News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: The Perfect Bunker
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 05:17:02 AM »
 l prefer the North Berwick version - so do the players by the look of the number of pitch marks. :)

Is there a special name for these kind of bunkers - would it qualify as a "coffin bunker" or is just a "trench bunker" or perhaps a "ditch" bunker.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 06:13:43 AM »
For long, narrow bunkers nothing I've seen beats the cross bunker on the 17th at Muirfield.  I don't have a picture but I recall someone posting one after the GCA meeting there early last year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JMorgan

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
For long, narrow bunkers nothing I've seen beats the cross bunker on the 17th at Muirfield.  I don't have a picture but I recall someone posting one after the GCA meeting there early last year.
Mark
Agreed re the 17th at Muirfield.  I thought James Bennett took a photo of Philip Gawith in that bunker but I haven't been able to find it even with the improved search engine :(
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »

Because most of us went to a DESIGN school.

Ryan, perhaps that's the problem. ;)  Where did Ross, Raynor, Mackenzie, Colt, Tillinghast and Flynn go to school?  How about the rabbits and sheep at The Old Course?

"So where do you go to school?"
 - Flounder to other patrons at the Dexter Lake Club

JMorgan,

You aerial of North Berwick nearly brought tears to my eye.  I fear I will never get back there.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:56:36 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »

This one Mark?

I can see why you might find it memorable.

Oh that’s why

Mark Pearce, front row, second from right.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
Tony,

That's the one (the one in your second picture).  The one I was in is its little brother.  Back there next weekend ;D
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Bennett

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »

This one Mark? - No Tony.  That is the tenth hole at Muirfield.  The cross-bunkers on the second shot, some distance from the green.

I can see why you might find it memorable. - Yes Tony, that one (and see below)

Oh that’s why - No Tony, that is another bunker again (I think)

Mark Pearce, front row, second from right.
Tony Muldoon, tall bald head with coloured beard
James Bennett, tall bald head with yellow hat and grey beard (so that you can distinguish us).
I am glad Ed Getka wasn't there as well - it would be like the set of 'my three sons', or perhaps ''the three stooges'.

Here are 4 shots of the approach to #17 (par 5), and the coffin bunker on the right which is at the right length to catch the second shots of mere mortal golfers.

The first shot is the approach to the cross-bunkers, with green in background.

My partner showed great skill to 'lay-up' just short of the deepest (rhs) bunker. (edit - my bad.  I just remembered that it was foursomes, so it was actually ME that 'laid-up' with consummate skill (and inability to carry the cross-bunkers).  This was a critical hole in our close match, and so a critical, skillful shot eh Ace Bill/Phillip  :o)

Here he is playing his third (edit, OUR third).  Nice shot Andrew.

Phillip Gawith just wanted to try a shot from this bunker, so he threw a ball done and had a go.  His technique is more about power, so the sod face got a cracking wallop with the first attempt.  What was genuinely interesting was to see how this bunker can escalate problems.  The second attempt was closer to the face, and a steeper higher face as well.  The further to the right you progress in this bunker, literally the deeper you are into the coffin.  In a stroke round, death can confront you on the 17th hole in the coffin bunker.  Let the records note that Phillip was 0 for about three or four in attempts to get out.

James B
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:00:53 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
James,

I think you're right, Tony's first picture is the 10th.  I went in the cross bunkers on the 17th the firts time I played at Muirfield and haven't taken them on since, so I'm sure I wasn't in any of them last year!  I think Tony's second picture IS the 17th cross bunker, though.

I can't see any odds in playing any shot from that bunker than back and sideways, since even if you do get it out forwards it isn't going more than a few yards.  The problem with back and sideways (at least for a right handed golfer) is that it points you at the left cross bunker.

James Bennett

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 01:14:34 AM »
Mark.  I agree that Tony's second photo is the right hand coffin on #17 at Muirfield.  I suspect you were playing out of the left hand one in Tony's third photo.

Is that right?

It is tricky picking holes at Muirfield from photos taken on a dullish day isn't it.

James B. 
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tony Ristola

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:34 AM »
the texture is variable and often times the material don't fit the style or shape or location due to either not being able to regionally source the right sand particle size and shape, or too cheap of a budget to get it right... etc.
Hmmmmm, and a little surprised considering the source.
I think there's too much emphasis on particle size. Bunkers are hazards, and if you can expect to draw a challenging recovery recovery because of the sand's uncooperative particle properties... grrrrrrrrrreat!

There are sands that perform better for their specific bunker though, if that's what you mean... ie reduction in the number of washouts for flashed bunkers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:39:23 AM by Tony Ristola »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back