News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: The lesser known courses on the Monterey Peninsula-KP week
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
David,

If you are flying in to SJ, probably closer to 1.5 hour drive to Marina.  I'm staying in Monterey.

Kalen

rchesnut

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
Tom, don't hold back...how do you REALLY feel about Harding Park?   ;D  Actually, I don't think it's that great a course, but if you're flying into SF or Oakland, I think it's a fun experience to play there, then take a leisurely drive down the coast as the sun's going down.  A more memorable day than playing at Del Monte.

For those coming from out of town with connections or unlimited bank accounts, I'll state the obvious -- use the extra day and play one of the great courses instead.  If you're at the Pasatiempo exit on Hwy 17, you're within a one hour drive of 6 Top 100 courses  (I don't think there's another such concentration in the country).  Just don't forget your friends when you get that tee time at Cypress  :) 

Rob

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »
David,
  I wouldn't worry about the 5:30 flight. By the time you get your rental and head out it'll be after 6pm. Just bring a few CD's, listen to some music, and you'll be at your hotel before 8pm. You can just daydream about the fun you are going to be having that week. I think you will be happier going up and over the Santa Cruz mountains in the daylight.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 10:54:29 PM »
I'm flying into SJ on Thursday around 9 am... Should be good for the drive south by the time I get my sh*t and get the convertible. Yes, I rented a convertible as I am an aquarius stuck in AZ and I need a water/ocean/how f**king coooool is that fix ;)

Now, onto those with connections and bank accounts. You mention 6, so I'm thinking:

1. Pasatiempo
2. Cypress Point
3. Pebble Beach
4. Spyglass
5. Monterrey Peninsula CC; and
??? What is the 6th course, as I'm in for the long haul and willing to call in some favors...
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
I'm flying into SJ on Thursday around 9 am... Should be good for the drive south by the time I get my sh*t and get the convertible. Yes, I rented a convertible as I am an aquarius stuck in AZ and I need a water/ocean/how f**king coooool is that fix ;)

Now, onto those with connections and bank accounts. You mention 6, so I'm thinking:

1. Pasatiempo
2. Cypress Point
3. Pebble Beach
4. Spyglass
5. Monterrey Peninsula CC; and
??? What is the 6th course, as I'm in for the long haul and willing to call in some favors...

Olympic...SFGC

That should be enough to keep you busy   :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:58:51 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

rchesnut

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
Thanks Kyle, yes, I was referring to San Francisco and Olympic.  I wasn't counting MPCC ( I was going by Golf Magazine's 2007 list), but it's (deservedly) on a lot of Top 100 lists and could easily be #7.

I wonder what geographic area would place second by that criteria...that is, a Top 100 course that lies within an hour of so drive of other Top 100 courses.  Bandon has 3....

Tony Petersen

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
I'm flying into SJ for a reason... If I visit San Fran, I won't leave, I will lose my job and end up peddling iTunes outside of Giants games before losing myself in the Loatian jungle, strung out on the "evil" poppy while nodding off in a hammock ;)

I was hoping that I was missing a "forgotten" gem around Monterrey, and you are soooooo right about SFGC... I could play that course every day for the rest of my life and die a happy man. My thinking for Thursday if none of the privates or Pebble fly is to get in my 36-fix at Pasatiempo. Close to the airport, realistically on the course early enough for 36 and a beautiful sunset drive with the top down on the 1... Just what the doctor ordered :D

I would have to vote for Long Island, NY as a pretty fair concentration of some alright golf ;) Funny how often people forget...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:50:41 AM by TonyP »
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 10:16:05 AM »
David,
  I wouldn't worry about the 5:30 flight. By the time you get your rental and head out it'll be after 6pm. Just bring a few CD's, listen to some music, and you'll be at your hotel before 8pm. You can just daydream about the fun you are going to be having that week. I think you will be happier going up and over the Santa Cruz mountains in the daylight.

Ed, you remain the most optomistic person about drive times I have ever met.  If Tony can get off a plane at 5:30pm at SJC and be at his Monterey hotel at 8, then every drink for him that weekend is on me.  Note I assume he won't charter a helicopter to get down there.

My friend, the traffic on south 101 - or 17 - at that time of day is among the worst on this planet.  He won't go more than 25mph until he gets to Gilroy (101) or over the hill on to 1 (via 17).

My advice would be to go have dinner somewhere in San Jose, let the traffic die, then follow Ed's leisurely drive plan.  You'll get to Monterey and about the same time, with zero stress.

Rob - re Harding, well... I don't HATE it, I just do think they could have done so much more in the re-do, and what's there is just not worth detouring for... Sure you're plan of starting in SFO, playing that, then the leisurely drive down is decent - but man before you advocated trekking UP from Monterey specifically to play Harding!  The first plan would be decent - the second madness.
 ;D

Tony Petersen

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 03:12:37 AM »
What's the over/under on weather that time of year... I'm thinking 70/30, or we looking at 50/50 or an AZ 99.9/100???  ;) And yes, I've checked the histories, but I'm a people person, damnit!  ;) (Office Space if you haven't seen the classic)

Tony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
Tony - I assume you're asking about chances of rain in late April?

Without checking any websites, I'd say 30%.  That is, it surely could rain, but most likely won't.

Which is pretty much the same thing you'd say about NorCal from beginning of October through end of May...

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
I think end of April looks pretty good....Take a look at this:

http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/California/monterey.htm

Tony Petersen

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
bump.... ;) Thanks again for the update on the weather...

Tony Petersen

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 01:36:24 AM »
DeLaveaga? I'm intrigued... Check out their website, did on a search on GCA.com and found a little... Since Pasa is a wash for Thurs. of the KP, can anyone give a little insight into it's neigbor to the E?

Sounds like Aptos/Seascape is mmmm-hoooo, so that's a pass. Bayonet seems like it would be a good test of golf, Pajaro Valley sounds (and looks) like a fun afternoon and Del Monte (with it's mini Church Pews even?) seems like it would be a great time on a piece from the past...

Nothing else seems to P-O-P (that's not already on the agenda), other than the obvious "dream 36" which may, but may not... Just wanna come up with a cool "safety school" for Thurs. in case "Cypress Beach" ends up being a thin letter in a small envelope  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:25:30 AM by Tony Petersen »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
DeLaveaga could go in the "polarizing golf courses thread", if only because I love it and Pieracci and Benham hate it.

It's a quite short course, as you saw.  On top of that, it's claustrophobically tight on many holes, with huge trees and many sharp doglegs.  It is definitely not everyone's cup of tea; primarily because the best and smartest way to play it is quite literally to leave your woods in the car.

BUT.. if one has a bit of sense of humor, and likes to make choices on the tee other than just bash away with driver, it is good fun.  The greens are pretty darn cool also.  On top of that, the 10th hole needs to be seen to be believe... it tends to make most "best 18 in the area" lists and holds it's head up nicely againstg the better holes at nearby big brother Pasatiempo.

The downside is conditions are darn near always iffy- if there's been any rain at all, skip it - drainage is awful.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
Just a couple of other courses you may want to consider that haven't been mentioned in awhile.

Pacific Grove and San Juan Oaks.  PG is right there and could also work as a thursday or friday round in addition to Saturday morning.  San Juan Oaks is just a short drive over to Hollister.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back