News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Re: Best Hole I've Played In Awhile.....
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
It might be a more interesting hole if the fairway was shaped like a "P", with a new slash of fairway turf slashing between the bunkers angled toward the green. Or, if the fairway was"G" shaped. (I know the Supers out there won't like that second notion. Really, the hole is too short for that option, methinks.)  Or it could be "F" shaped. 

That said, I think as it is, it would be a nice hole to discover and study. Also, to examine it without the Carry Numbers and all that stuff that makes us overknow the hole before we've even stepped onto the green.  I like yardage books but sometimes they can distract while you're playing. All those numbers take something away from the reliance on the eyes and architectural sightplay.

I want to reply on the second part of this comment as well, because it's a key element of this course. Without the yardage guide, I would have said the course would have been TWICE as hard as I found it to be. Why? Because there is really NOTHING out there to give you any sense of scale. Nothing on the horizon, no trees, no houses, no buildings. There are several "alternate landing areas" on a couple par 5s, but it's extremely difficult to know how far the carry to them is without looking at the guide. But hitting them makes the green much more reachable in two.

We made this mistake on the 1st hole, a par 5 with a fairway that shoots straight out off the tee, then ducks down over the hill. We all hit our drives right down the middle of that fairway, and come to find the hole makes a sharp dogleg right and half our group have driven their "perfect shots" through the fairway. Some would argue bad design, due to the blind nature of an opening tee shot, as I did when it was happening. However, I could see now that for competitions, familiarity with the course and the leg work your caddy would have to do (if you had one) would be key on this kind of layout.

Here's a picture of the opening hole, and the second shot from the corner of the dogleg.

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Reef Wilson

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 11:02:43 PM »
I actually played this hole myself a few weeks ago (and gave a little review of the course in another thread) and while it was my favorite on the course I couldn't help but compare it to other short par 4s like #3 at Rustic Canyon. Here I drove 10 feet short of the green (aided by a big tail wind!) but the high handicappers I was with all came up short of the fairway while trying to go straight for the green and ended up in some poorly maintained rough/long grass on either side of the furthest right bunker. IMO, the other options are discouraged by the narrowness of the fairway on the left.

Conversely, the 3rd at rustic presents such great options to you from the tee, even though your view is more restricted. And (at rustic) if you decide to go right at the green and are well short you don't get as severely punished as you are here. So, while I had a fun time with this hole and would love to give it another go the next time I am that way, as I have thought about it more it shines a little less brightly in my mind.

I still definitely love the look of the course with those dormant fairways like that. Thanks for posting the pics!

another hint of where the course is: I think you could get there from Rustic Canyon in about 5 turns.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:24:30 PM by Reef Wilson »

Reef Wilson

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
Is it as un-walkable as it looks? If so, to me it really doesn't matter how good the shot values/strategic options are.

yes, quite unwalkable IMO. some very long walks from green to tee. I might have tried to walk it if I hadn't walked 4 rounds in the previous 3 days

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
another hint of where the course is: I think you could get there from Rustic Canyon in about 5 turns.

Reef

With those big long highways in california nearby to Rustic Canyon, I think that puts the course somewhere between Mexico and Canada!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »
What and where is this course?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 01:19:58 PM »
Its in "true" nor cal off highway 5 in between Redding and Sac-Town.

http://www.sevillanolinks.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back