News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

This question is inspired by the Pinehurst overhead thread which shows how far into the primary rough the "fairway" bunkers are now positioned as well as the bunkers in the rough thread. 

I went back and looked at some of the Doak and C & C courses profiled here and it appears that their bunkers tend to be situated at least partially in what Hootie calls the first cut, but with the side facing away from the fairway may be in higher or primary rough.  The side of the bunker facing the fairway may be a transitional area, but it is rarely 4-inch high primary rough.

This thread isn't about everyone's favorite - the centerline bunker - but the vast majority of bunkers which are positioned on the edge of the preferred line of play.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:14:16 PM by Phil Benedict »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Where Should the Fairway Bunkers Be Positioned?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
You going to get a split decision on this.  Everyone has a different view.  My preference is that rough should not stop the ball from going in a bunker.  I played Wanimoisett a few years ago and they have some with and some without.  My club has rough in front and around every bunker.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
Joel,

You believe the grass in the direction from where is hit should be cut as fairway?  Makes sense.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »
I think that the edge of play for bunkers is great, even bunkers on each side to prevent a bailout away from the other bunker. Centerline bunkers are good as well. even total cross bunkers.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »
My pet peeve is fairway bunkers in the rough.  I believe they were originally designed to be in the fairway but over time, the fairways have been narrowed for any of a variety of reasons - "increased difficulty," economy, short staffing.

Here's the ideal - at Hoylake.  There's absolutely nothing to stop a ball hit toward these bunkers from running into them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back