News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Art Roselle

Leadbetter's take on the Golden Age
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »
Did anyone else see the tip from Leadbetter during the Northern Trust coverage today?  The tip was not important, but I found his comments about "old style golf courses" sort of interesting.  Here is the exact quote

"Certainly at Riviera, an old style golf course, there are a lot of tight fairways.  The older style golf courses have a lot more trees, obviously.  The modern golf course is a little more wide open."

I don't know what he means when he says "older style" or "modern," but my general stereotype is the opposite.  I guess some older courses have a lot more trees now and have become narrow, because trees have had more time to get big and many have not been controlled properly.  So, his statement may actually be correct,  but the "style" of older courses certainly was not based on tight fairways, and I think the style of many modern courses is based on exactly that.

I have found TGC's covereage of Riviera to be pretty good.  They have talked a lot about the strategies of the various holes and did a nice blurb on George Thomas (even mentioning Crump and Wilson in the process).

David Stamm

Re: Leadbetter's take on the Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »

"Certainly at Riviera, an old style golf course, there are a lot of tight fairways.  The older style golf courses have a lot more trees, obviously.  The modern golf course is a little more wide open."

I don't know what he means when he says "older style" or "modern," but my general stereotype is the opposite.  I guess some older courses have a lot more trees now and have become narrow, because trees have had more time to get big and many have not been controlled properly.  So, his statement may actually be correct,  but the "style" of older courses certainly was not based on tight fairways, and I think the style of many modern courses is based on exactly that.

Art, I think you pretty well summed it up. The trees have had time (in Riviera's case, much more time) to grow in compared to the more modern courses. Many of these "older syle" course designers never envisioned trees to play such an integral role in their designs. Most wanted the wider playing corridors that Leadbetter is attributing to the moderns.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back