News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Good architecture?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 03:18:02 AM »
As it is bad to punish the weaker player with forced carries they can not manage, it is equally bad to FORCE lay-ups for the bigger hitter.

Carl,

I don’t believe that’s a logical conclusion.

If the weak player can’t carry the hazard he has no choice but to go home, the stronger player can still keep playing by - laying up.

I also don’t believe there should be any restricting rules of golf course architecture, written or unwritten,  that all Par 4’s and 5s should allow driver of the tee.

In a round of golf on a Par 72 course there are usually 14 Par4’s and 5’s.
Surely you don’t avocate that off 18 Tees you should have the right to take the Driver 14 times?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
John:

Most good players do in fact think just that.  And for the most part, I agree with them.  I'd like to build a couple of holes on every course where driver is not the best choice off the tee, because it has to fit into a narrow area or avoid a severe hazard or might run into a difficult spot.  But I don't like to just end a fairway too soon and take driver out of someone's hands.

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »
Lou,
the question might not be whether it's a good hole or not, but rather was such a hole required in a routing that otherwise maximized the site.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back