News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

I saw a video with Lutzke and Dye talking about Eagle Eye. here's a link http://video.aol.com/video-detail/the-architects-pete-dye-chris-lutzke-and-paul-albanese-mgtv/3954035200

Pete Dye appears to really admire Chris Lutzke's work in this video. He is asked about how Chris got started working with him and he mentions "he picked up sticks faster than anybody".

Remember Jay Flemma's interview with Pete Dye where Jay asked him how he remembered Tom Doak getting started with him?  He said, 'he picked up sticks, and he was good at it'.

Stick picking for Pete Dye served these two very well.  I wonder what the current stick pickers for Pete Dye have in store for us in the future?!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:23:57 PM by Eric Smith »

Steven_Biehl

Re: Dye mentions stick picking at Chris Lutzke's Eagle Eye opening
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »
Dye must have a special place for sticks.  In Indy, he picked up a stick with a crook in it, and decided to call the place Crooked Stick.
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
Probably most of the guys who ever worked for Pete Dye had to pick up sticks for a little while [or rocks, depending on the site].  That was just the entry-level position and not many guys ever bypassed "go" ... although I thought that Chris Lutzke started as an equipment operator. 

So, in many cases the statement is literally true, but it's also one of Pete's favorite expressions to use whether he remembers your first day or not.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »
OT, but would it not be quicker to rake the sticks up?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »
Matthew:

Back in the day, we raked them up with a tractor into piles, but then picked up the strays.

I am sure there are better ways to do it mechanically now, but partly it was a test of willpower, as well.  We don't want interns who are afraid to get dirty.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
You can use equipment and hand tools to gather debris, but the final grooming before seed/sod is really best accomplished the old fashioned way.

you eeeeeeeeeearn it as B.F. Hutton use to say.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Eric. I hired Chris while in between jobs for Pete in 93 as a shaper for Buenos Aries Golf Club. I beleive he was the 6th out of seven shapers used on the project all at different times. While working there he decide to go Michigan State and seek an architectural career. He really was set on doubling up his major and getting two degrees, one in landscape architecture and the other in Agronomy. He went against my recomendation which was if you really want to be a sucessful architect, put all that time and energy into your golf game and then go out and win a big tournament on the PGA tour! I Congratulate Chris for defying the odds, I hope he has the continued sucess he sacraficed for, for so many years, never have my words tasted so sweet!

David Neveux

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
Good and very interesting video, thanks for the share!!  Pete Dye seems like an awfully modest guy who builds golf courses that don't share that same characteristic.  Needless to say I'm glad thats the case!!  Mr. Lutzke did a great job out there and I really do enjoy the golf course.  It's nice to see an alumni be able to really contribute something so special to that area.  Prior to this video I had not realized the connection between MSU and Chris L.  All the best to him, Go Green!!! 

P.S. Has Mr. Lutzke had any other solo designs that people have seen / played?  I would be interested to hear their thoughts / comments.  Thanks in advance. 

D.P.N

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back