News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Harding Park and the hole sequencing for the Pres. Cup
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I just was listening to KNBR (Bay Area) radio on-line and Sandy Tatum was a guest on the show. The show was discussing the way the course would be sequenced for the Presidents Cup and Tatum said that the course would be set up this way:

Front nine

Back nine

To those who are familiar with the course, what do you think? Does this work well? Tatum had said he actually felt the course was better as a whole set up this way.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Anthony Butler

Re: Harding Park and the hole sequencing for the Pres. Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I just was listening to KNBR (Bay Area) radio on-line and Sandy Tatum was a guest on the show. The show was discussing the way the course would be sequenced for the Presidents Cup and Tatum said that the course would be set up this way:

Front nine

Back nine

To those who are familiar with the course, what do you think? Does this work well? Tatum had said he actually felt the course was better as a whole set up this way.

It's been about 10 years since I set foot on the course, but that sounds ridiculous to me. Part of the charm of the old courses is the relative proximity of the tee to the previous green. Whatever crowding  issues this sometimes causes will not be solved by rerouting the holes because the greens and tees don't move. If I remember correctly the walk from the 13th green in the SW corner of the property to the 4th tee is approximately 175-200yds. The walk to the 14th tee is about 25 yds. Also the 14th is the start of the very solid 5 holes that close out the course. Inummerable other problems I can see with this routing but I'll let others take a swing at it. I respect Sandy Tatum and what he has done for golf in the Bay Area but I think he's off base with this one.

Next!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
The motivation for doing this is to make sure the "feature holes" at Harding (#15-#18) are in play for most of the matches. The concern is that, since the President's Cup is match event, many of the matches will be over (or almost over) before those holes would be played in the standard routing of the course. 

Moving these holes up makes sure they get played in virtually every match.

Arthur Butler - I don't think the "flow" of the course or the green to next tee distances are a big issue for this event, as it is match play with a very, very small field. I doubt VERY much this altered routing would be used for a stroke play event.

DT

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
Just walked the course today following the SF City.

13 to 4 isn't so bad. 3 to 14 is long, 14 to 8 is super weird, 8 to 15 is really weird, and 7 to 9 is super weird.

The oddest thing is that it's sort of Merionesque - you start off with pars 5, 3, 4, 4, 5 and that's it for the par 5's, unless they decide to use the yet-to-be built par-5 tee on current #9/Prez Cup #18, which is in a cool spot, although no matter what it's a weird walk from current #7 green, past the current #8 par-3/Prez Cup #17 hole to the current #9 tee.

I guess it all makes sense except why not play 8 in sequence between 7 and 9? That part seems beyond reason. The rest makes sense but does create some long walks.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:12:55 PM »
Just walked the course today following the SF City.

13 to 4 isn't so bad. 3 to 14 is long, 14 to 8 is super weird, 8 to 15 is really weird, and 7 to 9 is super weird.
13 to 4 and 3 to 14 should be about the same walk unless they have moved the tee a lot further back on 4. You're right about 14, 8, 15. It's literally taking people out of the flow of holes, making them play a par 3 and then back to the other closing holes. 
Next!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
According to Google Earth

Edge of 13 green to edge of 4 tee: 75 yards
Edge of 3 green to edge of 14 tee: 238 yards

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back