News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

IM Profiles
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
In the past when wanting send a private  e-mail or call a fellow GCA'er, I would click on the name and get the information.

I did the same and the following came up. What gives?

"An Error Has Occurred!
Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile. 

Back"

Bill_McBride

Re: IM Profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
Bob, every post now has a green icon in the lower left under the poster's name.  You click on that and up comes the IM blank message screen.  It's a lot quicker than going through the earlier routine.

Mine would no doubt be faster if I cleared out some old messages.

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks Bill, that helps.  It would be nice if the message that Bob copy and pasted would say what you just said. 
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
If you can't view "just any profile" then whose can you view? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
Apparently the only profile you can view is your own.  I suspect that Ran and Co are working to get this resolved.  It does make sending IM's more difficult.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
The ability to send IM's has been made easier by the addition of the button shaped like a scroll on the left side of each post. It even changes color(green) when the poster is online.

I can send out twice as many IM's seeking access in the same amount of time, compared to the old software. How efficient is that?

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »
Apparently the only profile you can view is your own.  I suspect that Ran and Co are working to get this resolved.  It does make sending IM's more difficult.

Or they are working to allow us to make buddy lists. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Joe,

Glad that works for you, but if I have to search for a topic where a person posted rather than just looking up their profile I'll never get on the courses I drool over. ;)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »
Joe,

Glad that works for you, but if I have to search for a topic where a person posted rather than just looking up their profile I'll never get on the courses I drool over. ;)

Maybe some day we can share access tips and tricks...... :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »
I have just received this IM.

Fortunately... 

...you are still easy to find on the first page.  Otherwise I would have had to begin digging to find you and send this message:

Has the Moderator indicated whether we will soon be able to view other's profiles?

Bob

MargaretC

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

One of the reasons I occasionally access other profiles is to read previous posts.  Reading one writer's posts provides continuity that is missed when re-reading a particular thread because of the number of other writers.

I hope that functionality returns.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
Margaret: A word of advice - don't try to review TEP's posts - he has a team of writers working for him and you will die trying to keep up.

MargaretC

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
Margaret: A word of advice - don't try to review TEP's posts - he has a team of writers working for him and you will die trying to keep up.

Busted!  :-[   Geez!  Am I that transparent?  :o  I'm glad that you have "confirmed" my suspicion that he has a ...team of writers working for him...  Who could imagine that one person could be so prolific?   ;)

Art Roselle

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 09:55:10 PM »
Did anyone ever figure out how to view member profiles again?  I still get the error message.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
It still doesn't work last time I checked.

Additionally you can't upload pics to the site anymore...it appears the upload folder is full.   :-[

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »
I know that at one point a leading architect came out against people being able to read his past posts.  I do miss the feature because I go all over the country meeting people from this site and like to read up before I decide.  I do not think I would have gone on my recent Bandon trip with a couple of posters if I was not able to go back and read what they had said about a course my brother designed.  note:  What they said was fair and honest.

I also had a guy challenge me recently who liked to use a ton of exclamation marks in every post.  I would have liked to have found out if he was out of high school (I doubt it) before I responded.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »
I like the profiles to see where people are from.

If someone is looking for advice on courses in a certain area, I think it makes a difference if they are coming from 300 or 3000 miles.

Jason Connor

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
If you want to IM someone not from a post, here's a trick.  Go to google and type for example to IM me:

"Jason Connor" site:golfclubatlas.com

This will bring up one or more of my posts.  Click a link to a thread (not for example the Contributions page which comes up first when I googled my own name), then you can click the green icon below my name (or whoever you want to IM).

This should work for anyone who has posted.

It also works to search prior posts but isn't all inclusive.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
I know that at one point a leading architect came out against people being able to read his past posts.  I do miss the feature because I go all over the country meeting people from this site and like to read up before I decide.  I do not think I would have gone on my recent Bandon trip with a couple of posters if I was not able to go back and read what they had said about a course my brother designed.  note:  What they said was fair and honest.

I also had a guy challenge me recently who liked to use a ton of exclamation marks in every post.  I would have liked to have found out if he was out of high school (I doubt it) before I responded.

Was that me John????????

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
No Matthew...But you even asking explains why it is important to know who the minors are.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
No Matthew...But you even asking explains why it is important to know who the minors are.

Why?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »

Why?

Because I do not need a paper trail of inviting 14 year old boys to my house.

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »

Why?

In Matthew's case the paper trail would probably help to exonerate you. :)

I do like to view profiles because I like to see where folks are - which reminds me to bump the who are you guys and where are you guys threads....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

Why?

16 in couple of days. I can't honestly think of a better age to be, I bet in your heart you wish you were my age again ;)

John, I would love to come to your house (to rip you out at poker!) LOL OJ OJ LMFAO GYT( Just checking if you know what these mean!)

Oh, and back to the curse of my age, physics coursework 25% of a two year course in a couple of hours.....easy as....

G2G
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:27:33 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Paul Sinclair

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
Here's what I have been using to search for posts by author in lieu of the old method where you could view someone's profile and pull up his/her posts from there. This isn't as good as the old method but it's about as close as I've found via the search engine.

1. Go to "Search"

2. Click on "Advanced Search"

3. In "Search For" box, type in "a e" (leave quotes out)

4. In "by user" box, type in user whose posts you want to find

5. Under "Options", choose "Show results as messages"

6. For "Search Order," choose whatever order you wish to see the posts in.

When you get the search results, all the a's and e's in the posts are highlighted in yellow which is distracting but at least you can sorta kinda get the same function as when you could search an author's post from the profile area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back