News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Copeland

Cuba is ready to build golf courses...
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
who wants to be first to get a dozer delivered there.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120372084292586793.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

tlavin

Re: Cuba is ready to build golf courses...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
This would be most welcome, if it develops into reality.

JMorgan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »
Fidel "worked" on his game with Che in 1959, not in 1962, because he was supposedly making a statement about Eisenhower attending a golf tournament instead of meeting with him following the first round of embargoes.  It had nothing to do with Kennedy later on.  He shot something like a 150, and, fittingly, that was pretty much the end of his interest in golf. 

Tim Copeland

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
Fidel "worked" on his game with Che in 1959, not in 1962, because he was supposedly making a statement about Eisenhower attending a golf tournament instead of meeting with him following the first round of embargoes.  It had nothing to do with Kennedy later on.  He shot something like a 150, and, fittingly, that was pretty much the end of his interest in golf. 

Well...if you want to pick nits...email the author.....that is not what this post is about

Oh yeah..... ;)

JMorgan

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »

Well...if you want to pick nits...email the author.....that is not what this post is about

Oh yeah..... ;)

Please tell me, Mr. Copeland, what is this post about, since this is a discussion board, and I am allowed to make an observation based on a topic I started a few days ago on the very same issue. 

Tim Copeland

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »
Mr Morgan...my esteemed fellow poster

I assumed this board was concerned with golf courses and golf architecture.....I may be mistaken since I am so late to come to the party........Sir

I must be mistaken......Please continue to steer me in the correct direction in the future.....I am riveted to read about Castro and his golf scores and meetings with Eisenhower and Kennedy.

I am certain you have more to add to this seemingly endless topic since you were the first to post this.....Congrats on that BTW.

I humbly await your hallowed keystrokes.....Mr Morgan sir

BTW...was it April of '59 or Oct??  Lets be precise now

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
Gents,

What are the best possible sites in Cuba?
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tim Copeland

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »
Gents,

What are the best possible sites in Cuba?
[/quote

There must be some undeveloped Gods creation along the coast somewhere

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

Golf and Cuban cigars, what a great pairing.

Will Canadian golf architects have a leg up on building golf courses in Cuba? Its someones chance to build the best course in Cuba.

I think its a good sign.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »
As I understand it there are, or were, a couple of good Ross courses there. Maybe some restoration work is in order.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »
There are some dunes in Cuba with lots of opportunity for ‘paradise’ golf courses.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

Golf and Cuban cigars, what a great pairing.

Will Canadian golf architects have a leg up on building golf courses in Cuba? Its someones chance to build the best course in Cuba.

I think its a good sign.

Yes, I think Canadian designers will -- but the truth is that Furber's experience was far from positive. Really, until the political climate changes, or the American's relax their policies, Canadians and Europeans are the only ones with a shot at working there. Helms/Burton is pretty restrictive otherwise.

The column where I wrote about the issue is here -- http://www.scoregolf.com/articles/xx-column-robert-thompson/Growing-Golf-in-Cuba.cfm
My colum
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jason Hines

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »
Thanks for the link Robert.  I would agree it will take their society opening up before anything major happens.  However, Cuba is a large enough island to offer different terrains.  I have only been there a couple of times, but when the novelty of being in Cuba wears off, there are better places to be in the Caribbean as far as destinations.  What happened to Furber does not surprise me in the least.  Beautiful land and people, I wish them the best.

If you are into cigars, and I am only a novice, there is the most incredible cigar outlet across from the national museum about .5 mile west of Old Havana. I believe it is the Partegas and Romeo y Juliet factory outlet, but I may be mistaken.

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
I went to Cuba for 2 days last year.....we should not be so naive as to think they are sitting there waiting on us....German and Canadian developers have already been there and have a jump.....IMHO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
It's been a year since this post and we have a new president that may be willing to lift the embargo.  I was wondering if anything has developed in Cuba.  Cybergolf had an article that said a number of developments are in the works but it's a tough place to work. 

Has anyone heard anything?

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
I would bet that within two years all restrictions will be lifted.

The golf courses built within the dunes there could be epic.
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Mike:

It's lucky you didn't spend a dime of your own money on your visit to Cuba.  That would be illegal under present law.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
A couple of photos of that famous match which set back the evolution of golf in Cuba. The first photo shows Guvera putting while the second has Fidel teeing off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:09:25 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

henrye

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
Never been there, but I'm told there are already something like 50+ large resorts down there that cater to charter vacations.  I think there's already something like 5 to 10 courses servicing those resorts.

My guess is, during the winter months, there's 1 or 2 flights a day packed with tourits from Toronto alone.

Financing has come from Cuban gov, European & Canadian companies/investors.

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
Mike:

It's lucky you didn't spend a dime of your own money on your visit to Cuba.  That would be illegal under present law.

TD,
I would never break the law ;D   BTW American based credit cards will not work there...all cash.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
I think there's already something like 5 to 10 courses servicing those resorts.

Really?  I haven't read about any golf courses being built there in recent years.  It's been 10 years, but when I visited there was only one 18 hole course, Varadero (which I played), and a 9 holer in Havana.

I remember seeing those big beautiful farms with golf potential along the countryside, mostly sugar cane fields, on the drive through the heart of the island, down towards the resort town of Camaguey.

henrye

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »
Eric.  I could be wrong, but someone here should know.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
This is the notice that appears on the Cuban Tourism Site dedicated to Canadian travellers re: golfing opportunities:

" Up to 15 new golf courses will shortly be under construction in Cuba, said Manuel Vila Sosa, President of the Rumbos Tourism and Leisure Group. Mr. Vila Sosa also said that work on the first course has begun in Cayo Coco.
Presently, the island’s only 18-hole golf course is the Varadero Golf Club (www.varaderogolfclub.com). "Golf is a sport that attracts a respectable clientele, a family oriented tourism, and Cuba has all the qualities to become a great destination", said Mr. Vila Sosa, who went on to say that the addition of golf courses will measurably increase the quality of Cuba’s tourism infrastructure. "

Cayo Coco info: http://www.dtcuba.com/PoloInfo.aspx?pc=51&lng=2

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:42:49 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »

Will Canadian golf architects have a leg up on building golf courses in Cuba?

Not if I move there first....  :)

They may not have the economy to support much golf for now.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »
I wouldn't support a Cuban Golf Resort with their history of civil rights abuses
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back