News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

The Castle Course at St Andrews may wish to redesign itself!

I thought I would check through some of our old photo’s to see if we had
anything on Biarritz (or perhaps even the Chasm), but no. So decided to
spend sometime checking out the photos from The University of St Andrews
Archive web site (real interesting, if you have the time), so having scanned
through the best part of 1000 photos, I have so far found no mention of
The Chasm. However found some pictures from The Castle Course area
at St Andrews.

Sorry, I am unable to download the photos, as my attachment download tells me that ‘an error has occurred’ and that ‘the upload folder is full’. So
I hope someone will be kind enough to download them on my behalf. 

Looking at the photos they appear to be the early foundations for one of the very deep bunkers. I have also learnt that the course may possess
the ability to add its own additional bunkers or hazards as you play the course – that is thanks to, surprisingly German old heavy earth moving technology, in the form of unexploded WW2 bombs which had been dropped on the Boarhills area circa 1940. What was that thread I posted
a few weeks ago ‘Land Fit for Purpose'? Looks like the Castle Course may have some hidden depths (or should I have called it, heights) for the unsuspecting golfer.

Perhaps a word of warning when playing the course – well to those big hitters, please play with caution!   

In all seriousness, the course is safe – remember the amount of soil movement when the course was constructed, all allegedly without any mishap.

Land, indeed fit for purpose!!  Any more courses out there with similar stories?

Bill_McBride

Re: The Castle Course at St Andrews may wish to redesign itself!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
Here are the photos Melvyn mentions:

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »
You think.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
Melvyn,

Just down the road, and in this case literally so, the original KIngsbarns course suffered a somewhat similar during the war and when constructed.
    In 1939, the winds of war were sweeping over the North Sea to the links of Scotland from Europe, the might of Hitler’s armies showing there evil. On a cold December day two men in a black Ford automobile drove down the rough beach road in Kingsbarns and stopped at the clubhouse gate. Waiting for them was Mr. Turnbull of Boghall, Captain of the Kingsbarns Home Guard. Together the three men walked over the fourth green and down the fairway toward the beach.
    They were from the Ministry of Defense and the purpose of the visit was to ascertain how difficult it would be for an enemy assault force to land and secure a beachhead on the links. It didn’t take a long look for them to realize that it would not be difficult at all for the entire German army to arrive, and that this fact was not likely to have escaped the notice of Hitler’s Intelligence Agents that were traveling throughout the British Isles at that time.
    Action would need to be taken, and right away.
    The men next went to Cambo house and there informed Sir Thomas Erskine that his links land, the beach and the beach road, would be laid with land mines over the coming weeks, and that he would be required to provide all necessary assistance to the Sapper Regiment engaged in this. This would prove to be just the beginning.
    Two pillboxes were constructed on the ridge of the raised beach, one at each end of the bay. They scheduled members of the Polish Army to man these, and they informed the town folk that until they did, that the Kingsbarns Unit of the Home Guard would bear the responsibility for manning them. In addition, all of the flat land from Kingsbarns through Stony Wind, Sandy Hall to Boghill to Boarhills, was to be covered with poles set into the ground to deter landings by airborne assault paratroops.
    Work went on slowly over the next three months. Each mine was mapped and the public was warned, with leaflets being given to every household and notices posted around the entire barbed-wire enclosed area. The beach and the links, fields and woods were all abandoned. No one would dare go on them.
    Unfortunately, a dog cannot be taught to not go into these areas where many had spent happy times running and exploring. Mr. Turnbull of Boghall’s Labrador gun dog was killed in an explosion that caused every villager to turn their heads and run down to the wire for a look. This would happen to other valued pets and even an unsuspecting fox or badger, awakening villagers in their soft warm beds during the dark of night. The Polish soldiers who may have even found themselves dozing off in their pillboxes were awakened to a start on many an evening.
    With the end of the war, Polish Sappers were assigned to clear out the mines from the links. The barbed-wire was torn down and removed, as were the warning notices. The government gave the links back to the people of Kingsbarns; they could enjoy their fields and beaches once again.
    When Sir Thomas was informed that the land was cleared of mines and that the Cambo estate could return to operating the farm. Bit Erskine had served in the armed forces when he was younger and understood that a number of mines may have been missed. He informed the people of the village and the Ministry of Defence that he was not prepared to accept the return of the land and for it to be put back to its original use. He demanded that the Ministry graze sheep on his land, at their expense, for at least three months before he would accept it and allow anyone to set foot on it.
    Within a week an explosion had rocked the village. After two weeks there were three explosions from un-removed mines that provided a great deal of mutton on the plates of the villagers. This unexpected feast was a boon to the villagers who had little meat for their tables during the war years. In addition, credit must be given to Sir Thomas for saving a countless number of lives. After several more weeks he was satisfied that the fields were safe once again.
    The Erskine family was compensated for the mining of their land, and to the surprise of many, the Kingsbarns Golf Club was also. The Ministry of Defence in an overly-generous settlement, gave the club 600 pounds as settlement. The Club committee had already decided that they would continue on, but that they would play at the links of nearby Crail. They put their financial windfall in the bank and left it untouched. For years to come, the drinks at the annual dinner and presentation of prizes were paid for out of the interest from this money. Still, just as the original club had helped the poor of the village, the Club eventually donated the money to build a new bus shelter in the village.
    Meanwhile, the greens of the original course were re-established and a small amount of golf was played, but with the Club having moved to Crail, it no longer going to be what it once was. Two years later the committee informed Sir Thomas that they would relinquish their leases of the links.
    The old days are very much alive at Kingsbarns, yet never more so than the day that the last of the buried mines that so concerned Peter Erskine was discovered… the hard way. Fortunately, no one was hurt, though a tractor paid the ultimate price in the explosion that followed the discovery.   

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:20:50 AM »
Thanks Philip

Very interesting

I have always said that these older courses can give the player a more challenging and rewarding game. But watch the path a local plays and follow him and for goodness sake keep out of the rough and bunkers!!

These hidden hazards, lets hope they do not catch you.

Note
It has been brought to my attention that some believe that I have been a little harsh towards modern Architects in some of my comments and my article ‘In My Opinion’ section. This was and is not my intention. I have no axe to grind with any modern Architect. Having worked as a consultant in another field, I fully understand the limitation that can be placed upon a designer. Starting with the Clients Brief, Budget, quality of site, environment etc. etc., No criticism is levied at their door, you have to work with the tools you are given. The Castle Course is a typical example, considering the limitations, the actual design represents a fair links course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
Philip, thanks for that interesting story.  I wonder if the beach areas at Crail were also mined, but most of that course is pretty far above the beach.  I think the far northern area that makes #5 a long par 4 was just purchased by the club within the past 10 or 20 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back