News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Scanned photos of Kidd's Castle Course
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
From last August's GD. Sorry about the seam, it's a 2 page photo and I'm not ambitious enough to fix it.

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Philippe Binette

Re: Scanned photos of Kidd's Castle Course
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:44 PM »
Seeing that picture:

I don't understand why they built a dune landscape on the entire property. The tie-in with the landscape is much less natural than if they would have left some farmland type of terrain along the edges here and there and built some dunes complex here and there on the property... a la Muirfield.  The general slope is probably to steep to do this though. Does anybody knows the overall elevation change

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »
Philippe -

The Finnegan article I referenced earlier today mentions elevation changes from 60 feet about sea level to 120 feet.

Here's another photo, from the same issue:

Sorry about an even worse seam. Although, at least this way, no one is going to use this and I won't get sued by the photographer!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
Can we conclude that this is neither a minimalist or naturalist course?  What does that leave us - a maximalist or manufactured course?

Looks like it will be fun to play though.

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
Faux naturalism?

Michael_Stachowicz

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »
Too bad, I read the book about the construction and was hoping for so much more.  Perhaps the aerial photos don't do it justice.  Perhaps it needs a little patina and it will be fine.

Scott Witter

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »
Curious, does any one else see and know what the groupings of what appear to be small white 'stakes' or tubular supports are?  You can see them easily near the tee on 17 in the lower right of the second picture and then proceeding across to the left.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
Curious, does any one else see and know what the groupings of what appear to be small white 'stakes' or tubular supports are?  You can see them easily near the tee on 17 in the lower right of the second picture and then proceeding across to the left.

Scott,

they are plastic tubes to protect the new gorse against rabbits.

I am sure the course will okay when you are on the property but the photos here show how poorly it fits into the general landscape.

Scott Witter

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »
Jon:

Thanks...I suspected they were for some type of new veg plantings with their multiple locations and informal arrangement.  We have to do the same sometimes to protect trees from deer.

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
 Pictures of the site prior to and during initial construction . . .

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/course_no7_toMay05.html

And some Larry Lambrecht photos in 2007 . . .

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/castlecourse_september07.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:16:59 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Grant Saunders

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »
I visited the site about 5 months ago.

I really liked the big bold contours of the greens and fairways and felt they tie together well.

I found this in stark contrast to the sharp and abrupt shapes in the roughs. It gives the impression of loads of soil being dumped and then pushed out with a dozer at the end of the day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back