News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Orlando Golf
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
So, I'm headed to Orlando in a month, and am playing Grande Pines Golf Course.  I think it is the Marriot course.

Here is the website: http://golf.marriott-vacations.com/leisure/golf-courses/grande-pines-golf-club/photo-gallery.jsp

Has anyone played this course?
Thoughts, opinions..
Is this typical Florida golf?

Also, I will have time for one other course that week.  Are there any suggestions for courses in Orlando? 

Thanks!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:28:37 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

JeffTodd

Re: Orlando Golf
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »
I played it years ago when it was the International Golf Club. It was quite bland with a routing that was awkwardly looped in a figure eight around a bunch of timeshare condos. I’ve seen pictures since the Smyers redo, and while it appears that it is still saddled with the same routing (although I think they moved #1), it looks a lot more visually interesting now.

JohnH

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »
Magnolia Course, Walt Disney World

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »
Jordan, I played it last week.  In my fairly limited experience with Orlando golf, it's a good option for you.  Interesting greens & approach angles.  I really like Smyers' work, so I'd also recommend his Southern Dunes GC which is SW of town in Haines City.  Sugarloaf Mt (west of town) is quite good and worth the trip out there if you're able to get on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:58:44 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
I'm getting married in June in Orlando and need a $25-50 course for a Friday golf tournament for the boys (about 4-6 foursomes). Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in terms of value and allowing me to make those tee-times ahead of time.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:29:22 PM »
Sugarloaf is open now, but it's a private club. So, I don't how easy it'll be to get a tee time.

I played Southern Dunes during GIS week, and was pleasantly surprised. We had a great time. Although the course weaves through a housing development in some areas, there are quite a few really interesting holes (despite an overabundance of bunkers) and a number of really cool green surfaces.

I think the green fee's about $130, and Haines City is about 25-30 minutes drive south from Walt Disney World area. 
jeffmingay.com

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Sugarloaf is open now, but it's a private club. So, I don't how easy it'll be to get a tee time.

They have a stay and play package on their website starting at $89 or you can become a member of a day for $65.

JeffTodd

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
Magnolia Course, Walt Disney World
Are you serious?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
I saw a thread recently on Calusa Pines, which looked interesting.

Is that near Orlando?

Robert Emmons

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »
no...Naples

Dean Stokes

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
Jordan, I played it last week.  In my fairly limited experience with Orlando golf, it's a good option for you.  Interesting greens & approach angles.  I really like Smyers' work, so I'd also recommend his Southern Dunes GC which is SW of town in Haines City.  Sugarloaf Mt (west of town) is quite good and worth the trip out there if you're able to get on.
How can Sugarloaf Mt only be"quite good"? It's Coore Crenshaw. They don't do "quite good". Ask anyone on this site. ;)

If I was you I'd drive 30 minutes East toward Daytona. A great golf course with good undulation for Florida - Victoria Hills in Deland. We had a 36 hole golf trip there and everyone had a good day.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Jordan:

I played Grande Pines last year - and bounced that idea around this group.  You might find that dialogue on a search.  It wasn't bad - but wasn't terribly good either.  I would consider it fairly typical of Florida golf - yes.

Southern Dunes is a good suggestion.  I think the housing detracts - but the golf within the corridors is really interesting.  So is the terrain, especially for Florida.  Given the choice, I'd play it twice and skip Grande Pines.

Victoria Hills in Deland, north of Orlando 30 minutes or so is also much better than Grande Pines.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 09:28:29 PM »
I agree with Victoria Hills in Deland. I'm probably in the minority on this site but I enjoyed the New Course at Grand Cypress.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
Jordan,
Seems like you've gotten most of the better suggestions on courses in the immediate Orlando area. If you are able to get away from town World Woods is about 90 minutes west (maybe a little more depending on where you are coming from). I made the drive over when staying in Orlando for a seminar; its doable but requires some time.

Grande Pines was the course nearest the hotel so we used it for the driving range but didn't really venture out onto the course other than looking down the 1st hole (or maybe it was the 10th).

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
Steve,

I am playing in a tournament at Grande Pines so that course will be a must, but I might try Southern Pines, as that seems to be the consensus..

Cheers,
Jordan

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:19:38 AM »
Jordan - It's Southern Dunes - not Pines...  I know, it's confusing amongst all the "pines" and "dunes" and such...

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »
Grand Pines is the old International Golf Club. Steve Smyers did an outstanding job with the reconstruction (Note that I did not say renovation) particularly considering what he had to work with. Smyers was given a small footprint and established corridors to work with. He demonstrated his creativity with the green complexes which are truly outstanding! The course is not long therefore the only protection of par is the greens.

If you like Smyers' work check our Southern Dunes which has received numerous accolades in both Golf Digest and Golfweek.

Another Smyers' design recently opened in Lakeland (About 1/2 hour west of Orlando just off I4) is The Golf Club at Bridgewater. The amenities are spartan but the golf course is very good. Once again Smyers took a flat piece of property and created movement with elevated greens and mounding. These are some of the largest greens you will ever play.

Peter Nomm

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
Patrick H - I didn't play Kissimmee Oaks but I practiced there a few times, and it seems that it may fit into your under $50 category. 

The course looked OK and the practice area was in nice condition.  Looks like an older course with a lot of mature trees.  Probably nothing spectacular but it may fit in the budget.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
I second Rob Waldron's recommendation of Bridgewater in Lakeland. In fact, I might almost recommend it over Southern Dunes. If they could throw up a wal of trees in one corner where the course back up against some warehouses, it would really fly. The shaping is aggressive and

But if anyone is in the Orlando area, the absolute must-play is the newly renovated Deltona Club (formerly Deltona Hills). Bobby Weed and Chris Monti have blown up what was always a tremendous, hilly property and exposed the site's natural sand base. The massive blow-out bunkers define and give new movement to the existing corridors, several holes have been re-routed, and the pacing and combination of long and short holes is superb.

http://www.thedeltonaclub.com/layout9.asp?id=607&page=33321
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »
Derek,

While I was in Orlando a few weeks ago I heard really good things about both Bridgewater and Deltona Club.
jeffmingay.com

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
Derek,

While I was in Orlando a few weeks ago I heard really good things about both Bridgewater and Deltona Club.

Jeff,

They couldn't be more different. At Bridgewater, Smyers had a lemon of a site and really had to  convince ownership to let him make it what it became. The chain of ponds and riparian areas that lace through the property are really innovative and central to both the strategy and maintenance function of the design. He was fearless in creating some very steep and bold contour, particularly in the green complexes, and it saved the design from being either typical or mundane (as I predict it would have been been, given the budget, in the hands of someone else). There are a lot of fun and creative shots to be played there, and no repetitive looks.

The Deltona Club is just a great core golf property, right in the center of a mid-century middle class neighborhood. The topography is outstanding with large hills and also tremendous natural micro movement. Carving up the earth between holes as Weed did served two primary purposes: one, it gives the course immediate wow appeal and strategic utility; and two, these large sections of the property now do not require irrigation. And as through-the-green hazards they require minimal maintenance. The fairways are enormous but the way the bunkering shapes each hole does reward players who can work the ball off the contours. It's just a dynamic property and easily one of the strongest courses in central Florida.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
Bridgewater has really interesting green complexes and some good holes, despite the fact that it isn't on a very good site. It's a pretty fun golf course.

I would say that if you're a decent golfer who doesn't want to play it all the way back, play everything one box up with the exception of the par 5s. Play those from the back. I played it one box up and am not a long hitter and I hit two of the 5s in two. That's a complete rarity for me.

While the address is Lakeland, it is very easy to get to as it is literally right off of I-4.

The back gets a little squeezed in spots. When you're on the green of the short par 3 (16), keep your head up as you're kind of in range from the par 5 13th. Somebody is going to get hit there.

Other than that, I enjoyed the course.

And Sugarloaf Mountain is as good as everyone says. If I play a better course in '08, I will have had a very good year.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Jordan,

Check your PM and call me.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 04:09:35 PM »
But if anyone is in the Orlando area, the absolute must-play is the newly renovated Deltona Club (formerly Deltona Hills). Bobby Weed and Chris Monti have blown up what was always a tremendous, hilly property and exposed the site's natural sand base. The massive blow-out bunkers define and give new movement to the existing corridors, several holes have been re-routed, and the pacing and combination of long and short holes is superb.

http://www.thedeltonaclub.com/layout9.asp?id=607&page=33321

Derek,

This sounds very similar to what Bobby and his other associate Scot Sherman did at my club, white manor outside of Philadelphia.  Good to hear such a positive review.  I will definitily make an effort to see it next time I am in Orlando. 

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back