News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Re: Isenhour charged with killing noisy bird
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »
I hit a bird for an entirely different reason than Isenhour.

I hit a vicious, screaming worm-burner of a drive just as a bunch of Canada geese were walking across the fairway 100 yards away.

Hit one squarely in the leg; must have shattered it.

I saw many of the geese congregating around the wounded bird, raising racket, clearly agitated.

A buddy told me that they mate for life, which made me feel even worse.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »

A buddy told me that they mate for life, which made me feel even worse.

Yea, but they shit for giggles.  Congrats.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »
Bob - one difference is that the Red Shouldered Hawk is protected by federal law.  Last time I checked, cows were not protected.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2008, 11:17:55 AM »
Dan,

I agree, a hawk is a beautiful and elegant bird and should be protected. What Trip did was stupid but hopefully done without malice. From reading some reports that might be a stretch.

Bob

Steve Lapper

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
By looking at his recent record, it's the first thing he's hit all year.

He gets a "dumb ass" award.

Reminds me of the guy at Trump a few years back who killed the Swan and then buried the body and tried to "cover it up"

Cary:

Wasn't that a good friend of yours?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:35:35 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
I do feel bad about the situation, but then again he was "trying" to hit the bird, or at least put a close shot across the bow.

I did the same as Voytek once when I was playing at Moffett Field in NorCal.  Although this bird wasn't as lucky.  There was a whole mess of what looked like coots about 100 feet in front of the tee box.  As with any other ground lying hazard that close to the tee box I didn't even give it a 2nd thought.  Sure enough I hit a low screamer that hit one of these birds square in the noggin.  After a minute or so of flopping and flailing that poor guy went to bird heaven.

But at least it was non-intentional.   :-[  Of course I fully expect J/K to chime in that it was my fault because I clearly showed golf swing negligence by not taking a lesson or two to avoid those mis-hit hozzle rockets.   8)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »

Reading the report, if I understand it correctly he took ten shots before hitting the Hawk, not surprised he won only $470,000, needs more practice, perhaps someone should tell him its the flag you aim at.

Poor dumb creature, killing a beautiful bird like a Hawk – Wonder if the noise the Hawk made was it laughing at Isenhour on watching his game??

I hope it was an accident, if not, then I have got to question his right to be on any golf course again.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
Melyvn,

If he hit one ball in the birds direction, thats an accident.....maybe.

But hitting 10 balls at the bird...not an accident in my book.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
Kalen

If as you say all 10 aimed at the Hawk, then he's no golfer - just a killer.

Should never be allowed to step foot on a golf course again.

It reflects badly on us all, if he gets to plays again. 

John_Cullum

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »
It was a stupid mistake that reflects poor judgment and immaturity. I expect he felt pretty bad about it at the time. I am not for villifying the man and I hope this spurs him to grow up.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Lou_Duran

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
John C,

Hear, hear!  Temperance on this site.  How quaintly unusual!

Bob H,

While I never developed a strong love for hunting, I've shot a few pheasants and rabbits growing up in Ohio.  I last fired a gun at a pheasant in 1977, and really have not had a strong enough desire to do it again.

I was told by safari guides in Tanzania and Zimbabwe, that without a relatively good number of guided hunts in certain parts of those countries, that the wildlife populations and the tourism they attract would suffer.  Apparently, in addition to the benefits of scientific wildlife management, these hunts bring a significant amount of foreign exchange, and employment to many locals who would otherwise resort to poaching and other endeavors that are not friendly to the environment.

Kelly B. M.,

Thanks for the explanation.  Can you provide a reference that I may review to learn more about the subject?  When I think of corridors I tend to think of passage ways from one area to another.  In your example, it appears to be more in terms of habitat.  I've read that while woods may very well be good/necessary for some species, others prefer more open or less dense habitat.  I gather from your examples that you tried to keep the course in the more open parts of the site, which no doubt also saved you quite a bit of money.  Sounds like a win-win solution. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 06:51:09 PM »
John C,

Bob H,

While I never developed a strong love for hunting, I've shot a few pheasants and rabbits growing up in Ohio.  I last fired a gun at a pheasant in 1977, and really have not had a strong enough desire to do it again.

I was told by safari guides in Tanzania and Zimbabwe, that without a relatively good number of guided hunts in certain parts of those countries, that the wildlife populations and the tourism they attract would suffer.  Apparently, in addition to the benefits of scientific wildlife management, these hunts bring a significant amount of foreign exchange, and employment to many locals who would otherwise resort to poaching and other endeavors that are not friendly to the environment.

Lou,

You are quite right, there is always a need for some sort of culling, however, I would not volunteer to do it.

Bob

Joe Bausch

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »
Pat Jones really goes off on Isenhour here:

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=4010
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark_F

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Apparently, in addition to the benefits of scientific wildlife management, these hunts bring a significant amount of foreign exchange, and employment to many locals who would otherwise resort to poaching and other endeavors that are not friendly to the environment.

Lou,

You need to log onto www.seek.com.au, look under "Advertising/Media/Entertainment," Location "Melbourne."

The Japanese Whaling Commission need a PR Director, and you would be an absolute shoo-in.  If you got Tripp Isenhour a job on one of the whaling boats, you would have no problems convincing people it really is scientific after he missed the first nine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back