News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

HamiltonBHearst

Re: Slightly OT -- The Best "19th Holes" in Golf
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

Well it looks like Friars Head is the winner ???.  Does it lose points if it changes the brand of beer?  ;D 

Might you guys be just a little too influenced by the quality of the golf course? 

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
 8) I would think that someplace serving Grain Belt Beer would come in higher than a PBR offering..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »

Well it looks like Friars Head is the winner ???.  Does it lose points if it changes the brand of beer?  ;D 

Might you guys be just a little too influenced by the quality of the golf course? 

Hambone,

You missed my post.

Sincerely,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ken Moum

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
Some of my favorites have to be:

Cruden Bay, for the view
North Berwick, for the history

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Lester George

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »
Kinloch Golf Club - After you play the 19th hole you can overlook it from the "other" 19th while your friends play in.

Lester

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
The practice putting green at Bethpage around 3 am on a Saturday in the summer.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

james soper

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »

Also heard Isleworth is fun to watch the pickup basketball games and Adios is nice too.

Patrick, Adios has a great locker room that flows right into the bar and grill room. Heard alot of good stories in that locker room while partaking in some libations. Old Memorial, Seminole, Medalist, and Burning Tree are also second to none.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:10:23 PM by james soper »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 05:24:06 PM »
I know a lot of places in Montreal that are better than the putting green at Bethpage at 3 AM in the morning, but they're not near a golf course...

Andy Silis

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »
I second East Hampton Golf Club!

FYI: No more cigars at Olympia Fields or any other Chicago club after the new smoking law went in to effect January 1st!

Prohibition is just around the corner!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »

For indoors, the pub at St. Andrews Golf Club off the 18th green at TOC is a very special place as well.

Just make sure you've got your street shoes available - no spikes (hard or soft) allowed!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 05:46:55 PM »
I know a lot of places in Montreal that are better than the putting green at Bethpage at 3 AM in the morning, but they're not near a golf course...

I think you are referring to an entire different set of holes, Phillippe. As a Houston resident, I too am a fan of what is known locally as the "Westheimer Ballet".
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Silis,

If they ban wine, you're welcome up this way!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »
There's a little BBQ place across form the WalMart in Madison that has great company, but you gotta watch for the sign!
Jim Thompson

tlavin

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
Belfair has an awesome men's lounge.  Olympia's 73rd Hole is pretty special.  And it's hard to beat Ben's Porch at Sand Hills, although that's not really a 19th hole.  My personal fave is probably Bel-Air because of the room, the view and the approachable celebrities.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »
The Best 19th  - Sorry, some of you are just totally wrong -  it has to be in Scotland  ;D

A True Golfer knows that everything else is just a poor imitation of the real thing ::)

The 19th  - The only time you don’t want a Eagle or Birdie and are much happier to settle for an easy par 6 (pints) – watch out for the Out of Bounds because that right slap can hurt. It is also the only place that the older, more mature and wiser golfer can match, if not, out perform all the Professionals by sinking that shot in one, time after time, after time!  :P

Scott Whitley

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
Aberdovey for the wonderful atmosphere and cask-conditioned ale, moving on to the Penhelig Arms at some point in the evening.

Darren deMaille

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
Mr. Silis you are right about Prohibition, i heard that next year they are prohibiting fun at East Hampton.  19th hole at East Hamtpon is out,  Try Murf's  in Sag Harbor next time. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 06:33:08 AM »
HCEG
Prestwick
R&A
The Berkshire
Sunningdale - apart from the members only bar.
Royal St.Georges - no course views though
Royal Porthcawl
Cave Nil Vino

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
Golf Digest is out with their Top 50 list of the best golf watering holes in the US.  This group has probably seen a few, and studied their designs carefully.    I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones, but here are five of my favorites:

Oakmont CC
Barnbougle Dunes
Olympic CC
Pinecrest Inn Pinehurst
Pub at Bandon Dunes

Rob

The Patio at Aronimink is outstanding.  Great drinks, great views, great atmosphere.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Best in Phila. without a doubt, and among the top 5 anywhere.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »
That would be a 4th vote for Aronimink.  Great Patio and great atmosphere, great place for a drinks on a summer afternoon/evening...

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with the view from Kapalua's dining room and bar. Classy place with big views of 1, 9, 18 and more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbrill/2052258888/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avocado8/418392955/

gookin

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 05:23:23 PM »
The patio at Old Head. Guiness, mussels, and cuban cigars. It doesn't get any better.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »
I am quite partial to Royal Aberdeen, Hoylake, Woking, Swinley Forest, Delamere Forest, Blackwell and Gullane.  The homey feel of Swinley and Gullane is very attractive.  The spike bar at Blackwell is very cool - like an old-time pub and its right on the way from #9 to #10.

Ciao

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:07:15 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
I love Kapalua's as well...windows open, little birds darting in and out but never bothering anyone.  I just never thought of it as a 19th hole for some reason...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
Henry Longhurst wrote in 1958
  "... I have to think of myself as something of a connoisseur of bars...but I think that the surroundings in which you drink make a great deal of difference and that many golf clubs have been very unimaginative in the sitting and decor of what after all is the 'happiest' room in the club."
  "Though it is not every club that is lucky enough to have the opportunity, there is nothing in my opinion to touch a bar with a view. The finest bar I have seen in any club in the world - and I have said this many times - is at the Thunderbird Club in the desert in California, where the Ryder Cup match was played some years ago. The course is as flat as a pancake, but there is a fine view of the mountains a few miles away, and as the sun sets behind them a magical peace comes over the scene, as in a tropical twilight, and even our American friends, if they will forgive me saying so, tend to fall silent."
  "The bar at Thunderbird runs the length of a big room, parallel with the window looking out towards the mountains, but here is what makes it different. You sit down to the bar not on high stools, but on low leathers chairs and settees. Behind these the floor is raised so that those who sit at tables or stand up can see over the heads of those who are sitting down. Furthermore, the floor behind the bar is sunk a foot to 18 inches, so that the barmen, as they stand up, are about on the level, face to face, with those who are sitting down and do not obstruct the view."
  " I have always wished that, while they were spending money on new bars at Turnberry and Gleneagles, where the views in their different ways are both 'out of this world', they had adopted this principle..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back