News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Boardman

quick question for architects
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
In general, and I mean the broadest sense, what is the average size of space you set aside for a clubhouse/parking/etc.?  Of course I realize it varies with site, client, and course model, but throw out a ballpark figure if you could.  Thanks.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: quick question for architects
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:54:14 AM »
In general, and I mean the broadest sense, what is the average size of space you set aside for a clubhouse/parking/etc.?  Of course I realize it varies with site, client, and course model, but throw out a ballpark figure if you could.  Thanks.
You answered your question really each site varies also clients future expansion ideas are worth considering. Clubhouse sizes can be from 6,000 sq ft upwards perhaps to 25,000 sq ft footprint with paths etc, that ofcourse is not much more than a large green complex. Car parking arranged at a maximum you need to allow 2.4 x 4.8 Metres per space with 6 metres to turn. I think 200 car park spaces per 5000 sq metres is a possible, naturally you may want to break this up with planting. Service roads to clubhouse kitchens etc need considering. Greenkeepers maintenance areas need quite a lot ofspace too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Brent Boardman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:35:59 AM »
Thanks Adrian - I'm actually a couple of months away from my degree in Landscape Architecture, so I'm up to speed on the particulars of parking stalls, turning widths, etc.  In reality, I was more interested in what a working architect might consider setting aside in the earlier stages of planning.  My friend Ryan mentioned that Hurdzan quoted three acres as a rule of thumb in his book (though he mentioned that may be on the conservative side).

Any additional thoughts are welcome.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:15:04 AM »
4 to 6 acres is usually enough, with 4 being plenty for a typical public clubhouse.  With proper site planning you can get by with 3 acres, sometimes.  Or another way to estimate it, if working at 100 scale is to put your hand on the plan and trace the area around it, which works out about the same.  If you have small hands, you might be known as the "gca who leaves too little room for the clubhouse" at some point in the future, but its a risk you have to take!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Lester George

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
Jeff B. beat me to it but we usually set aside 4 to 6 acres unless there is some other circumstance that dictates more. 

At Ballyhack, where cottages are involved, we will set aside another 6 acres for those.

Lester

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
Jeff B. beat me to it but we usually set aside 4 to 6 acres unless there is some other circumstance that dictates more. 

At Ballyhack, where cottages are involved, we will set aside another 6 acres for those.

Lester
Average UK size would be nearer 1 acre for existing clubs, there is less need to store buggies and with our climate we tend to stay inside the clubhouse. We in the UK have between 16-20 houses normally per acre in general town and resort planning, so we have everything much smaller. 0.8 acre of parking per 18 holes with practice facilities should be enough
wherever you are in the world, its the gardens and buffer areas around that will vary.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »
Adrian,

In the US we may have more strict parking lot codes.  It takes about 325 sf per car here, so you are figuring on only 100 cars or so.  It usually takes 150-200 for a public course in America, since every one drives....

Also, while there are some great examples  of just the clubhouse building tucked tight to the putting clock and first tee, its wise to leave more room for a clubhouse lawn to set up the look of the building.  If we leave it tighter, there may be some real safety problems, and the architect might complain we compromise the aesthetics of the building.

Of course, in my experience, the clubhouse is designed later, so I just make sure I leave enough room. 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carl Rogers

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
One unmentioned variable is the complexity of food service within the clubhouse (the big kitchen...high dollar) and the size of delivery trucks.  Trucks take up more room than you think and path from the street to the kitchen door can not be treated casually.  Need a spot for the dumpster.

Kevin Rich

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
I also agree with Jeff and Lester here...we usually account for 4-6 acres.  It all depends on the programming for the architecture, as I'm sure you realize, but you do have to consider things such as: Size of Clubhouse, Parking, Cart Storage (under the CH or it's own building), additional buildings (i.e. pro shop, dining, locker rooms can all be housed in seperate buildings), cart and pedestrian circulation (i.e. are 1, 9, 10 and 18 (and more) all at the clubhouse), event facilities (weddings, banquets, etc), service access....and so on.  

And as Jeff mention, safety is a big concern...don't want a couple walking out to get their wedding photos and getting bonked on the head!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:52:00 AM by Kevin Rich »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »
192 cars per 4840 sq yards (1 acre) is the maximum to current UK guidelines. We were talking an average so Im kinding basing it on a standard course (the existing ones in the UK are usually desperate for more space). But really its all about the buffers around and in modern design we all leave much more. 3 acres is much more the figure for a standard UK course, thats 1.5 acres of buffer.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
Adrian

I also agree with Jeff and Lester here...we usually account for 4-6 acres.  It all depends on the programming for the architecture, as I'm sure you realize, but you do have to consider things such as: Size of Clubhouse, Parking, Cart Storage (under the CH or it's own building), additional buildings (i.e. pro shop, dining, locker rooms can all be housed in seperate buildings), cart and pedestrian circulation (i.e. are 1, 9, 10 and 18 (and more) all at the clubhouse), event facilities (weddings, banquets, etc), service access....and so on.  

And as Jeff mention, safety is a big concern...don't want a couple walking out to get their wedding photos and getting bonked on the head!
Rich- but thats not a standard golf course, plus UK to USA is very different because we dont really the have big buggy fleets. I agree if you are talking a 'Country Club' 6 acres is more the norm. Clearly the range could be 1 acre upwards.

Kevin Rich

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
The question was average size set aside during preliminary planning....4-6 acres is the norm for us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back