News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CharlestonBuckeye

Driving from Lynchburg, VA to Greensboro, NC.  Anything decent on the way or a little out of the way?  Private or public.

John Moore II

Re: Course recommendation between Lynchburg, Va & Greensboro, NC ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
Not sure about anything on the way, but once in Greensboro, either course at Bryan Park is good, as is Greensboro National. This of course assumes you have no access to private facilities.

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
Thanks....actually playing Sedgefield in Greensboro.  Looking for something closer to Lynchburg for the day prior.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »
Shawn,

Just slightly North of Lynchburg is Poplar Grove. I haven't been there but have heard several positive comments. FWIW, It made Golf Digest's top ten of new upscale courses in 2005.

http://www.poplargrovegolf.com/index.php

I'm not sure if it's close to your travel route but you may want to try Primland.

http://www.primland.com/newpages/golf/highlandcourse.html

(I don't know your dates but I would make sure Primland is open for the season before going.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:32:52 PM by Bill Gayne »

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »
Boonsboro CC in Lynchburg looks like a lot of fun.  Lester George
did some work there and I've heard great things.  It is private.

Reidsville, NC has Pennrose,  an old Donald Ross nine with several good holes.  Try the BBQ at Short Sugars, just off 29 in town.

Greg Holland

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »
Don't know much about the Virginia side (though Ellis Maples' Chatmoss CC is up that way and is pretty good) and Danville CC is reported to be a good Ross course (haven't played it).  I believe both are private.

Once in NC, two privates to consider are Deep Springs CC in Stoneville just across state line (very good Ellis Maples course) and Pennrose Park (9 hole Ross -- I have not played it) near Reidsville.

Sedgefield is great, and there are several other very good private courses in Greensboro (GCC has 2, the Cardinal by Dye, Forest Oaks by DLIII and Starmount Forest - Stiles & Van Kleek redone by Lester George).  On the public side, Greensboro National and Bryan Park are good, and High Point's Oak Hollow is very good Dye (with Coore).

About 30 minutes south of Greensboro is Strantz' Tot Hill and 15 minutes beyond it is Old North State by Fazio.

To the West 30 minutes is Winston-Salem, with Old Town, Forsyth CC, and Tanglewood, among others.

Lester George

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:56:38 PM »
Shawn,

You may want to look into London Downs in Lynchburg.  Bust public course that was designed by Russell Breeden.  I have never played it so I can't tell you much. 

Lester

Mike Hoak

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »
I assume that you will be driving down 29.  Unfortunately, that area of the state has few good golf options.  Primland and Chatmoss would take you well out of your way.  As for something along your route, Lester's recommendation of Londown Downs is a good one on the public side.  On the private side, you may want to see if you can get on Danville Golf Club.  It's been at least 15 years since I played there, but I remember it as a pretty decent course.  I believe it was originally designed by Donald Ross.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:38:40 PM by Mike Hoak »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
If you're driving down 29, you'll miss Primland.  However, depending on what time of year you're talking about, I'd do whatever you can to play it.

I've played London Downs, and wouldn't recommend it.

If you're coming through Roanoke (to take 220S to Greensboro), I can make several recommendations.

WW

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
If you're driving down 29, you'll miss Primland.  However, depending on what time of year you're talking about, I'd do whatever you can to play it.

I've played London Downs, and wouldn't recommend it.

If you're coming through Roanoke (to take 220S to Greensboro), I can make several recommendations.

WW

Primland does not open until mid-May.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »
So maybe the correct call is to just budget extra time in Lexington for vitamin Q?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back