News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: How Open Is Your Mind ?
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
"Yes, Tom, you understood that quote correctly.  It's from a year or two back when we were discussing the same subject (penalty for bad shots, not open-mindedness).

It's a very simple equation which is utterly lost on a lot of the golf professional / architects:  if the penalty is always made to fit the crime, by their standards, then the bad and mediocre golfers will all find the game impossible and have to quit.  I don't think I am the first one to point out that is a paradox -- I can't remember which of the old-timers used the term, though if I had to start looking somewhere I would guess it was Tom Simpson."

TomD:

Maybe you aren't the first to point out the various and differing ways (paradox) golfers look at the basic issue of  proportionality and maybe you weren't the first to come up with that statement. I just think your statement "The paradox of porportionality is the heart of golf course architecture" is incredibly efficient and quite beautiful in describing the issue.

I'm at the moment reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Albert Eienstein and so I'm seeing a lot of this thing those scientistic called "a beautiful formula" or "a beautifully simple equation" so that half explains my description of your statement. I guess if someone reinterprets the Universe with a formula such as E=MC2 they deserve that description.

Don't bother to search anywhere to see if Tom Simpson or someone else said that before you----just claim it for your own. And if one of these ultra research moles on here actually finds Simpson's remark which might be the same as yours, I'll team up with you and we'll both tell him he's full of shit and completely wrong that Simpson or someone else ever said something like that. ;)

I'm glad you responded. I thought you might be winging your way to China on this Monday morning. What is it in China right now---Sunday or Tuesday?   :-*

TEPaul

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
"That's why I had a problem with that thread detailing all of Mark Parsinen's "rules" of architecture and how the golfer should always be able to discern the nuances of a green when standing in the fairway.  He seems to want a justification for every reward or penalty on the course; which is of course appealing to most low-handicap types."

TomD:

Hmmm, interesting. It's probably a subject for another time but I'm not sure what the threads on Mark Parsinen's ideas on that said but I doubt I've ever had conversations on architecture with anyone else half so interesting as those I've had with Mark Parsinen, and that idea of his I think you're referring to didn't seem to be that way in his mind.

I think he was more into figuring out some way with architecture of sort of creating greater equilibrium or balance between the risk/reward problems and solutions of the expert player in relation to the handicap player or the long player in relation to the short player. I'm not sure how obvious he wanted to make it----it seemed to me he was just looking for ways to offer it somehow. And it wasn't even that theoretical as he did offer a hole design to try to prove his thought or idea.

My memory is getting a bit fuzzy but I believe the hole design was for a course in Mexico somewhere and it would not surprise me if the hole design was yours!  ;) 

I seem to recall that but these days I'm wrong quite a bit compared to when I was younger and never wrong!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:36:40 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »
"I've spent the last 25 years or so trying to come up with whatever clever tricks I can to make my courses seem harder to good players than they seem to average players.  Some of it is about hazard placement, but a lot of it is visual and psychological, because good players generally think about the game more, and have more "rules" about fairness, so it's easier to get inside their heads.  Will never forget the day when Pete Dye, expounding on the same subject, blurted out the phrase, "When you get those dudes thinking, they're in trouble"!"

TomD:

On that note and in that vein, I'm sure you know Gil Hanse's partner or associate Jim Wagner (I think it's Jim Wagner but it may be Jim Nagle, as at this point, and in my addled brain, they seem like identical twins to me).

The last time I saw Jim Wagner he said to me:

"How many ways can you think of to really piss off the expert player?"

I said:
"Why do you want to know?"

He said:
"Because I want to do more of it."

I said:
"Are you serious?"

He said:
"I'm completely serious."

;)

TEPaul

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
"Undoubtedly there have been a few times in the history of GOLF CLUB ATLAS where I was upset about something someone wrote, but I don't think any of those instances caused me to shoot the messenger."

Oh come on; you can't be that black and white. It's not about you wanting to SHOOT the messenger. It's bit grayer (or is it greyer? ;)) than that. I'm personally aware of at least 1327 particpants on this website who feel if you are even mildly pissed at them or what they say they are likely to go into a funk-like depression that might take weeks to recover from.

There was even one out there in the northwest somewhere who after I said something critical to you or of you shot an IM at me asking me who in the hell did I think I was and how in the hell could I have the nerve to criticize THE GREAT Tom Doak?

I think I shot him back and IM saying---because I don't give a damn what a f...ing asshole like you thinks about what I said to Doak.   ;) :)

BCrosby

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »
I have not been following this thread. I should have. This is amazing. Truly.

It's as if we are staging a reincarnation here, with Matt playing the role of Joshua Crane and Tom Doak and others playing the role of MacKenzie and Behr. Almost verbatim at spots.

Plus ca change, plus .....

More later.

Bob

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:13:47 AM by BCrosby »

TEPaul

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2009, 09:22:25 AM »
"The paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."
Tom Doak (if someone says he stole that remark from Tom Simpson, don't you believe it. ;) ).

How about that one Bob?

Of course I'm not certain how anyone on here might define "paradox"----they might perceive it as just a difference of opinion, but the second-string dictionary I have at hand defines it thusly:

"a statement or propostion seemingly self-condractory or absurd but in reality expressing a possible truth."

We can all work it out later but for the time being I'll go with you and assume Josh Crane and Matt Ward are on the self-contradictory and absurd side of the ledger or definition and Behr, Mackenzie and Doak are on the possible truth side!  ;)

Of course I would not, at this point, be averse to exploring the possibility that Doak, Behr, Mackenzie et al are the ones who are actually on the absurd and self-contradictory side of this issue and that most of us on their side should now recognize that everything about architecture heretofore known and accepted and loved by us is nothing more than putrescent bunkum that should be allowed to freely flow into the abyss and trash-heap of architectural history.

And do me a favor and despense with those French remarks. I don't cotton to French or the French; never have, and I think we could all probably agree that no matter which side of an issue or debate they may decide to take they couldn't possibly be truthful anyway!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:36:56 AM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
When TD wrote several years ago: "The paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture," I thought it was one of the most interesting things I'd ever heard anyone say about golf design.

Come to find out, that was at the heart of what troubled MacK, Behr, Simpson, Croome and others about Joshua Crane's analysis of golf courses in the 1920's.

Why it is a problem (or a "paradox", as TD puts it) to give primacy of place to things like proportionality, control and predicatability raises a nest of very thorny, fascinating issues. Issues that the best architects of the Golden Age spent a lot of time wrestling with 80 years ago.

I think it is THE debate in gca. And it's still very much with us.

Bob

Tom_Doak

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
I know you know this, but the paradox is that if you proportionally reward all shots, you will drive most golfers away from the game before they even get started.

I would expect the rebuttal to this to be a misapplication of TEPaul's Big World Theory, that there is room in the world for a few Pine Valleys.  Well, of course there is.  But those, to me, are far less interesting than a few more St. Andrews would be.  And unfortunately, no one (not even me) is building anything like that.

TEPaul

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
Bob:

I'm mulling over your reply #131, as I'm sure you know I've been mulling over this basic subject for a number of years.

And I hestitate to throw a Behrian curve ball at you on this over-all issue at this point, but I'd like to offer something I was reading from him yesterday anyway.

I think we realize or at least feel that Behr was perhaps the strongest proponent of the maintenance of various forms of luck and randomness in architecture in some sort of natural look and application but in his article "Naturalness in Golf Architecture" he also singled out a few things such as tees, greens, fairways and even sand bunkering (primarily in areas with no indigenous sand) as those features of golf that were both "civilized aspects" and "distinguishing" features.

When I see a guy like Behr using a word like "Civilized" (and defending it) in one of those articles of his on architecture (that very well may've been mostly in reaction or response to what Crane had been saying and proposing) it definitely gets my added attention. I think I understand how a man like Behr looked at the idea of "civilized" and what he essentially meant by it.

Do you think perhaps that was a form of common ground in that great debate back then between them that both Behr and Crane missed and therefore failed to really engage their debate and perhaps better resolve the entire issue?

He also mentioned in the previous sentence;

"It seems to me, however, that if architects are right in their contention that no course should appear other than the result of nature, and that such contention carried to its logical conclusion must result in the ridiculous, we have taken the word Nature too literally."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:06:18 AM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
I know you know this, but the paradox is that if you proportionally reward all shots, you will drive most golfers away from the game before they even get started.

Yes. Maybe. But why exactly would a strict regime of "proportionality" drive golfers away? That question requires answers at a number of different levels. MacK, Behr and Simpson strugled with it and came up with a range of fascinating answers.

Also agreed about TOC. It is amazing to me that all really good gca issues seem to circle back, sooner or later, to TOC. Maybe that's as it should be. But it's still amazing. What a place. Or is TOC more like a happening? ;)

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
The true test of an enlightened observer is how much they can stomach the weaker player being able to get away with poor shots here and there (as long as they continue to play brilliant recovery golf).  This is by far more important than whether they can stomach the occasional bad bounce, which in hindsight, is always due to not giving the offending contour proper latitude.

This is sheer genius.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
"I know you know this, but the paradox is that if you proportionally reward all shots, you will drive most golfers away from the game before they even get started.

I would expect the rebuttal to this to be a misapplication of TEPaul's Big World Theory, that there is room in the world for a few Pine Valleys.  Well, of course there is.  But those, to me, are far less interesting than a few more St. Andrews would be.  And unfortunately, no one (not even me) is building anything like that."

TomD:

I'm not so sure I would agree that if you proportionally rewarded (or penalized) all shots you will drive most golfers away from the game before they even get started, but perhaps I'm not thinking this all through correctly or in various ways where proportionality may have some chance of working for all levels of golfers.

So just for the sake of argument let's look at the various ways proportionality may work somehow by analyzing what all golfers are at least capable of doing in the same way and then analyzing what all goflers are definitely NOT capable of doing in the same way.

It seems to me there is nothing particularly unfair about asking or requiring via architecture that ALL golfers hit the ball with some degree of accuracy because we certainly know any golfer is at least capable of doing that (surely some much more often than others but nonetheless everyone is at least capable of it).

On the other hand we sure do know that most golfers will never be capable of hitting a golf ball certain distances no matter what they do. We all know that just isn't possible---eg they are physically incapable of that.

Sure playing from the appropriate tees should compensate somewhat but we know far too many don't do that anyway and probably never will.

It may seem incredibly counter-intuitive, at this point, but it occurs to me that the best way to resolve this problem is the way it was once done in golf----play everyone from the very same tee markers and then simply DESIGN for their one inherent incapacity----eg lack of distance.

Since this is actually what the Rules of Golf required up until about a century ago this is the way TOC worked during most of its existence.

Isn't there a real lesson to be learned about both golf and golf architecture from that? It may require stripping away the layers of various architectural fixes and solutions over the years for THIS CLEARLY ONE inherent inequality amongst all golfers, but nevertheless it just might provide the most enduring architectural and golfing solution of all. If golf could once work so seemingly well that way it should be able to again!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:36:35 AM by TEPaul »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »

The question is how open is your mind?

I enjoy all styles of golf courses. My criteria is FUN.

I think 14 at Bandon Trails is fun. I understand the critism but it is a fun hole.

I approached Tobacco Road with an opened mind but after playing it I discovered that my likes were more traditional that I had believed.

Also the same experience with the greens at The Castle Course. After playing it I'm not as opened minded as I thought.

Great topic.

Anthony

Tim Nugent

« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »
Threads like this are the main reason I read these (but boy does it take alot of time).  I find it interesting to get a glimmer of what others like/dislike.  Does this mean I have an open mind - only to a certain extent.  By now, I have a pretty good understanding of what I favor.  Is it what I design? Not really.  Some design  for themselves and let the chips fall where they may.  I don't operate in that areana.   It's not that I don't want to, it's more a sense that I have to be responsible with other peoples money.  Before anybody gets their panties in a bunch (which seems to happen alot on this site) the above has absolutely no bearing on any other designer.  As dad used to say, 'if everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be fighting over the same girl".

This thread started out as querry of contrasting styles.  It seems to have gone further and included strategy and critique.  Can the two (sytle and strategy) be divorced or are they bound together? Can there ever be unbiased critque?  To the 1st, I think they can, to the 2nd, I don't think there can.

To illustrate the 1st, I had proposed in the #10 Augusta thread that it would be interesting
to change the bunker style at ANGC from the moon craters they presently have to the CP style.  Don't move any of them, just reshape them.  The strategy would remain intact, the aesthics would change.  Granted this is eye candy, but I would find it personally more appealing.  When I played Pasatiempo (sp?) 5 or 6 yrs ago, I was disappointed that the bunkers were so bland for a Mac course.  Now that TD has restored them, I would hazard that I would like the course more.  Do I like everything TD does, no, but this doesn't preclude me from thinking that I might appreciate the above.  On the same trip, I did have the chance to play The Valley Club where the bunkers had just been redone and was glad as they had such a visual impact on the course.

The problem we run into with a discussion like this is that almost never will we get the chance to see 2 designers tackle the same piece of property.  But, note how many times owners of side-by-side courses will either A) get 2  or more different architects to provide variety (Bandon is an example), or B) instruct the architect to do the courses in completely different motifs (World Woods, Grand Cypress).  Once in a while, even the same architect will end up with varying 18's when doing a 36 hole project just for variety.

It has been said previously that today's access to media allows golfers to be better educated than in the past.  I think this has changed the Internet generation of architects and is what is differenting their work for that of the Modern age architects.  It also could be a reason in the future we see less emphasis placed on Branded architects and courses are judged more on thier own merits. (although don't expect this to show up in the "rankings" as the leemings just regurgitate what they think others think -but don't me started on that).

My second point, can the ever be unbiased critique, the reason I don't think there can is like it or not, everyone has there own person preferences and these will subconsciencely creep into anyones critique.  Take TD's attempt at honest critiqu in his CG.  He acknowledges his bias toward courses that suit his game and against Modern design.  But I do give him credit for making the attempt.  I do find it interesting how many people will defer their own judgement to someone they preceive as an expert.  I have asked members "do you like that?" and have gotten "I don't know, you're the expert" as a response.  Yes, I'm an expert - expert at knowing what I like, if I was an expert at knowing what you liked, I wouldn't ask the question.

Sometimes I think people don't express their opinions because they don't have the fortitude to stand up to anyone who has a different one.  Almost as bad is those who get defensive and feel they have to blast anyone who disagrees with there opinion.   Sure, it hurts when you get critized, but as TD inferred, you need a thick skin to be in this business.  At least we architects put it out there to be criticized.  I wonder how well some of the vocal critics would take it if they produced a real course, with real world constraints.

I used to read the reviewer's comments that Ron Whitten would send out with the course rankings.  When I read stuff like "it's in a housing developement" or has great views of...", I quickly gave up on caring about rankings.  To me, I look at each hole as it's own entity.  It doesn't matter what is going on outside course because it is something the architect has no control over and doesn't impact how the hole is played.  But if it influences raters, then I don't have any use for them.  And the criteria alone sets in bias.  This became painfully evident when they started tinkering to get the results they wanted - points for walking, points for tradition... what does this have to do with how a hole is designed? Nothing.

So, please, tell us what you like and dislike and why.  If you don't agree, just say why.  Accept that it is entirely possible for someone to like something for the exact reason you detest it (and vice-versa).  As designers, we are big boys and know that it is impossible to please all the people all the time so we (I) don't try to.  I just follow my conviction and try to "do the right thing".  I am probably also my own worst critic but I have learned to keep that to myself.  seems there are way to many that will take self-criticism as "he screwed up".

I had an owner ask me the other day, with the supt present, (I'm doing a new hole on adjacent land on a course that was redone (except the greens) looking back on other 18, what would I have done differently.  When I said I wished we had done fescue edges on the bunkers (it is a pure sand site) because the bluegrass just looked to manicured for what I was after.  I saw terror in the eyes of the super and the owner said although it would look good, he would be worried about his regulars finding it too difficult.  Then he asked mewhich holes did I think were the weakest.  Luckily, we concurred.  Then he asked which was my favorite, he was surprised with my answer.  Ask yourself, if you had been in my shoes, what would you have said/done?

Tom Paul, didn't someone recently try to build one out in west Texas? Mike N maybe?
If we followed your prescription, does that preclude all forced carries? Or is there some distance we should expect all golfers to be able to achieve?  Afterall, I seem to remember areas of gunch between tee and fairway at St A.  but not between fairway and green.  So, if we do allow for some forced carry, do we only allow it off the tee and not to the green (the burn fronting #1 not withstanding)? What about in the middle of the hole (#18)? I guess like the definitiion of "is", I would need to know your definition of "distance".

Anthony, Having not seen Castle Course, what about the greens made you realise your not as open minded as you thought you were?
Coasting is a downhill process

Matt_Ward

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
Tom D:

Rub-of-the-green outcomes are part and parcel of the game. No doubt you cannot have a 100% set outcome with every situation because it takes away from the unpredictable nature of what golf should provide.

Tom, good players do understand this element but likely there are those who detest the unpredictable bounce or deflection.

However ...

My point on proportionality is that great courses have a tendency to reward / penalize proportionally on a somewhat consistent basis -- hence the reason why they are great to start with.

If all outcomes were completely arbitrary and totally random then the nature of shot separation and identification would be rendered meaningless and the nature of the architecture flawed, in my mind.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

Tim,

The greens at The Castle Course had too many undulations for my taste. This truly suprised me because putting is my favorite part of the game and I like undulations.

The good golfer would not like the greens at TCC because of the bounces from the approach shots. The degree of chance and luck are higher.

Anthony

Tim Nugent

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »
Anthony, by "too many" undulations do you mean there is just too much packed in or are they too large (ie Dove Canyon)?  Is there smooth spots where you can pin without a double-break within a 12' diameter?
Coasting is a downhill process

Anthony Gray

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »
Anthony, by "too many" undulations do you mean there is just too much packed in or are they too large (ie Dove Canyon)?  Is there smooth spots where you can pin without a double-break within a 12' diameter?

I would say both. Roller coaster stuff. Dove Canyon looks like fun to me. At TCC you can actually have putts that break either way, depending on which ridge you want to come in from. I have only seen that at Whistling Straits before.

Anthony

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
Bob C -

the fact that parallels exist between the Crane-Behr-Mackenzie debates and the ones that go on today strikes me as truly remarkable.  

The game has changed so much (e.g. the emergent dominance of the professional players/tours and their ever-increasing influence on the game's ethos; the huge growth in participation rates, with 25 mllion amateurs in America alone etc), and yet the fundamental question/debate about golf's fields of play continues on as it always has, albeit with slightly different, and I'd say less conscious, language

Which is to say: then and now these kinds of questions/debates can seem esoteric and impractical -- but nothing could be further from the truth

Peter
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:59:52 AM by Peter Pallotta »

John Kirk

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
I'll continue to try and disprove the idea that golf courses can disproportionately reward or punish one type of player.

Let's start with an obviously biased golf course.  Every par 4 and par 5 has a lake positioned between 200 and 280 yards from the tee.  Perhaps 0.2% of the golfers are good and strong enough to attempt the carry on every hole, and have a huge advantage.  Next, players with the ability to accurately place 190 yard drives have an advantage.  Still, the expert has the advantage, since he should be the superior player finishing the hole from there.

You can extrapolate the concept by placing this undesirable water hazard at various distances on every hole, and you will bias the course for a specific set of golfers.

Similarly, let's say every green is sloped hard from the right side to the left side, so that left-to-right shots hold, but right-to-left approaches roll off the green.  That's "unfair", as it strongly favors the right-handed fade or slice, which in fact, would benefit both poor golfers and the experts who can fade it, while leaving behind the inbetween guys, plus Rocco Mediate.

If hazardry and undulation do not consistently appear at a given distance, AND if the hazardry and undulation do not favor one curving shot over another, THEN there's little or no bias.

Let's take a real world example, the beloved Masters tournament.  Between 1997-2002, the winners were Woods, O'Meara, Olazabal, V. Singh, Woods, Woods.  After that, the course was narrowed, lengthened, and certain fairway bunkers guarding doglegs were expanded and placed at specific distances off the tee (319 yard carry).  Since then, the winners were Weir, Mickelson, Woods, Mickelson, Z. Johnson, Immelman.  I believe a further analysis of each leaderboard would indicate that the average length driver on the pro tour gained an advantage, and a better shot at winning the green jacket.  Tiger Woods, everybody's choice as the best golfer, will have a more difficult time winning the tournament.

A better example of a course I see as not reliably separating the best players is Carnoustie.  Why that is true I'm not sure.  In 1999, it was a tie between Van de Velde, Paul Lawrie, and J. Leonard.  Further analysis is required.

Perhaps Tom Doak's reference to pro players wishing to see "fairness" is a desire to maximize their dominance, akin to raising a course slope.  Some courses favor shorter, straighter hitters; some favor long hitters.  As I see it, unless you are too consistent with hazardry and undulation, the course will separate players by their abilities.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
John:

My reference to "fairness" is that good players so want to be proven the BEST player that they object to anything which their opponent might complain skewed the outcome.

Matt:

I think you are miscast in the role of "Joshua Crane" in Messrs. Paul and Crosby's obsessive re-creation of the Behr-Crane debates.  To cite just one example, I would hazard a guess that Joshua Crane would have HATED those little bumps at Tetherow that you so enjoyed.  But that just goes to show that it is a much bigger world out there than the bipolar one of Behr or Crane.

Still, you have to be careful when you wield the word "proportional" for fear that someone will carry it to its logical conclusion, which would make for very boring golf.  I know you're not a proponent of that.  As John Kirk says, though, it would be VERY difficult to design a course that did not reward the better player ... because if it rewarded the shorter hitter, the long hitter could still club down and presumably have an advantage from there in.  (See:  Tiger Woods, Hoylake, 2006.)

Tim N:  Glad to see you join this debate, and defend criticism.  Perhaps you can nominate me for the ASGCA after I re-release The Confidential Guide.  :)  But, I don't know if you would enjoy the restoration of Pasatiempo much more, or not.  We found along the way that Dr. MacKenzie's original bunkers were mostly SHALLOWER than what had evolved there, so that's what we tried to restore.

I also disagree with you about "unbiased" critique.  You point out, correctly, that everyone has their own worldview and it's impossible to keep that out of one's critiques.  But, if you are clear with the reader about your own general thoughts, I don't think that makes you biased. 

"Bias," to me, is when you can only praise things that conform to your worldview, or when personal or hidden considerations cause you to say something differently than just what you feel about the architecture.  So, everything I ever wrote about Pete Dye's work has to be taken with a grain of salt ... even if I went out of my way to show I was unbiased by criticizing him for some things ... and, unfortunately, I now know enough modern architects (from Jack Nicklaus to Bill Coore to RTJ II to Mike DeVries) that anything I say about any of them would be viewed with some skepticism.  And once you disqualify everybody I know personally, you've taken away a lot of the modern architecture worth writing about.

TEPaul

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
"Tom Paul, didn't someone recently try to build one out in west Texas? Mike N maybe?
If we followed your prescription, does that preclude all forced carries? Or is there some distance we should expect all golfers to be able to achieve?  Afterall, I seem to remember areas of gunch between tee and fairway at St A.  but not between fairway and green.  So, if we do allow for some forced carry, do we only allow it off the tee and not to the green (the burn fronting #1 not withstanding)? What about in the middle of the hole (#18)? I guess like the definitiion of "is", I would need to know your definition of "distance"."

TimN:

The kinds of questions you asked above can be dealt with in some appropriate ways obviously---that is if golf in the future ever decided to do such a thing----eg play everyone off the very same tee markers as very early golf once did.

My suggestion and my point was prompted today (even though I've thought of this before) when Tom Doak mused that in his opinion TOC is wonderful in many ways and isn't it odd that no one has really ever tried to copy aspects of it, not even him.

It just made me realize again that as old as TOC is it clearly played that way (all golfers off the same teeing space and specific area----eg same distance) for a couple of hundred years under the actual Rules of Golf because they required EVERYONE to play from the same place. My point is if that was true back then even under the Rules of Golf then why wouldn't it be possible again even though the Rules no longer require it?

What would the forced carry minimum distance have to be in that case? Good question but over a century and more ago do you think the weakest woman was physically capable of carrying a tee shot more than about 75 yards? Probably not. Women certainly played TOC a century and more ago so that should help answer your question re distance minimums.

One real obstacle to what I suggested though is that it probably wouldn't be reasonable or cost effective to retool most all the courses that have been built since that Rule re teeing area began to change and under the R&A Rules of Golf it began to change very slightly in 1877 so it would include most all the courses in the world which have all been built since then.

What I am talking about could be a new paradigm for golf architecture but isn't it interesting that that paradigm has a real base in original golf and in it's actual Rules no less?!

It also occured to me that in the entire spectrum of capability of all golfers at any time in history there is really only one single aspect with which golfers are physically incapable of equality and that is distance. So rather than force them all into a form of artificial equality with distance with multiple tees (which most never accept or are realistic with anyway) why not do away with different tee markers for different golfers and play them all from the same place as golf once did? That way the design ramifications of the realities of physical distance capabilities could just be dealt with in design "through the green" rather than at the tee?

And not just that but then physical inequality in distance amongst all golfers (which again is their only true physical incapability that leads to true inequality) could simply be reducible to a more natural comparison----eg strokes taken to get from the beginning of a hole to the cup for any golfer!

TOC once did it that way for hundreds of years and if it did so can we in the future particularly with new courses in the future (again forgetting about all the courses that were built since that tee area Rule of Golf changed from what it once was).

I'm suggesting a whole new paradigm not for today's architecture but for the future's which ironically was the way it once was and actually had to be due to the Rules of Golf. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:20:04 PM by TEPaul »

BCrosby

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
"I would hazard a guess that Joshua Crane would have HATED those little bumps at Tetherow that you so enjoyed.  But that just goes to show that it is a much bigger world out there than the bipolar one of Behr or Crane."

Don't know about Tetherow since Crane wasn't around to see it, but he loved the little bumps at Taylor's Mid-Surrey.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
Matt, you will of course hate me for saying this, but it doesn't seem to me that you are asking others to have open minds, you are telling them to agree with you. That's the crux of our disagreement on BM - I know I have my preferences (God knows everyone on here is probably sick of reading them), but you somehow can't accept that my preferences are different from yours. Mine are wrong and yours are right, in your book.

What is open minded about that?

John Kirk -

I'm enjoying your posts on proportionality, I hope to have something to add later.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BCrosby

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
Bob C -

The fact that parallels exist between the Crane-Behr-Mackenzie debates and the ones that go on today strikes me as truly remarkable.  

Which is to say: then and now these kinds of questions/debates can seem esoteric and impractical -- but nothing could be further from the truth

Peter

It IS remarkable. More so than I would have guessed at first. And yes, those old debates still play out today in some very concrete ways. I might even go so far as to suggest that knowing a little about them helps shine some light on modern debates.

Bob   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:58:34 PM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back