News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Foxburg Country Club, America's Oldest Golf Course?
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
Foxburg CC was organized in 1887, a year before John Reid and the other Apple Tree Gang started playing their golf on a three-hole course in Yonkers, NY.  Yet this course is overlooked in the history of golf in America.  Golf is still played today on the very same grounds as played on in 1887, making it the oldest course in continual use in America, while the first tee at the Old Course at the Homestead lays claim to the oldest tee in continuous use in America. 

Joseph Mickle Fox, a member of the Merion Cricket Club, sailed to England in June 1884 as a member of an all-star team called the "All American Cricket Team", to participate in a number of international matches in England, Ireland, and Scotland.  Philadelphia has long been the center of cricket in America.  The devotion to the game is one reason golf and baseball took a bit longer to take hold in Philadelphia as compared to other large eastern cities.  In fact, the American team was good enough to reach the championship match, which was played in  Edinburgh, Scotland, on June 6 and 7.

Following the match, young Fox was invited to travel to St. Andrews to watch golf being played.  Joseph was intrigued, and he soon struck up a friendship with bearded old pro, Tom Morris, Sr., who taught him the fundamentals of the game and provided him with clubs and balls.

Fox returned to America and began to play golf with his friends and neighbors on the meadows of the estate his grandfather had carved out of the Pennsylvania wilderness.  Enthusiasm for golf grew so quickly, it soon became obvious that the holes Fox had laid out on the family estate, could not accommodate the number of people who wanted to learn and play the game.  So, in 1887, the Foxburg Golf Club was organized with Joseph Fox donating the land for the course.

In March, 2007 Foxburg CC was added to the National Register of Historic Places
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:55:36 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Brian Cenci

Re: Foxburg Country Club, America's Oldest Golf Course?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
Is this the oldest club in America?  For some reason I thought it was Edgewood C.C. in West Virginia was the oldest and also watched a movie "We Are Marshall" and it stated in the beginning that the oldest golf club in America was in West Virginia.  I've heard that The Country Club in MA was the oldest country club.  Anyone know for sure?

-Brian

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
Brian,

I just checked out the Edgewood CC website and it was started in 1898.

TCC in Brookline was started in 1882 and golf started with 6 holes beginning in 1894.  Both the Philadelphia Cricket Club (1854) and the Merion Cricket Club (1865) are older than The Country Club in Brookline.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
Wayne - When did Philly Cricket (1854) build its course in Chestnut Hill ?

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:02:10 AM »
I know it comes up often but why is Oakhurst Links in White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia overlooked continually as the oldest organized golf club in the country?  It was formed in 1884, clearly prior to St.  Andrews in New York.

Here's their website:

http://www.oakhurstlinks.com

Daughter of current owner Vikki Keller wrote a very nice book detailing the history and restoration of Oakhurst Links.

Ken

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
Wayne - When did Philly Cricket (1854) build its course in Chestnut Hill ?

Bill,

The first nine hole course for Philly Cricket at St. Martens was built in 1895, expanded to 18 holes two years later in 1897.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:52 PM »
I know it comes up often but why is Oakhurst Links in White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia overlooked continually as the oldest organized golf club in the country?  It was formed in 1884, clearly prior to St.  Andrews in New York.

Here's their website:

http://www.oakhurstlinks.com

Daughter of current owner Vikki Keller wrote a very nice book detailing the history and restoration of Oakhurst Links.

Ken

Maybe in the movie "We Are Marshall" this is the course they refer to as the first in America.

-Brian

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
Wayne, Doesn"t Chicago Golf Club claim to be the oldest club in the USA? I recall  being told that when playing there and seeing it on this site in the past- please shed some light should you have knowledge of this claim.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »

Wayne,

Royal Montreal claims to be the oldest "golf club" in North America, dating back to 1873. It has changed locations a few times, however.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
I thought the Dorset Field Club went back to 1869.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »
Bob, I have read that as well-I am curious as to the USA and Chicago Golf's claim.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
There are several different ways you can define "oldest":

Oldest club with continuous records
Earliest founded club
Oldest course still playing at same location
Oldest intact layout
Etc.

I think Chicago Golf Club only claims to be the oldest club in the "west".  They were clearly not founded before St. Andrews and have never claimed as much, but they did move to Wheaton in 1895, long before St. Andrews moved up to Yonkers.  This makes them the oldest of the five USGA founder clubs.

I can't remember why Foxburg's claim is disputed -- whether it is just pedigree or whether there is a gap where the golf course and club were not in use.

Ken Fry

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
Isn't Chicago Golf Club the first 18 hole course in the US?

Ken

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
Ken,

If Oakhurst Links is still in the same location as its 1884 origin, it would appear to be the oldest club in continuous existence on the same site.

The oversight with Foxburg is probably due to its location, it is pretty remote...as is Oakurst, I guess.  Those New Yawkers like to boast so it is no surprise they don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Ken Fry

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 05:03:01 PM »
Ken,

If Oakhurst Links is still in the same location as its 1884 origin, it would appear to be the oldest club in continuous existence on the same site.

The oversight with Foxburg is probably due to its location, it is pretty remote...as is Oakurst, I guess.  Those New Yawkers like to boast so it is no surprise they don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Wayne,

The course at Oakhurst did sit dormant for many, many years before being restored in 1994.  Original location, but certainly not continuous use.

I did find the following from Encyclopedia Britannica Online:

"The South Carolina and Georgia Almanac of 1793 published, under the heading “Societies Established in Charleston,” the following item: “Golf Club Formed 1786.” The Charleston City Gazette and Daily Advertiser of September 18, 1788, reported: “There is lately erected that pleasing and genteel amusement, the KOLF BAAN.” However, this perhaps pointed to the existence of an indoor facility for the Dutch game of kolf, a variety of the French jeu de mail mentioned above. Later notices dated 1791 and 1794 referred to the South Carolina Golf Club, which celebrated an anniversary with a dinner on Harleston's Green in the latter year. Although these fragments constitute the earliest clear evidence of golf clubs in the United States, the clubs appear to have been primarily social organizations that did not survive the War of 1812.

The first permanent golf club in the Western Hemisphere was the Royal Montreal Golf Club, established in 1873. The members played on Fletcher's Fields in the city's central area until urban growth compelled a move of some miles to Dixie, a name derived from a group of Southern refugees who arrived there after the U.S. Civil War. The Royal Quebec Golf Club was founded in 1874; the Toronto and Niagara, Ontario, clubs in 1876; and the Brantford, Ontario, club in 1879. In the meantime, golf was played experimentally at many places in the United States without taking permanent root until, in 1885, it was played in Foxburg, Pennsylvania. The Oakhurst Golf Club in West Virginia, which later became the Greenbrier Club, is said to have been formed in 1884; and the Dorset Field Club in Dorset, Vermont, claims to have been organized and to have laid out its course in 1886, although in both instances written records are lacking. The Foxburg Golf Club has provided strong support for the claim that it was organized in 1887 and is the oldest golf club in the United States with a permanent existence. Foxburg also claims the oldest American golf course.

Golf as an organized game in the United States, however, usually is dated from the founding of the St. Andrew's Golf Club at Yonkers, New York, in 1888. Its progenitor was John Reid, a Scot from Dunfermline who became known as “the father of American golf.” Reid, on learning that fellow Scot Robert Lockhart was returning to the old country on business, asked him to bring back some golf clubs and balls. This done, Reid and his friend John B. Upham tried them out on February 22, 1888, over an improvised three-hole layout. That fall, five men formed the club, and in the spring they moved to a course in an apple orchard. There, it is said, they hung their coats and a jug of good Scotch whisky in a convenient apple tree, and they subsequently became known as the “Apple Tree Gang.” The club made its final move in 1897 to Mount Hope in Westchester county, New York.

Other early courses included Newport, Rhode Island (1890); Shinnecock Hills on Long Island (1891); and the Chicago Golf Club (1892) at Wheaton, Illinois. The Tuxedo Golf Club in New York, founded in 1889, met the Shinnecock men in 1894 in what has been assumed to be the first interclub match in the United States. The Newport club staged an invitational tournament for amateurs in September 1894, and in October the St. Andrew's club promoted a similar competition. These were announced as championships, but that was questioned because the events were each promoted by a single club and on an invitational basis. It was from the controversy roused by these promotions that the United States Golf Association (USGA) was instituted in 1894. Its aims were to organize the U.S. Amateur and Open championships and to formulate a set of rules for the game. The founding fathers, two from each club, were from St. Andrew's, Shinnecock Hills, Chicago, the Country Club at Brookline, and Newport. The U.S. national championships—the Amateur, the Women's Amateur, and the Open—were inaugurated in 1895."

Ken

Michael Powers

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:09 AM »
Hey Wayne,
Essex County Club has always laid claim to the oldest green in continuous use in the U.S.  Any information on that?  Thanks
HP

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
Answering a few questions as i understand...

Oakhurst (1882) is the oldest COURSE still in existence (there evidently wasn't a club founded at that time)...

St Andrews (1888) has had many people dispute its claim to fame as oldest club in the US, most notably Foxburg (1887) and Dorset (1886) but there is no concrete (as opposed to circumstantial) evidence to confirm these claims...

The oldest clubs in North America were considered to be the Canadian ones from the early 1870's but there is evidence that Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica was founded in the 1860's although again, only circumstantial evidence the the golf course itself was completed at that time....

Most of this information from various Geoffrey Cornish publications... Nothing I've seen posted above appears to supercede it...

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
I thought I posted this a while back. Bob Labbance, ace historian and head of the Golf Collectors Society, wrote a piece for their publication this summer saying that Dorset Field Club, St. Andrew's and Foxburgh lay claim to being the oldest continuously active clubs in the United States but that in now appears that Foxburgh may be older than St. Andrew's, which has long held the title.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back