News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Persimmon Woods in a Major
« on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
This question cropped up at work the other day. I dont know the answer and was wondering if anybody on board here knows for sure.

Who was the last player to win a major using a persimmon driver?

I can picture Tom Kite at Pebble Beach in the 92 US Open using a wooden driver.

Did Bernhard Langer still use persimmon in the 93 masters?

Doug Sobieski

Re:Persimmon Woods in a Major
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
I'd have to guess David Love at Winged Foot in 1997. Only a few weeks after Justin Leonard won the British with one, if I'm not mistaken. They were the last persimmon stalwarts out there.

Can anyone guess the last major won with hickory shafts?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:12 PM »
Love and Leonard both used the 975D.  Langer was the last to use wood, in '93.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »
Love and Leonard both used the 975D.  Langer was the last to use wood, in '93.

Kevin:

Good call. Leonard and Love both abandoned persimmon earlier that summer according to some old Golf World's.

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
I have gone back to using one these days, a year and a half and counting,(after witnessing Sean Tully completely enjoying himself with one) for the sound it makes, the fun of it, and the ridiculous challenge...but I am still seeking my first major victory.

Nice topic, I really wish there was still a place for wood in golf.  At least once a year.  How macho must those guys have felt winning with wood.  I give those last few to change over a lot of credit.  Tiger should do it for a year on tour and see how dominant he could still be.  ??????????

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
Leonard might have had a metal driver but I think he still had a persimmon 3-wood

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:39:11 PM »
I have gone back to using one these days, a year and a half and counting,(after witnessing Sean Tully completely enjoying himself with one) for the sound it makes, the fun of it, and the ridiculous challenge...but I am still seeking my first major victory.

Nice topic, I really wish there was still a place for wood in golf.  At least once a year.  How macho must those guys have felt winning with wood.  I give those last few to change over a lot of credit.  Tiger should do it for a year on tour and see how dominant he could still be.  ??????????

I suspect he would be just as dominant as long as he left it in the bag and used the 2-iron off the tee all year long.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 02:16:16 AM »
What did Tiger hit in the 1997 Masters?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 02:52:06 AM »
Metal. Cobra, I think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back