News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren deMaille

Falcon's Fire
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »
Last week I had an oportunity to play Falcon's Fire in Orlando.  It could have been the most boring golf course I have ever played.  The course was in great shape but every hole was awful.  I guess the average joe thinks course condition determines how good a course is.  

Jay Cox

Re:Falcon's Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
Darren,
What did you think made it awful?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »
Last week I had an oportunity to play Falcon's Fire in Orlando.  It could have been the most boring golf course I have ever played.  The course was in great shape but every hole was awful.  I guess the average joe thinks course condition determines how good a course is.  

But the real question is were you able to get a photo of the group you were playing with in the shop after your round?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:45:54 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Darren deMaille

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
Kyle, fill me in what you mean in the pro shop.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
The one time I was at FF they took our picture on the first tee and when we finished the round they offered to sell us each pictures of our group for $15 or so a piece.

It was a perfect fit to the experience there.

Darren deMaille

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
Jay, the bigest thing that made it awful were some of the largest green side bunkers i have ever seen. 3 holes come to mind. http://www.falconsfire.com/ff_rack_card.pdf
This a hole where you have a short wedge in.  One way for traffic to travel and as a riding course kills pace of play.  Not to mention having to maintain a bunker that half of it will never see a ball.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:56:09 PM by Darren deMaille »

Darren deMaille

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
I agree the experience was a nice touch even the fresh made bloody mary's right in front of you from the not so hard to look at cart girl.  

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
I agree the experience was a nice touch even the fresh made bloody mary's right in front of you from the not so hard to look at cart girl.  

Now there you have it...it wasn't all that bad was it  ;)

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »
Last week I had an oportunity to play Falcon's Fire in Orlando.  It could have been the most boring golf course I have ever played.  The course was in great shape but every hole was awful.  

How could every hole be awful with "a cart girl who wasn't hard to look at"?  Did she only visit between holes? Was there a problem with her mounding?

Where did I go wrong in my training? :(
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »
The one time I was at FF they took our picture on the first tee and when we finished the round they offered to sell us each pictures of our group for $15 or so a piece.

It was a perfect fit to the experience there.

Kyle as usual you need me to negotiate for you, in 1998 they only charged $10.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 01:19:16 AM »

I got one in Florence, Oregon that could be more boring.... ;D
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 06:20:27 AM »

I've played this once. It was in good shape, relatively cheap, and inoffensive. I'll be damned though if I can remember a single hole.

I've never liked Rees Jones courses....but I think I only realised it after reading this site.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Peter Nomm

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 09:11:16 AM »
I was there a week ago too.  Didn't play but stopped by to get some info about taking some members on an Orlando trip next winter.  It did look well conditioned from the drive - wall to wall green.  

They were absolutely booked that day - in fact when I was standing in the shop a single came in they couldn't put him out for 2-hours.  

I think, though, that the course accomplishes its purpose.  The average visitor likes the green color, probably gets around in a decent pace, and they can keep the register "cha-chinging" all day long.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back