News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Huff

Question for Doak - Rawls Course - Lubbock, Tx
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:40:01 PM »
I just took one of my players out there for a tournament and LOVED the course.  We were lucky enough to have the standard south wind and a north wind over 2 days.  Talk about 2 different courses!

My question is how much dirt was moved for this project if you even remember.  I had a dad of a local team tell me that land was a cotton field before you got there.  I can tell there was some moved to create visual boundarys on the edges of the course but a lot of the undulations look natural.  I have a hard time believing that place was a flat cotton field.

Any help?  Or anyone local to the area that can help.

On a side note, I was telling my player about you and he called you a dirty name the first time he stepped on the tee of the 501 yd. par 4 14th playing into a 20 mph wind.  Still made 4 though.

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Question for Doak - Rawls Course - Lubbock, Tx
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
I wouldn't post this picture unless Tom had described how it was a cotton field before.

I captured this aerial some time ago.
The upper portion - where you can see the irrigation circle - is most of the front 9.
Think of the 3rd & 6th holes in the field.
The earthwork shown in the bottom is 14-16.

What a great time to play - I had a chance to play one winter in both winds also.

Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Brad Huff

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:02:02 AM »
This looks like an "in progress" picture, correct?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
Brad:

Yes, that's an in-progress photo after the first 3-4 holes were shaped.  In the middle of the frame, just above center, you can see where a center pivot irrigation hub used to be [now the site of the eighth green after a considerable amount of work]. 

It's hard to even make out the greens since greens mix has not been added ... the white shapes you see are the tees.  One of the unusual aspects of the project is that we stripped the topsoil off the next four holes and put them on the first four, so we would only have to move a lot of the topsoil once.  Just picking up twelve inches of topsoil over the whole 250 acres equals 400,000 cubic yards of earthmoving, just to change blankets.

We moved 780,000 cubic yards of earth to build the project, not counting the topsoil.  Probably the minimum we could have moved to get the course to drain would have been 250,000 cubic yards (plus all that topsoil ... the soil was bad, so flat = no drainage = muddy mess).  So, it would have been very expensive even to create a simple course; we decided to go beyond that.  Nearly half of the earth was moved to the edges of the site to block out the views of the apartments to the east and north.  After the earth was moved by scrapers, three of my associates (plus Kye Goalby and one of the contractor's men) re-shaped everything to try and mimic the eroded landscape to the southeast of town.  They will all be thrilled to know that they finally fooled someone.

The weird thing is that I've been back to play the course three times since we built it, and all three times, it was in calm conditions.  I don't remember a single calm day when we were building it.

JohnH

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
Must have been sacrilege for you to build Rawls, Tom, with your minimalist background.

Brad Huff

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:38:30 AM »
Well I'm glad you said that JohnH because that's where I was gingerly heading...  I was curious because the land just didn't seem to fit your minimalistic style.  Don't get me wrong...I love the course.  To me it's best feature is that it rewards great shots and really punishes bad shots or decisions.  Thanks for the insight.  If my  player is good enough to qualify for the Regional Tournament, we'll be back and we'll be wiser.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
John H:

It would have been sacrilege, IF anyone could have built a good course on that land without moving a lot of dirt around.  But, as I explained above, that was completely impossible at Texas Tech.  So, we decided to try our hand at the other extreme.  I believe we were very efficient with our work, but I can't prove it.

The Rawls was the next course we built after Pacific Dunes ... we took the job because we needed a job, and because I thought it would be good for all of my crew to get back to reality and not lament about their next job site not being as good as Pacific.

I would love to move a lot of earth around again someday.  One of the downsides of such jobs is that you always think you could do way better, because you can't judge yourself on the basis of using what you had to work with.  In Lubbock the only thing we had to work with was the wind.

Peter Nomm

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
One of the downsides of such jobs is that you always think you could do way better, because you can't judge yourself on the basis of using what you had to work with. 

Just curious from Tom or any other architects - how much of this exists on a given golf course?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »
Boy, a bunch of newbie questions on this thread. ::)

So, indeed Mr. Doak, surely it must have been sacrilige ;)

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
 Michael, did Ran send you a marble pedestal when you hit 2000 posts?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »
Boy, a bunch of newbie questions on this thread. ::)

So, indeed Mr. Doak, surely it must have been sacrilige ;)

That ought to encourage them to post more......

I was thinking more along the lines that Tom handled the questions very gracefully.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back