News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joshua Pettit

1938 Mystery Aerial
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »
I was asked to post this on someone else's behalf.  Can anyone identify the course shown in this aerial from 1938?  Once identified, an interesting and informative discussion should follow. 

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

John Moore II

Re: 1938 Mystery Aerial
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »
Any hints? Like a general location or something?

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
CalClub of South San Francisco. Front nine is top/left, with big open 25-acre parcel in the middle left - now the scene of Kyle Phillip's new 7th (cape) hole.

Returning nines. Back nine, lower right center, has the bulk of the MacKenzie bunkering. Verneon Macan's work was always overstated here in that he did rather less than is attributed to him. Routing remained until RTJ in mid-1960s took out and modified holes 2-5 to accommodate major road construction along that treed squiggly line.

Kyle Phillip's renovation/restoration debuts in June.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:34:46 PM by Brad Klein »

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
That was quick, now we must await Mr. Smith's remarks.

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »
Good info Brad. 

That was a lot less fun than I thought it was going to be.  I was hoping you would dial in with some of the great historical data about the club, just maybe not so soon. :-\  Kind of like the a big kid going "Canseco" on the pinata in the first at bat.

Look forward to seeing you this summer. 

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
Josh,
Can you identify the source of the photo? It looks like it's from the Dept. of Agriculture collection but what's strange is that the entire series of 1938 photos from that area of California is not at the National Archives. The oldest aerials they have were taken in 1943. If the 1938 rolls are held somewhere, it would be a great find.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
So where does Highway 280 now run?

Craig:  Do you know if the old aerials you discuss are on line?  This aerial has great clarity for an old photo.  Thanks.

Josh Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Craig,

I got a '37 partial aerial, a '38 oblique and Mark and Kyle got the '38 aerial from a spot in Oakland near the airport.  I will try to find the name of the company.

Joel,

Highway 280 is off the page on the left running bottom to top, while an intersection was heavily filled within a couple of blocks of the property, 280 didn't directly impact the holes, 4 lane Westborough Ave did.  The squiggly tree line that you see running from left to right in an slight upward fashion is where Westborough runs and continues:  You see where that dark squiggly line of trees towards the center right of the photo does a downward turn towards the clubhouse.  If you took that spot and drew a diagonal line from there up to the upper right corner of the photo you basically have current Westborough Ave completely cutting off the old par 4 second hole and making adjustments to other holes.  That happened in the mid 60s.  Restricted by the new boundry Robert Trent Jones made some adjustments at that point switching par on 2 holes, squeezing the par 4 hole two tighter to the range (also shoe horning it alongside and above Westborough) and adjusting the teeing area and adding a pond to the par 3 hole in that area.

That pond and the other two added in the early nineties to holes 11 and 18 were all removed this year.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
What was the date of MacKenzie's work there?

What was the date of Macan's work there?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »
Brad, when you say Macan's work was "overstated," wasn't he the original architect?  If he wasn't, who was?  I thought Macan designed the course in 1918.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
Josh,
Can you identify the source of the photo? It looks like it's from the Dept. of Agriculture collection but what's strange is that the entire series of 1938 photos from that area of California is not at the National Archives. The oldest aerials they have were taken in 1943. If the 1938 rolls are held somewhere, it would be a great find.

Craig,

What in particular about that Cal Club aerial photo makes you think it was from the USDA?  Just curious.  I was never able to find any photos from them of the areas I was looking for.  However I did get some some California aerials from the National Archives that are dated 1942, but they weren't necessarily from the USDA.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Brad,

Have you encountered any references to "Mac" doing work at the Cal Club.  Some may mistake this as a reference to MacKenzie when in reality it was Arthur Vernon Macan's nickname. 

Craig Disher

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

Craig,

What in particular about that Cal Club aerial photo makes you think it was from the USDA?  Just curious.  I was never able to find any photos from them of the areas I was looking for.  However I did get some some California aerials from the National Archives that are dated 1942, but they weren't necessarily from the USDA.
Josh,
The scale and quality are consistent with the rest of the USDA collection. At some point all the USDA aerials taken from 1936 through the early 1950s were turned over to the National Archives. If you received a 1942 aerial from them, I'm sure it was from either the USDA collection or a smaller set from the Soil Conservation Service. NARA refers to the USDA collection as RG (Record Group) 145. The SCS collection is RG 114. Did this photo come from NARA?

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »
Cal Club:

Willie Locke & Vernon Macan, 1924-25; Alistair MacKenzie 1927; Robert Trent Jones Sr. & Jr., 1966; Master Plans by Robert Muir Graves, 1980s, and John Harbottle, 1990s; Doug Nichols, 1997 (bunker & tee renovation); major renovation/restoration, Kyle Phillips, 2007

The original location was in Ingleside, where a course that had been built for the San Francisco G&CC and then abandoned was leased by the newly formed Cal Club in 1918. Owing to the constraints of a road crossing, the limits of the lease, and activity at a nearby airport, a new site was secured, the club’s present location in South San Francisco.

The terrain chosen for the golf course in 1924 was a 200-acre parcel, bounded on the north by San Bruno Creek. According to unpublished research by club historian Lee Osbourne, the Cal Club’s routing was done in 1924 by a Scottish-born golf pro and occasional course designer named Willie Lock (or Locke) who had done a handful of other courses in the San Francisco area.

Early on in the construction phase, it appears the club brought in Vernon Macan (1882-1964). An Irish-born golfer who had come to British Columbia in 1917, Macan quickly established himself as a fine amateur golfer and as course designer of modest achievement.

Cal Club opened for play in 1926. By the end of the next year, the club responded favorably to a solicitation by Alistair MacKenzie to do some consulting work at the Cal Club. MacKenzie was just in the process of establishing himself in California.

It's difficult to determine how much time he spent at Cal Club. Mr. Osbourne says very little, but there is no question from aerials of the day that pronounced bunkers in MacKenzie‘s style were established in the 1920s on holes 8-18. MacKenzie also publicized his work at the Cal Club in trade industry magazine ads, and in an essay published in 1933 (“Problems in Remodeling Courses,” The American Golfer), claimed that his work there “saved the club(s) the whole of the cost of reconstruction in reducing maintenance every year since the modeling was carried out.”

In subsequent years, the bunkers were dramatically softened in depth, shape and character. A major step in the softening of the course’s character came with road widening in 1966 that led to relocation of five holes, in part or in entirety. The work, contracted out to Robert Trent Jones Sr., was actually undertaken by his son, Robert Trent Jones Jr., based in Palo Alto, Cal. Like much of the renovation work undertaken by architects in the 1960s-1980s, this renovation work at the Cal Club bore no resemblance to the original form or style of the holes. It is not even clear, in retrospect, that the road development required impact on all five holes or that it required reversing the length and par of holes 4 and 5.

Kyle Phillip's work is based, due to open in June 2008, is a recapturing of the style and feel of the old MacKenzie bunkering but with some considerable modification of routing on the first eight holes owing to available land (a 22-acre parcel in the middle) and the decision to move the antiquated range from between 1& 2 to a much larger parcel away from the clubhouse on the grounds of the old eighth hole. He also removed two ponds by the 11th and 18th greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back