News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: Golfweek's Modern List (top 50 with last year's position)
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
You have to give Golfweek credit for releasing their yearly list right when most of us are beginning to think seriously about golf again.  Spring is imminent, and I have it on good authority that even though it appears greed has finally caught up with the financial system, there will in fact be a summer for golf.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
Kapalua Plantation in the 60's? Did the raters ever look up?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

bstark

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
 "Mayacama at 35...a Top 5 facility and a course that shouldn't make the top 100."

???
 Couldn't disagree more on that one.

Maycama is a wonderful golf course. Spectacular routing, fun to play. Memorable from start to finish. By far the best Jack course I've ever played.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:59 PM »
How about Kinloch moving from #9 to #7?  Kinloch only gets limited love from our site.  Kinloch is #29 on Golf Digest's top 100 list, but nowhere to be found on Golf Magazine's list.

Kinloch is a very good golf course, and the club possesses a special ambience found in few places.

Congratulations to Lester George.

Kinloch is the real deal.  Nothing there has been overlooked.

Watch out in future years for Ballyhack (under construction) and Primland, both here in Virginia, and both extremely strong.

WW

Jason Connor

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
My issue came in the mail today.

They have a list of architects with the most courses across the two (Classic & Modern) 100 lists:

Ross 26
Fazio 20
Tilly 15
Raynor 13
Dye 11
Flynn 10
RTJ Sr 9
Nicklaus 9
C&C 8
CBM 7
Rees 7
Toomey 6
Weiskopf 6
Doak 5
Mackenzie 5 (!)
Maxwell 5
G Fazio 4
Travis 4
Morrish 4
Engh 3
Bell 3
Thomas 3
Watson 3
Colt 3
Cupp 3
RTJ Jr 3

The name perhaps I was surprised not to see (with less than 3 courses) on the list was Art Hills.  I know there is much debate around him, but from his sheer number of courses, I would have expected to see 3 of his.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:41:42 PM by Jason Connor »
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »
It's in the magazine.  Not that many big changes and I've done my part typing in the Modern list.  Someone else needs to handle Classic...

Mike:  I don't get the magazine and it's actually pretty hard to find at any time... so until they put this on-line, can you just answer my question re MPCC?  That is, does MPCC Dunes make the Classic list?

I could see it going either way... it's just an interesting illustration (I think), as MPCC Shore places so highly on modern list, and is at best the equal of the Dunes (in no way can I call it superior, that is).

TH

The only Calif. courses I see are:

41. Valley Cub at Montecito
31. Pasatiempo
24. Riviera
18. LACC (North)
13. SFGC
4. Pebble Beach
1. Cyrpess Point

And Olympic at #21.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

jkinney

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »
I'm surprised not to see Stone Eagle break into the GW modern 100 list, especially since it made into the low 90's on the GCA informal best 100 in the world compilation. IMO Stone Eagle is the best course ever built anywhere in the desert, just a fabulous place and loads of fun to play.

Mark Arata

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 05:53:39 PM »
I dont get all the love for Cascada...........

I think Olde Kinderhook is a much better course, as is Rustic, as is Stone Eagle, (and while I am at it, so is Apache Stronghold)

I also dont think Arcadia is a top 50 course. Top 100 yes, top 50 no.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Jason Topp

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2008, 06:02:18 PM »
I'm sure you are waiting with baited breath on my reaction to the list.  Here are the courses I have played and how I would adjust their rankings.  If I said nothing I think the ranking is about right

(1)   Sand Hills
2.   (2) Pac Dunes
6.   (6) Bandon Dunes – too high – teens
9.   (8 ) Shadow Creek
12.   (13) TPC at Sawgrass
16.   (14) Spyglass – too high – 20’s
21.   (12) Bandon Trails – too low teens
25.   (22) Wild Horse
30.   (25) World Woods (Pine Barrens) – too high – 50’s
33.   (29) Harbour Town – too high – 40’s
41.   (17) Sutton Bay – a little low for me – 30’s
43.   (40) Paa-Ko Ridge – too high – 70’s
58.   (52) Harvester – too low 20’s
64.   (45) Hazeltine – too high 80’s
67.   (NR) We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro) – too high – out of list
99.   (100) Rustic Canyon – too low – 50’s

Not on the list that I would include:

The Quarry at Giant’s Ridge -40’s
Desert Highlands – not sure where

Brian Cenci

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
Don't see how Kiawah dropped 4 spots, other than that there were a few new courses that moved up.  It is a solid course and #20 is too low.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Fazio might have 20, but he has 2 in the top 20.  Dye, in contrast, has 5 of his 11 in the top 12!

Tim Bert

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but congratulations to Mike Young on Long Shadow's debut at #4 on the public access courses in the state of Georgia.

2 of the 3 ahead of it are on the top 100 modern list.  I have to think this one has a shot as it matures and more people see it.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
I can think of at least five courses I've played on the list that I'd have seen fall off before Lakota Canyon; I think its easily on that list if not in the top fifty (where it was as recently as 2006).

Of the new Coore/Crenshaw courses I played last year I would have thought Colorado GC would make this list before We-Ko-Pa Saguaro although I applaud getting Saguaro on there as its my favorite course in the Phoenix area including some of the private courses in the area. Forest Highlands moving into the top fifty is a move in the right direction in my opinion too.

I'm surprised that The Golf Club moved ahead of Muirfield Village although I love TGC and have only walked MV. TGC is my favorite course not located on the Monterey Peninsula so I'd say its placed about right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back