News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Norwood Hills is the only course that I can recall playing.  I am kinda proud of joining the place before I ever hit a single shot on property now that I find out it is so well regarded in the Stiles book.  I had never even heard of Stiles at the time and am interested in what type of discussions are possible on this board.  One note that disturbs me is the Cornell connection of his sometime partner Van Kleek.

RJ_Daley

I doubt I'll be able to discuss with familiarity or insight of playing any courses by Stiles given I've never been to one.  But, upon arrival yesterday of Labbance and Mendik's book, it looks like there is a great body of work there to pick from.  I have only flipped a few pages so far, but the book looks to be an excellent compilation with great drawings and photos.  I suppose from a fast look, there might be many courses that have been tweaked, remodelled and such, although I don't know, yet.  It looks like a body of work of good old fashion solid golf courses, across beautiful meadow and woodlands. 

It appears that with all the courses he had done, a person interested in the history of GCA must/ought to seek them out for experience and insight as another step from the begining of works of modern day ASGCA founders and how they evolved into today's works. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kavanaugh

Isn't it amazing how the legacy of an architect can be based on how many of his courses held majors.  Architecturally I doubt Ross had anything on Stiles yet history holds Ross in higher esteem perhaps because of who played his courses and not how his courses played.

Mike_Cirba

John,

I'm prepared to discuss Taconic and Brigantine.   I am ashamed to say I'm not prepped to discuss Wildwood, as it's only 2 hours from me and I've not played there.   

I wish I were prepared to discuss his other courses in New England, particularly the ones in NH, VT, and ME, at least from the wonderful pics in the book. 

Rutland is a course in VT I've heard wonderful things about, and I'm still hoping to get there someday.

Rich Goodale

I can discuss Woods Hole and maybe a few others in Mass. if I can remember them.

Brad Tufts

I'm plowing through this book, as I'm poised to tackle the courses section.

I've have played a good # of them as well, including Rutland CC, which, while only 6100 par 70, is a fantastic place to play.

One curious omission in the book, the NLE nine at my home course of Tedesco was a Stiles design, and the current 14 and 15th holes are still from that nine.  I checked the index when I got the book, and nary a mention.  I believe our club has a copy of his plans, with his company block and all.

I'm willing to give a rundown on anything anyone wants to know about the New England ones I've been to...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

rjsimper

Taconic is the only one I can speak about in any detail design-wise, and I maintain that setting aside tradition, aura, history, and the like, I'd probably choose to play the golf course at Taconic more times out of 10 than the members 18 at The Country Club.

Michael Moore

I may actually be able to go toe-to-toe with my trusty intern Bradford here. I would be happy to discuss

North Haven
Wilson Lake
Wawenock
Brunswick
Bath
Boothbay Harbor
Rockland
Riverside
Prouts Neck
Barre
Laconia
Pine Brook
Nehoiden
Taconic
Wahconah
Cranwell

HIT LIST
Woods Hole
Haverhill
Oak Hill
Thorny Lea

Stiles left one hell of a legacy in Maine. He is buried here in Portland and some day I will dork out and pay a visit . . .
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:40:10 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ray Richard

Thorny-Lea in Brockton Ma. I caddied there two clubhouses ago.

It's a fine layout that hasn't been tweaked too much; the first hole was originally a dog-leg left and it was straightened out in the 70's, and a par three centerline was changed on the front side, but the hole can be played as originally constructed.

It's been the home of many hotshot players in Massachusetts and its always stood up to the  test, although I saw Paul Harney shoot a 64 back in the 1960's.

Also enjoy Waweneck in the Pemaquid region of Maine although they filled in my favorite bunker last year.

mike_malone

I enjoyed Wildwood because of the interesting variety at the green. Some have slopes from front to back, others have random buildups at the edges, different angling, as well. The par five that runs out to the bay is the highlight (once they remove the trees at the dogleg!). I thought that Atlantic City gets the nod for a bayside course because it has more frontage on the water. But Wildwood is fun. Mike, I have a good friend there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:41:44 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

I can only discuss Taconic.

Is there an acknowledged expert at restoring Stiles courses yet?  Perhaps there is a market opportunity for some of the architects who were lamenting that they are never considered for consulting opportunities ...

Billsteele

I think I go three deep (four if you count both sides of Norwood Hills):
1. Norwood Hills (with the originator of this thread)
2. Taconic
3. Woods Hole

I would gladly play each of these any day of the week. All of them are solid and fun.

JK-Don't forget that Norwood Hills hosted a major. The winner was a fairly good player as I recall...Hogan.

Mike_Cirba

mayday,

Let's get out there sometime.   If it's as much fun as Brigantine, it'll definitely be worth the drive.

mike_malone

I have to get to Brigantine; that's a hole in my resume.
AKA Mayday

michael j fay

Taconic, Rutland and Nahua in that order but I feel the best work of Stiles and Van Kleek I have seen is the front side of Waconah.

While the Taconic course is top ten in New England in my opinion, I thought the front side and the routing of the back side of Waconah was ingenious.

John Kavanaugh

Michael,

Do you have a copy of the Stiles book?  If not send me an address and I will shoot you out one.

Kyle Harris

Lekarica/Highland Park in Lake Wales, FL. Still there... needs love.

michael j fay

John:

I have a copy. Thank you.

It is an extremely well done book, the research is yeoman and the result is fantastic. A;ll kudos to Labbance and Mendik for their efforts.

MJFay

Mike Sweeney

One note that disturbs me is the Cornell connection of his sometime partner Van Kleek.

Other than taking a shot at Doakey, what is the problem? No RTJ love, jeez you spend too much time here.

I can add Mink Meadows on Martha's Vineyard in addition to some of the above. To answer Tom Doak, I think they had Ron Pritchard come in to redo the 9 hole course.

Taconic is head and shoulders above over Wildwood (NJ) or the sentimental favorite from the Maine Island tour, North Haven. Not a huge fan of Laconia (NH).

Has anyone played Brattleboro? I will be near there in late June and thought I might try it.

John Kavanaugh

Mike,

Were you surprised at the tone of the Taconic review?  Did your sister consider Williams over St. Mary's?

Buck Wolter

John-
I'd be interested on your view of the East Course versus the West at Norwood. I seem to remember you really enjoying the East which is usually pooh poohed by the members as sort of the 'family' course.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

The East is my favorite at only 6000 yds.  I just love short par 4's and blind shots.  I am currently tending to my wife and will report in further detail when back at work.

John Kavanaugh

Here is a link to the East score card.  You gotta love 7 straight short par 4's.  As soon as you get done with one you have another.  http://www.norwoodhills.com/Home.aspx?ContentID=52

Michael Moore

Michael,

Do you have a copy of the Stiles book?  If not send me an address and I will shoot you out one.

Shoot me a copy at 105 Osborne Avenue, South Portland, 04106. I will apply the savings to the Labbance fundraising tournament this summer.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Sweeney

Mike,

Were you surprised at the tone of the Taconic review?  Did your sister consider Williams over St. Mary's?

You lost me on this one, Ran's review?
He states:

Though Taconic is considered Stiles's finest work for good reason, it does lack cross bunkers. Undoubtedly influenced by Herbert Leed's masterpiece at the Myopia Hunt Club, Stiles did not hesitate to employ cross bunkers where possible, with the 18th at Thorny Lea GC being the best example. At Taconic, Stiles placed little directly between the golfer on the tee and the green in the distance. Rather, he let the rolling terrain create the need for accurate driving. Hence, the latin phrase on the front of the scorecard which translates to 'safer from the middle.'

Ran really is good at this. It is only when I read this after my round that I thought what Taconic was missing that could make it iconic. I really like the lower key nature of all these Stiles courses.

FYI, the nuns at Merion Mercy Academy in the 70's did not expose their girls to much beyond the standard Catholic schools and of course the Jesuits were often seen as barely Catholic.

PS. Still waiting on the Cornell issue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back