News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Frank Pont is now posted
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Of the 1,500 registered participants to this Discussion Group, how many of us wouldn’t qualify as an armchair architect??

Based on various posts, I wager very few!

Yet, the romanticized version of golf course architecture - the architect is called to build an oceanside course through dunes - is so wildly different from reality as to be thoroughly depressing. Indeed, the more architects with whom I get to speak, the more I admire them for their perseverance and determination than perhaps other qualities normally associated with the profession. A long time ago, my vision/version of a golf course architect was someone who worked on great golf courses. As a totally useless and clueless guess, yet in typical GolflubAtlas.com fashion of not letting facts ruin a good story  ;D , I bet that no more than 10% of today’s living architects get to work on a ‘great’ course during their career. A lot of that depends on how one defines great, of course. For the purpose of my statement, I say a course that doesn’t merit consideration among the world top two hundred.

Having said that, and in an effort to get to the point (or is that Pont? 8)) I motion Frank Pont for being among the smartest architects period because he gets to do what architects are supposed to – work on great courses!  Though a newcomer in the past five years to this profession, Frank has already worked on at least five world class courses - Royal Hague, De Pan, Kennemer, Cruden Bay and Fontainebleau. That resume impresses me to no end. 

Meanwhile, the real life of most other golf course architects is the opposite  – indifferent land with which to work, no budget, an all-knowing owner, environmental restrictions galore, housing/cart path/road concerns, etc. In sort,  :P

Now I freely admit that Frank has yet to design his own original eighteen hole course (though he has done three nine hole courses). Finding original work in the Netherlands is slow going, and perhaps not but so appealing, as it would be away from the dunes and in the flat interior. Regardless, here is an architect who has made the most of his situation from his base forty minutes southeast of Amsterdam. Importantly, his grasp on the classic elements of golf course design lead me to believe he would make for an excellent candidate for a new eighteen course as well. Until that day comes, hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview with someone who is diligently bringing back into focus some of the great gems in continental Europe.

Cheers,

John Mayhugh

Re: Feature Interview with Frank Pont is now posted
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
Now I really have to get to the Netherlands to play.

I enjoyed the interview a lot, especially the description of rebuilding greens at Royal Hague. 

Frank's last comment about people contributing golf course pictures surprised me a little.  I love the golfarchitecturepictures.com site but just didn't realize I could contribute pictures.  Should have read more closely.  That site would work better if photos were labeled with hole numbers, but I have to admit that most of my own aren't well identified.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
he gets to do what architects are supposed to – work on great courses! 

WHAT?

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
Wow, thanks for such a thorough interview. I'll have to re-read it a couple times to be able to digest all that info, but it is much appreciated.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
Amazing how in such a short timeframe Mr. Pont is able to do more than some who've spent a lifetime calling themselves professionals.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
 Amazing how a man can get to his position of architectural trust; working on restorations of Colt and Simpson, until you realize his straightahead confidence and thoughtful research.  Especially considering his late arrival.

Couple of quotes of interest . . .

"I envision that (Frank Pennink) decided to focus on his greens and spend less time and money on the surrounds and bunkering, assuming he could always come back later to redo them when more money would be  available. I have termed this approach the “Casco” method."  F Pont         

Sorry if I am missing the obvious but is "Casco" a euphamism for cash cow?

Also . . . 

"I find Colt the smart expert craftsman, Simpson the eccentric creative genius. Simpsons worst holes are far worse than those of Colt, but his best are in my view often even better than Colt’s best. Simpson was definitely better in building natural looking bunkers than Colt, and he and McKenzie might have learned a few tricks from each other’s work (if they ever saw it…). However I would have Colt do the routing if my life depended on it." Frank Pont

Thanks again Ran.  Another great interview.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Frank Pont

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
Sorry if my using the word Casco was unclear. It is a building term for a house that has been roughly finished, but where the walls have not been plastered yet, the kitchen and bathrooms still need to be installed etc. The same can be used for a golf hole, where you have done the rough shaping, but none of the more time consuming and therefore expensive detailing.

Norbert P

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »
Thanks Frank. 

Found this image of Rhoon at your website . . .

That looks like a very challenging site for a couple of golf courses.  I'm imagining topography like Venice.    Assuming the blue is water.

Sorry if the explanations are at the website but I don't speak or read much Dutch. Just sort of grind along with the little German that I know.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Frank Pont

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
I also have an extensive English section on my site, look on the Home page in the lower right hand corner, it shows an English flag which if you click on it brings you to the English part of the site.

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
. . . hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview with someone who is diligently bringing back into focus some of the great gems in continental Europe.

Cheers,

Bump.

"I love the golfarchitecturepictures.com site but just didn't realize I could contribute pictures."  John Mayhugh.

It was news to me too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:44:05 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
. . . hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview with someone who is diligently bringing back into focus some of the great gems in continental Europe.

Cheers,

Bump.

"I love the golfarchitecturepictures.com site but just didn't realize I could contribute pictures."  John Mayhugh.

It was news to me too.

Here are the guidelines to submitting pictures to the site:

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Pages/contact.html

And the easiest way to get them to Frank is by zipping them up into one file, then sending that zip file to him via YouSendIt.com.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back