News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Boston Golf Club - Links Mag
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:58:31 AM »
I've captured a couple of pictures from an old sleeper thread from a couple of years ago. (The new SEARCH really does work nicely.)

The latest issue of Links has a small article of Gil Hanse's Boston Golf Club, founded by a visionary by the name of John Mineck, who, sadly, was tragically killed last May while working on the course.
  I did some googlin' but got spotty results. And it hasn't gotten much speak here that I can find. 

I was just curious if this fine looking course plays as tremendously as it is presented in the magazine and these photo's? (Which I believe were taken by the esteemed Tommy N.)

This was the first full year the club has been open with all 18 holes and it got rave reviews. 

#17 American Chestnut - BGC

#14 Big Sky - BGC

#6 Wild Turkey - BGC

BTW The LINKS issue has some nice picts of Murcar Links - celebrating its centenary.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:03:56 AM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Willie_Dow

Re: Boston Golf Club - Links Mag
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:45:59 AM »
Some of the greatest bunkers by Kittleman and Wagner that I've ever tried to extricate.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
One of my very favorite courses and in my mind, one of the ten best courses built in the past 50 years.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
Totally impressed with Gil's bunkering - here and at other places.  Just hope that the maintenance doesn't ruin it.
Coasting is a downhill process

D_Malley

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
  Thanks George, apparently I didn't dig deep enough.

And at the end of that picturesque thread is . . .
 http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?board=1%3baction=display%3bthreadid=19187

which gives an "after grow in" look to the place.

Many belated thanks to Scott Burroughs for all the work to share.

The 1st Hole green complex looks much better with the tall grass "coloring" them but the shapes seem a bit close to the green - but I haven't seen it in the flesh - perhaps they are less confining than they look in the photo. 
  Pains me to be fault-finding on such an impressive overall result.

To me its the pairs of mounds at the 1 and 2 o'clock right that bug me the most.  They seem to fight the land profile whereas the other mounds work for me.

Love this after picture - I assume it to be a tee-to-fairway carry.

These were nice threads to glaze my eyes with on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:31:55 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Michael Powers

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Played BGC this fall and overall I was impressed.  The routing was excellent with short walks from green to tee, a few holes (like 7th green to 8th, and 8th green to 9th tee)  had closely mown areas which morphed into the tee box.  The holes are laid out in all different directions, which makes it difficult to read the wind.  The course also offers a outstanding variety of tee shots, several of which are semi-blind or totally blind.  I was not thrilled with the totally blind tee shot off #1.  I loved the bunkering throughout, especially the 6th, which is a reverse redan with Pine Valley like waste area which wraps around the right side of the green.  Havn't made my mind up on #5.  If there is any wind it will be the most demanding pitch shot of your life.  Several of the green are WAY over the top in terms of slope.  There is one par three, I think it may be #11 which is very wild.  I think #12 would be a better hole with a little less slope in the green.  If they get their greens running fast, there may be only 2 hole locations there.  Would like to have a crack at it on a calm 80 degree day rather than the 50 degrees we played in.  One of the top 10 courses of the past 50 years?  no, but I enjoyed it.
HP

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back