News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Christensen

Chambers Bay / Stay and Play Options...
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:27:11 PM »
has anyone done a stay and play option with Chambers Bay??  I see there are some hotels affiliated....anyone know about The Murano??  usual suspects, holiday inn express, courtyard

Thinking of heading out in August.....just read an the in-depth article in Golf World

Bob Jenkins

Re: Chambers Bay / Stay and Play Options...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »

Michael,

It depends on what you are looking for. If my wife was coming along (she does not golf but has been known to shop) I would book a room in Gig Harbour. It is a pretty harbour with some smaller hotels, good restaurants and artsy shops and it is not far from Chambers Bay. Just Google Gig Harbour inns or hotels and there are some interesting ones. (pardon the "u" in harbour, it is a Canadian thing). If it is a guys weekend out golfing and then a dinner with a few drinks, you are probably better off just heading to a local Holiday Inn or one of the chains nearby, so long as you can get some sleep.

I suspect Bill Cosgrove is the most knowledgable as he lives in the area.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »
I wonder if the USGA has negotiated a cut on green fees paid by out-of-towners, after awarding a US Open to Chambers Bay? If not, it might have been a good idea  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
Cos is the man in Tacoma.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 12:12:57 AM »
I guess I should be paying attention.  Tacoma still maintains a small town feel so really nice places are few.

Murano is a newly renovated ex Sheraton.  Quite nice, downtown.

Courtyard is also downton.  Very close to glass museum, Wa State Historical musuem, near restaurants. 

Silver Cloud, built over water near original Tacoma townsite.  Near several waterfront dining and drinking establishments.

There is a new hotel/motel in Gig Harbor.  Can't think of the name at this moment. 

After those you have the usual suspects.

You may also want to consider finding a bed and breakfast, several of them in town that are quite nice.  Try google. 

If you're interested in asking questions after finding something that looks interesting, send along a message and we'll talk.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:14:42 AM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »
Tacoma's University of Puget Sound offers this list of accommodations for it's visitors.
http://www.ups.edu/accommodations.xml

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »
How close do you really want to stay? It is only about 40 min from downtown Seattle. The lodgin and dining options are infinitely greater.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
maybe 40 minutes at 4 a.m. ;D

J Sadowsky

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
The Murano seems like the only luxury option - lots of budget choices, tho.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:17 PM »
How close do you really want to stay? It is only about 40 min from downtown Seattle. The lodgin and dining options are infinitely greater.

Spoken like a true Seattleite! ::)  They don't mind spending an extra 2 hours a day in their car.  It's just the lifestyle.  Bad Big S coffee and bumper to bumper traffic.  Stay in Tacoma, eat on the the waterfront, on 6th ave or downtown. Get your coffee at Gingers cafe or the Mandolin.  Should be plenty for a two or three day golf trip!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:00:37 AM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back