to play ? Public and Private
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
A friend of mine is going to Portland, Oregon in June.
He asked me where he should consider playing.

Not being that familiar with Portland, I mentioned Portland GC and Pumpkin Ridge, which I recall being about an hour from Portland.

What clubs, private and public, within an hour's drive, should he consider ?

Thanks

Steve_Lovett

Re: Portland, Oregon - Where to play ? Public and Private
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:42:08 PM »
Presuming access can be worked out, I would strongly consider Waverly and Columbia Edgewater.  Eastmoreland is a classic public layout, and Heron Lakes' Great Blue is also public, and a fine RTJ2 course.  Royal Oaks is in Vancouver, just across the river to the north of Portland, is a very highly regarded private club as well.

I think your friend would find Astoria CC worth the trouble to visit.

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Pumpkin Ridge is more like 30 minutes west of Portland just north of Highway 26 at North Plains.

Steve definitely got the rest of the best courses in town.  I'm sure that will be longer than your friend is there so I won't suggest any more.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
Pat, here's my recommendations, in order.  This is just a quick pass, so I might change my order after giving it a little more thought.  There's not a huge quality difference in the first five, IMHO.

Waverly Country Club (private)
Columbia Edgewater Country Club (private)
Portland Golf Club (private)
Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club - Witch Hollow (private)
Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club - Ghost Creek (public)
Royal Oaks Country Club (private - in Vancouver, WA)
Riverside Country Club (private)
The Reserve - Fought Course (alternates public/private)
The Reserve - Cupp Course (alternates public/private)
Oswego Lake Country Club (private)
Tualatin Country Club (private)
Langdon Farms Golf Club (public)
Camas Meadows Golf Club (public - in the Vancouver, WA area)
Oregon Golf Club (private)
Willamette Valley Country Club (private)
Heron Lakes Golf Course - Great Blue (public)
Eastmoreland Golf Course (public)
Heron Lakes Golf Course - Greenback (public)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:37:40 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
Pat, please give me a call at 850-293-6730.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
My stompin' grounds!  ASK ME!!!! ASK ME!!!

The guys already hit on most of the major players, Senor Mucci.  Can't go wrong with Pumpkin, The Reserve or the private clubs mentioned.

Mike Erdmann is a helluva guy, but I'd never recommend Eastmoreland to someone travelling across the country to our little NW haven.  Surely they'd be let down.

Heron is near the AP, if that matters.

Chehalem Glenn is out in Newberg, about an hour away from PDX, if your friend finds themselves down in wine country.  OGA "Tukwila" is a decent "championship" track, albeit relatively devoid of that elusive element we call "charm."

For charm I love playing Stone Creek and Camas Meadows. 

Why not drive two hours and play Chambers Bay?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 07:55:01 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »
I'm going to be out there during spring break....Eastmoreland would be an ok option for a Montana boy? And possibly Blue Heron???
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Josh Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
No love for Tualatin CC?  I really like it.  Egan with some Fought redesign.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
Josh is right, Tualatin should be included.  I'll edit my list.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
My stompin' grounds!  ASK ME!!!! ASK ME!!!
Mike Erdmann is a helluva guy, but I'd never recommend Eastmoreland to someone travelling across the country to our little NW haven. ...

But Matt Ward would.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
I'm going to be out there during spring break....Eastmoreland would be an ok option for a Montana boy? And possibly Blue Heron???

Eastmoreland will have wetness problems. You might loose your ball embedded in the fairway on one of the holes on the back nine. It is a July, August kind of course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »
Waverly - easy call.
CE is very good
I used to be a member at Riverside, and loved the experience. 
Portland GC held a Ryder Cup

Publics - Eastmoreland did host the USGA Publinx.  But I prefer Heron Lakes.

Pumpkin Ridge has a private and public and is quite good.

I love PDX!

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
I suggest Eastmoreland on the short list of public options in the Portland area because it represents "quintessential" public Portland golf probably more than any of the others mentioned.  It's not the best, but it's a classic - and yes, it will still be wet in June. 

If your friend only has a couple of rounds (and access), I wouldn't waste any effort beyond Waverly, Columbia Edgewater, Pumpkin Ridge, Royal Oaks, and Portland GC.

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »
  Not to confuse the selection with more! but I have to give an honorable mention to Tri-Mountain GC (public) (William Robinson), in Ridgefield, Washington.  It's about 20 miles north of PDX.  It gets a soul out of the city for some wannabe links in rolling farmland with some nice views of Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood.  Greens are potato chips with 1/2 poa and 1/2 bent.  Winds are the strongest here of any in the metro area that I am familiar with. They're not strong but they do usually effect ball flight.  Nobody I know hates it but it won't win any national awards. That said, the crew, under Dan Bierscheid, does a great job with little funding.

Private? Columbia Edgewater (Vernon Macan), of course.  ;D  Voted favorite course in America last year by the LPGA players - for hosting the Safeway Classic. 2008 tourney is their Swan song year, though. Next year going to Pumpkin.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:21:49 AM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »

Private? Columbia Edgewater (Vernon Macan), of course.  ;D  Voted favorite course in America last year by the LPGA players - for hosting the Safeway Classic. 2008 tourney is their Swan song year, though. Next year going to Pumpkin.

Dude, that sucks The Safeway is leaving! >:( >:(
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »
Can't add to the list, but Tualatin has 6 hole corridors and two greens remaining from Egan.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »
Thanks for your help.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
I will be out in Portland on 4.14 with access to public/resort only - would any of the publics we discernibly worse off for wetness issues?  Sounds like Heron Creek and Royal Oaks are solid choices - looking for something reasonable.

Thanks-
Andy

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »

Thanks, but no thanks for the bad news. What's happening? Are they loosing the parking area at CE? Voted favorite, and then bye bye, wow!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
I will be out in Portland on 4.14 with access to public/resort only - would any of the publics we discernibly worse off for wetness issues?  Sounds like Heron Creek and Royal Oaks are solid choices - looking for something reasonable.

Thanks-
Andy

That would be Heron Lakes, not Heron Creek. Royal Oaks is private.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
Shivas highly recommends the Ted Robinson tracks the the Portland area, Charbonneau and Summerfield.

;D ;D ;D ;D

PS, don't take that recommendation seriously.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:25:57 PM by Garland Bayley »

Joe Bentham

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »
Eastmoreland should be played instead of the Reserve or Langdon Farms IMO.  The nicest thing about the Reserve is the club house and I've never found anything at Langdon to get exicted about.  They also don't drain much better then Eastmoreland and they'll charge 3 times as much...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Garland,
Moving the Safeway LPGA stop is all about $$$. Using Pumpkin Ridge they can double the size of the pro-am and increase the size of the tent village.

Andy,
IM me if you want to play the Reserve, course of the day is the North (Cupp) or need a companion. Wettest courses would be Pumpkin Ridge-Ghost Creek and Eastmoreland. Great Blue at Heron Lakes is challenging. Disagree with Joe B about Langdon Farms. Good greens, a lot of borrowing from other courses (US & GB/I)/

Josh Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »
Pete,

Aren't 1,2,3,4,6,10,11,13,14,17,18  as they are numbered today original hole corridors and the same pars that Egan had. 

Which greens are original.  I would guess: 2,3,4,11,13,14,18 from what I think I remember Fought not touching.

Either way I really think the course feels great either "then or now"  Old 7, and old 9 were sure interesting. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
Josh,
  My bad. For some reason I was thinking that the back nine was not Egan, or had been modified over the years when Millard Rosenblatt was the green committee. In retrospect, he was really talkin about trees.
  Original (or barely modified) corridors is 1-6, 10-13, 14, 17, 18. One less original green, the 3rd was rebuilt. 7-9 were three very interesting holes, but a bottleneck. I left Tualatin in '97 after back to back 100 year floods.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back