News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Torrey Pines update
« on: February 15, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
An update on the courses at Torrey Pines and how the playing traffic will be handled leading up to the Open.

The North Course will be converted to a 9 hole experience starting March 3, 2008 and will close to the public starting May 1, 2008.  You will still be able to book tee times through the automated system with your resident ID number, but it will be for 9 holes only.  If you would like to play 18 holes on the North during this time frame you will have to see the starter after your first nine to be worked back into the tee sheet. 

The South Course has been closing for play at 1 pm and will change to 2 pm starting March 9, 2008.  There will be no twilight times on the South prior to the Open.  This is being done to reduce the traffic on the first nine holes, which receive more play and more wear than the back nine. 

Due to the increased demand for the South Course, tee times are limited and will difficult to acquire through the automated system.  We recommend making reservations through the advanced reservation program, well in advance, for the months leading up to the Open.  The number for reservations is 858-581-7171, choose option 6, and is open Monday through Friday, 9 am to 3 pm. 

Thank you for your patronage and your understanding. 

John Howard

Golf Starter Supervisor

Torrey Pines Golf Course
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

Re: Torrey Pines update
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
When does the South close to public play?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »
 Mike, I've heard someone say end of April and someone else say mid May. I don't know for sure.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
So do we have any predictions as to what the grass blend will ultimately end up as?  The kikuyu experiment is over with, right?

Seems odd to me that the one time in the world someone invited kikuyu to the party that it was a no show.

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:54:29 AM »
David, "nine hole experience" suggests something dramatic at the 9th green beyond the normal end of a half-round. I know that's not your term, it's the starter's, but sounds like someone there has been to "golf p.r.-speak school."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:56:27 AM by Brad Klein »

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
David, "nine hole experience" suggests something dramatic at the 9th green beyond the normal end of a half-round. I know that's not your term, it's the starter's, but sounds like someone there has been to "golf p.r.-speak school."

"Nine Hole Experience"...sounds like something on the Playboy channel.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »
Which 9?

Since presumably the holes around the clubhouse will be used for tents (1, 2, 3), as the driving range (9 and 10), etc.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
So do we have any predictions as to what the grass blend will ultimately end up as?  The kikuyu experiment is over with, right?

Seems odd to me that the one time in the world someone invited kikuyu to the party that it was a no show.

You are correct, the Kikuyu was a failed experiment, Ryan. Alot of money was wasted in that effort.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
Which 9?

Since presumably the holes around the clubhouse will be used for tents (1, 2, 3), as the driving range (9 and 10), etc.

Matt, I'm not sure. I've been curious about that myself. I'll be doing a recon of the place in the next couple of weeks and I'll shoot some photo's.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »

Brad, I think this all part of the U.S Open lexicon any more these days, as you well know. They probably did send them to p.r. school! ::) ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back