News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Re: Guess where and the arch, part 2.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »

I assume that it is the hole at the top left unless they moved the clubhouse.

David Stamm

Re:Guess where and the arch, part 2.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »
I guess it's not a secret anymore to Jeff and Allan. The photo is of the 18th at San Diego CC, one time employer of Ralph  Guldahl and long time home to Billy Casper as well as the 1964 U.S. Women's Open winner Mickey Wright. For years SDCC was attributed to Billy Bell, which as you can see from the bunkers, was not the case. The original arch was in fact Willie Watson. John Kirk's observation was very astute as the bunkers are virtually the same in style as at the original Ocean course at Olympic.

Thanks, David, but it was a wild assed guess, based on my belief that you would post a California photo, and it looked like it might be near the ocean.

Willie Watson also did Belevdere in northern Michigan, and Ralph Livingston has lots of info about Belvedere, including a fine 1930s era aerial photo, if Watson's other work is of interest to you.

Come on, John, give yourself more credit! ;) Thanks for the info about WW and Ralph. I would like to learn more about him. Watson is a real mystery man of the GA.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back