News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

George Thomas 18 hole par 3 course
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »
I am certain someone here will be able to give a thorough accurate answer.

The pages at the back of George Thomas' Golf Architecture in America (1927) feature plans for an 18 hole complex, of par 3 holes, of various lengths, and interesting greens.

Has any attempt ever been made to build this course? It would be a wonderful project.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David Stamm

Re: George Thomas 18 hole par 3 course
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
Matthew, GT had constructed a nine hole "Mashie" course that occupied the land the driving range now sits on at Riviera. No hole was more than 100 yds if memory serves. It supposedly was very exacting. Willie Watson had also done a 9 hole par 3 course called Sunset Canyon (NLE) that was quite a bit more demanding in length with some of more 200 yds. There is a photo of one of the holes in your book.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »
I forgot to mention the mashie course that Bell had done in Tijuana, Agua Calinete. A hotel now sits on the site and was to compliment the big course, now called Tijuana CC.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »
Does anyone know who designed the 9 hole, very short "mashie" course on the grounds of the Awahnee Hotel at Yosemite?

I remember playing it in the late '50s with my family on a vacation.  The holes were mostly very short but the bunkers were above the tiny green surfaces and sometimes you had to pitch under an overhanging tree.  It was very sporty and you could play it in about half an hour.

Last time I was there I wandered out behind the hotel with drink in hand, looking for the wee course.  NLE.  :'(

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:21:45 PM »
Does anyone know who designed the 9 hole, very short "mashie" course on the grounds of the Awahnee Hotel at Yosemite?

I remember playing it in the late '50s with my family on a vacation.  The holes were mostly very short but the bunkers were above the tiny green surfaces and sometimes you had to pitch under an overhanging tree.  It was very sporty and you could play it in about half an hour.

Last time I was there I wandered out behind the hotel with drink in hand, looking for the wee course.  NLE.  :'(

I don't know about that one, Bill. I know Wawona Hotel still has it's 9 holer in Yosemite, the only one within the park. I know a certain someone here on this site that featured it in a book about 9's. ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
David, I've played the Wawona course, very fun if a bit rustic  :o  but the par 3 course was behind the Awahnee out by the Merced River.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:26:16 PM »
I believe the par-three course that George C. Thomas built at Riviera is the same one that MacKenzie saw during his visit with Thomas in early 1928, and he expressed his dislike for the course, citing that it was monotonous and repetitive, ands that it lacked strategy.  Of course The Doctor may have been slightly bitter, as he arrived at Riviera hoping that he would receive the commission to design the course, thus possibly the reason for his unfavourable opinion of Thomas’ work.   
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
David, I've played the Wawona course, very fun if a bit rustic  :o  but the par 3 course was behind the Awahnee out by the Merced River.

Bill, you're right, it is rustic! I really enjoyed it. I played it 2 times and the second time was late in the day. I had the whole course to myself. I don't know if you remember the course that well, but the 6th hole sits in the farthest point from the road. I kid you not, while I was back there I heard a bear and it scared the s**t out of me. I sounded like it was some distance away, but I just stood there on the green motionless. I didn't thear anything else, so I cautiously played on. Talk about a unique hazard! :o BTW, the hole after that, the 7th, is really cool par 4.

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »
I kid you not, while I was back there I heard a bear and it scared the s**t out of me. I sounded like it was some distance away, but I just stood there on the green motionless.

David

from your description above, I think there was a moment when you were not 'motionless'! ;D

James B

ps  Yosemite is a magnificent place.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
I kid you not, while I was back there I heard a bear and it scared the s**t out of me. I sounded like it was some distance away, but I just stood there on the green motionless.

David

from your description above, I think there was a moment when you were not 'motionless'! ;D

James B

ps  Yosemite is a magnificent place.

I figured it wasn't necessary to give ALL the details. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back