News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

The Greatest Course That Never Was - Book
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »
I am reading the book "The Greatest Course That Never Was" by J. Michael Veron and was wondering if this is a true story or even based on a true story?

Anyway, it is a very excellent book.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:21:59 AM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

George Pazin

Re: The Greatest Course That Never Was - Book
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Hi Paul -

I'm reasonably certain it's complete fiction. There was a thread on here after the book came out - Mr. Veron even posted (he corrected my spelling of his name, among other things :)). I'll try to find it, if it survived the site overhaul.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
Thanks George. 

I did a quick search on Bragg Point and did not find anything on this site or google but figured I would ask.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Hagel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
Good Book

Try the sequel "The Greatest Golfer that Never Was"

Equally as entertaining; and just as fictional.

Paul Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »
Thanks Bill.  That book is next on my list.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:43 AM »
Good Book

Try the sequel "The Greatest Golfer that Never Was"

Equally as entertaining; and just as fictional.

I think "The Greatest Course" was a sequel to "The Greatest Player Who Never Lived," not the other way around.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
I heard he's writing a book called, The Greatest Golf Argument That Never Was.

Greg Holland

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
I too enjoyed the books very much.

I always thought it would be interesting to see a routing of the "greatest course."  In an email, Mr. Veron told me that his friend Ron Pritchard drew a routing of Bragg's Point for him (and he had hoped to use it as the inside cover of the book, but it wouldn't fit).  I guess they never published it.     

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
I too enjoyed the books very much.

I always thought it would be interesting to see a routing of the "greatest course."  In an email, Mr. Veron told me that his friend Ron Pritchard drew a routing of Bragg's Point for him (and he had hoped to use it as the inside cover of the book, but it wouldn't fit).  I guess they never published it.     

That's interesting, and shows how memory can deceive: I'd have bet money there was a routing on the inside cover of my copy! :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
I really did enjoy reading that book, but the whole idea of a golf course being kept up over all of that time without an actual maintenance crew was a little over the top for me.

We sold some holes and relocated new ones here at my club a few years ago, and while the abandoned holes were left idle before development, it just blew me away how quickly things began to revert to state, especially in the bunkers.

Sort off topic, but I also got to see what happens to a green when you stop irrigating and spraying for dollar spot. There was one abandoned green that we continued to mow every day, and that was all of the maintenance it recieved. It played incredibly cool and fun after it really dried out and went completely dormant, but then in another 2 weeks it was thin and bumpy, and just flat out nasty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back