News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Expandable/ Shrinkable golf course
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
I was reading Desmond Muirhead's book on how to play TOC, and one of the comments by Tip Anderson states:

"All the greens have been enlarged lately to accommodate increased play."

The book was published in 2000, but the remarks were made prior to that, I'm sure.

As I'm thinking through this, and quite frankly liking the idea of a moldable, movable course as it pertains to mow patterns and such, I'm wondering what the limitations are of doing this. My list, as of now, looks like this:

* A climate in which a turf species that is suitable for both fairway and green height is a must.

* Irrigation would need to either be nonexistant or situated such that future expansions don't require large sums of money and effort to move irrigation.

* Sandy, well drained soils such that greens can be wherever the mower goes. Today's greens are too dependent on the modern "welling out, importing soil" method.

* Natural land forms that allow interesting incorporation of surrounding areas without subsequent earth moving.

I'm sure there is other limitations or criteria. Is it even a feasable or desirable trait in a golf course? On the shrinking side of things, I think a course could start with smaller greens and tees, and expand them as play increases. Or, things get smaller in dwindling economies.

Has a golf course ever been intentionally designed to handle the potential changes of the long term? To think 50 years out isn't my forte, but has it been done?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matt_Cohn

Joe Hancock

Re: Expandable/ Shrinkable golf course
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
My apologies to Josh! When I first read through his thread, I thought more in mechanical terms. But now that I re-read it, I see he was alluding to the same types of thoughts as I, albeit 3 days late...... :-[

Carry on.....

Joe

p.s. Josh, my initial post in this thread is what I think about concerning your thread..... ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Josh Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
Joe,

If you were not such a good friend, I would have thought this was a thread version of a mo-town car jack.  (and I am from Detroit)

I would really like to hear more peoples opinion on this.  As the knowledgeable greenskeeper that you are, I am glad to see you didn't totally dismiss the idea based on difficulty.

Josh

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:39:15 AM »
Joe -

I've been trying to wrap my head around the concept, but I can't seem to (that's my problem, not the concept's).  But this struck me: look at how many useful/practical ideas come from just this one bit of outside the box thinking...ideas that could be in widespread practice now, e.g. and as you mentioned:

- the greater use of turf species suitable for both fairway and green height
- new style irrigation that's easily moved or expanded
- a move away from the "welling out, importing soil" method of greens building
- greater appreciation and use of natural land forms

All excellent ideas in any context.

When I throw out design ideas here that seem impractical or idealistic, it's because of the network of connections with all aspects of golf and golf course architecture that exists. So, for example, it seems to me that a  true and profound naturalism in design intent would foster innovative agronomic and irrigation and construction ideas/techniques.

If you can't get to the stars you might still reach the moon, that sort of thing.

Why not, huh?

Peter 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back