News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Wayne Stiles book
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
I just found out a book has been produced about Wayne Stiles. I think the authors are known to some on this site, Bob Labbance and Kevin Mendik. Through the generosity of co-author Kevin Mendik all proceeds from the sale of the book go to a college fund for the children of co-author Bob Labbance who has been diagnosed with ALS.
Available at: http://www.waynestilessociety.com/book
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike_Cirba

Re: Wayne Stiles book
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Looks fabulous, Ralph...thanks for the heads up!

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
Thanks for the input Ralph, and my order is in with Google.  Bob's contribution to the Golf Collectors Society should be a further reason to support this wonderful person, and his family.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »
I just got this message from a friend in direct contact with Bob Labbance. I know the book isn't about architecture but I thought some here might be interested. The way they are trying to clean up family business, I fear he doesn't have much time left.

"Friends…this email is a follow up to the one I sent a couple days ago. Bob informed me that he has had his last book just released. It is the story of Harry Vardons’ Tour of America. Since this is his alone all proceeds will go to his family. If you have any interest you can find this book at; http://annarbormediagroup.com"
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:13 AM »
I have not met or played golf with a finer person.  Bob is a true lover of golf and golf architecture.  I will buy both.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
I've never met Bob but just ordered the book because I have always felt that Stiles is the great forgotten architect of his time.  Let's see if we can get 100 copies out of the site in the interest of future discussion and maybe help some guy to boot.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the link to obtain the book.  It appears there are lots of photos, drawings and stuff even I can understand...  ;) ;D ::)

I hope our response gives Bob a measure of encouragement that our GCA.com community respects and appreciates him very much.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
I visited with Bob this weekend and, while the disease is spreading, his spirits remain high. I saw a copy of the Stiles book in his office and it is wonderful and I have started reading the Vardon book and it, too, is very, very well done.

Bob is also the author of "The Old Man," a biography of Walter Travis. Although the publisher at the time dropped the ball on the production value, it is a wonderful read. Most don't realize that he handled much the writing and researching for Architects of Golf. I think he also wrote a chapter about layouts in Maine for a book on nine-hole courses but I can't be sure.

A few weeks ago, I was telling Bob how I was having a difficult time getting a person to allow me to view an aerial photograph for a magazine piece I was writing. Bob said, "he's not a historian, he's a hoarder." It was a great point and Bob would know, he has always been a true historian of the game, from the clubs to the courses and has always lent a willing hand to me and other writers/historians in our quest for information.

If you’d like to drop Bob a word of encouragement that I know he would greatly appreciate, his address is P.O. Box 709, Montpelier, VT 05601-0709.

Anthony

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:34:16 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
A couple of years ago not knowing that Bob was working on this I thought I might put a Stiles study together. This is a much better result. Bob's Travis book was a great read, and his Maine chapter rescues To The Nines  ;) I look forward to reading this and the Vardon book. His illness is a great, great shame.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:24:34 PM »
Forgot to mention that Bob with Gordon Witteveen wrote Keepers of the Green - A History of Golf Course Management. Required reading in my mind.

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »
I finished Bob's book on Vardon's 1900 tour of the U.S. An enlightening read about the state of the game and architecture at that time and the impact Vardon had. The photos, descriptions and drawings of the layouts - many of them 9-holes - is wonderful. I think it is a must read and if nothing else, buy the book to support Bob.

For those in the Vermon area, Bob and his two co-authors will be selling and signing both books on March 22, from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. at the Elks Lodge in Montpelier.

Anthony

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Bump for the weekenders -- looks to be a good book and surely a good cause.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
I've never met Bob but just ordered the book because I have always felt that Stiles is the great forgotten architect of his time.  Let's see if we can get 100 copies out of the site in the interest of future discussion and maybe help some guy to boot.

John,

I think that's a great idea. 

I've played 2 courses Stiles was involved with (Taconic, Brigantine) and hope to play and learn more.

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 03:42:43 AM »
"The Golf Courses of Wayne Stiles" is a very fine resource for anyone looking to restore Stiles & Van Kleek layouts. It conveys an immense amount of research and makes a compelling (but not exaggerated) case for Stiles as a craftsman.

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »
One of my favorites from Bob is "Golf in the Year 2100", it doesn't get much press or notoriety.
http://www.amazon.com/Booklegger-GOLF-YEAR-2100-Book/dp/B000WS0H4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1204466655&sr=8-2

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 10:05:04 AM »
Might as well mention it here and we'll start up a separate tread in due time. But in an unprecedented collaborative effort of GCA, the Tillinghast, Ross, Travis, Raynor & Stiles Societies (among others) as well as the national GCSAA and the ASGCA, there will be a fund raiser for Labbance and his family at a historic Vermont golf club, as well as auction of rounds, memorabilia, and the chance to play golf with various architects at courses of their choosing, all proceeds going to Labbance's family.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:01:11 AM by Brad Klein »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
Might as well mention it here and we'll start up a separate tread in due time. But in an unprecedented collaborative effort of GCA, the Tillinghast, Ross, Travis, Raynor & Stiles Societies (among others) as well as the national GCSAA and the ASGCA, there will be a fund raiser for Labbance and his family at a historic Vermont golf club, as well as auction of rounds, memorabilia, and the chance to play golf with various architects at courses of their choosing, all proceeds going to Labbance's family.

Brad,

I know I am not an architect but I would love to donate a round for three guys and me at the Stiles designed Norwood Hills in St. Louis, Mo.  Please keep me informed of the fund raiser and how I can participate.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 09:48:52 PM »
John:

Thanks for your very kind offer. When we have the event site and date nailed down I will be in touch.

Anthony

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 07:11:30 AM »

I justs received my copy of this book and it is fantastic.  I never had any idea that Stiles did so many courses and from what I can tell he did some really cool holes.

John Foley

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Thanks for the notice. Just bought one, lets get to that 100!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
My copy arrived today...really wonderful stuff and I would heartily second the recommendations of others.

One surprising thing to me was how much of the original 9 holes were utilized in the existing Stiles/Van Kleek 18 at Taconic.   Info I came across earlier this year suggests that the original nine was done in 1898 by the famed G.W. Parr, whose name was a bit prescient, perhaps.

I also loved the details surrounding the building of Brigantine in NJ, a course I am very, very fond of for both architectural and sentimental reasons.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 04:00:08 PM »
Mine has shipped!  Gives me something to do on non hockey nights.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Buck Wolter

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
Mine arrived today -- only have read the Norwood Hills overview but the book is very well done. I didn't know Norwood was the site of Hogan's first major win.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
I was happy and surprised to see all the great press for Norwood.  I really did enjoy the subtle slam against Taconic.  Watching MSNBC every morning tires me of the Williams girls.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »
My Wayne Stiles book finally made it to my house after spending the last three weeks on the porch of my neighbor thanks to a substitute UPS driver.

Fantastic read, the maps and drawings are wonderful.

A must-have as far as I'm concerned.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back